1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum. After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum. Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis. Sorry for the Inconvenience, but we hope you understand that this is needed to prevent the community from being ridden with malicious users!

Stomach Function

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by nonchalant, Apr 5, 2017.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

A long time ago someone here mentioned that stomach function was a lot more involved than people usually think. I know that water is absorbed through the stomach lining, and of course about the acid and the churning, and the valves at the top and bottom. But I recall that this person talked about the different regions of the stomach doing different things, and I know Jack has mentioned that certain nutrients, such as DHA and D-ribose, are shuttled away quickly, and don't go the usual route. Or is that in the small intestine?

Can someone suggest a good, mid-level book to read? I'm sure it will probably just be conventional wisdom, but I'd like to learn more. Do different branches of the vagus nerve in the stomach function differently?

Which brings up another old forum question from long ago--why does the vagus nerve stop at the descending colon? Inquiring minds want to know!
    caroline and Linz like this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks, Drezy!
    Jack doesn't disagree that we can synthesize much DHA, does he? That's why we eat so many oysters. In fact I think recently he mentioned that algae and seaweeds don't help as much, since their DHA isn't paramagnetic, in the SN-2 position. Apparently we aren't that good at flipping the switch. Maybe we need better grounding to be good at it, like our ocean buddies. Or insects, on the other hand.

I know my guinea fowl sure fly a lot after I've fed them some mealworms. On cloudy days they are pretty sedate, but if I feed them worms they will be on the roof and in the trees making all kinds of racket. I guess grass and seeds only go so far. They have cleared out all the grasshoppers in this part of the county (a miracle, I tell ya) so they have to get their DHA somewhere. They have been acting more like chickens, this year, scratching under the leaves for bugs.
    caroline likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

@nonchalant

No mam. The ALA -> DHA conversion efficiency (or lack thereof ) itself is mentioned in that article. AKA don't think your flaxseeds are doing it for you. As a fellow Texan, I assume we are both eating the same gulf oysters which are direct DHA.

I assume you have the guinea fowl for the eggs. I always had a minor carnivore's moral dilemma until I tried raising chickens. On a perfect 3 acre setup they one-by-one chose to run to the neighbor's fence, hop it, and get crushed and gnawed on by a dog. Though I have a low tolerance for animal cruelty, I realized that mankind has domesticated these creatures into something incredibly dumb. I still feel a moral weight with being a carnivore, but not so much with chickens anymore.