1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Stock tank - tips tricks

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Lyndra, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ljbprrfmof

ljbprrfmof New Member

That sounds expensive.

I saw on a survival webpage how to make a simple charcoal filter where the water drains down through sand and charcoal to a discharge chute/pipe to make potable water. I wonder why you couldn't add a salt substrate to the device and put all in a water softner brine tank.

Found a link to commercially available pools, I have not read it yet.

http://www.biotop-natural-pool.com/referenz-teiche.html

I have not found my link for the home made filter. I will keep looking. I believe it was in a grocery bag.

2. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

If you add a salt substrate to any filter won't the water just disolve the salt and then the tub will be full of salt water. I was looking for something fast, safe( bacteria wise) and cheap. So far chlorine or bromide does the trick. We are only talking about 100-150 gal. of water, and a big involved salt sytem seems like over kill. If I lived in a spot with piped city water to my house, I am not sure I would do anything other than change the water every couple of days, and use the waste for garden water.

3. ljbprrfmof

ljbprrfmof New Member

I believe that is the principle behind the system. The disolving salt both softens and purifies the water. An added benefit is that salty water can be chilled below 32°F.

LJ

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

This is what I'm going to be doing...the question I have to deal with is how I'm going to manage the water in the winter... not sure I want as much turn-over...but I may get DH on the ball w/this... to figure something out cheaply - we may just turn on the outdoor water spigots from the main switch (We turn them off in winter) when its time to clean & refill the tank, then turn it off when Its full

5. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

It is easy and cheap enough to filter and chlorine or bromine the water. My filter was 39.00 and the chlorine/bromine dispenser was 5.00. With the filter system I can use the return hose to direct the waste water to a sink or away from the house so it is not a frozen mess. I figure to move the tank into the garage for the winter. I have gas heat in the gaarge, it is insulated and I usually keep it at 40 degrees. Not sure I will be able to stand 40 degree water, but if I can it should give me the big time benefit of CT. If not I guess I will kick the temp of the garage up to whatever I can stand, or heat the tank.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

can you provide links to your filter/dispenser?

also can you take pics and upload to???

7. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Intex filter bought on EBAY. It is the smallest cheapest one they make. The chlorine dispenser was also purchased on EBAY. No brand name just searched "hot tub chlorine dispenser" about 5 bucks.

8. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Now the next step is to find an aquarium heater that will work in a tank. I am looking at immersable titanium tube heaters somewheres between 500 and 1000 watts. I won't keep my tank outside in the winter as we are likely to get -30 F for a bit of time, and normal temps at night are usually -5F, but I would like to keep it outside in the sun, and not have it freeze at least for a month or so more.

9. RayB

RayB New Member

An update on my refrigerated stock tank project. This update is the 3rd generation of this project. It is completely self-contained and only requires an electrical connection.

Specs: 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank undermounted beneath a fiberglass top.

Insulated with 6" of closed cell (2# density) foam , approximately an R Value of 36

Refrigerated with a 1/4 hp water/aquarium chiller

Heated with a 350 watt inline heater

Dual mode (chill/heat) thermostat set to a 1 degree differential

Pond filter with integral 700 gph pump and a 9 watt UV sterilizer

Automatic cabinet ventilator ... comes on with the chiller to remove excess heat

Approximately 70 gallons of water with 20#'s of magnesium sulfate (epsom) and 10#'s of magnesium chloride (dead sea salt) and a couple of tablespoons of potassium iodide (excellent germicide)

Custom paintjob

It’s been working excellently since the early fall. So convenient, no need to haul ice and always at the set temperature. Inexpensive to operate…so far throughout the winter and cooler months at the northern Gulf of Mexico is has cost an average of $3 per month to operate. Our electric rate is $.12/KWH and we keep the thermostat set at 45 degrees.
    With the warm weather lately, early indications with my best guess is that we can expect the operating cost to run as high as $12/ mo. in the summer. But, it all depends on how many use the tub and what your preferred temperature is. Most efficiency is gained by running the tub at night when the ambient temp is low.

The heater is very seldom used. It is only used for prolonged temps below 45 or during hard freezes to prevent the plumbing from freezing up. The heater is nowhere near powerful enough to used the tub as a hot tub.

The water has never been changed in the last six months. It smells as fresh and it looks as clear as the day I first filled it up. I do brush the inside of the tank every week or two.

I use a foam lid to insulate the top when the tub is not in use.
    coldtub.jpg

Mike David, jwhb77 and poprock950 like this.
  10. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

Nice! How many $ in that project?

11. Vicster

Vicster New Member

Ray, that is awesome! I spend far more than $12 a month on ice so I may have to look into making one of these!

12. RayB

RayB New Member

It's hard to say how much it cost. I spent way more than it cost...that's what happens when doing R&D...with all the do-overs, trying to get it right. I am sure it is less than a commercial ice maker.

13. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

I have been hoping that some info on cooling would be forth coming with the weather getting warmer. My wife would love the looks of your tank in comparison to the black bare tank that I sit out in the aspen trees just off our deck. Guess I need to look into insulation and an aquarium chiller. Even though it is getting warmer in Wyoming, my tank was 47 degrees inside my garage, so I hopeI have a month or so before I worry about moving outside.

14. RayB

RayB New Member

Hey Cowboy... I built a CT previously using batts of fiberglass insulation and down south with the high humidity the tank was always sweating and the insulation and wood framing would stay soggy. Although, batts are way less costly it may work in Wyoming. The cabinet has a partition between the equipment and the insulated tank side. Try to keep as much of the plumbing on the insulated side. This helps a lot in efficiency... so the plumbing doesn't gain too much heat.

15. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Even in Wyoming we would get some sweating and soggy insulation, so foam has to be the way to go. I messed with ice last summer and it was a pain trying to keep it cold enough. This winter with the tank in the garage the lowest I got was 39 or so and the highest I got was 60 degrees when it was 70 outside.

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

With all this talk of copper and zinc being transition metals, perhaps I should not consider a galvanized tank as a CT tub. At least with the Rubbermaid, I wouldn't have to worry about touching the freezing metal.

17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

just get the 100gal rubbermaid stock tank Sally. its $75 so its not too expensive - and worth it when it gets cold (you may have to work a bit harder than I will to keep it cold)

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks, Gretchen. I plan on just refilling it with well water whenever I want to use it in the Summer. Not real cold, but sustainable in the long run for me, and won't have to worry about mosquitos, 100F temps, keeping the water clean, etc. Plus the epsom salts will help the pines and cedars. Probably will just dunk my head in an icewater bucket. Hopefully by then I won't get ice cream headaches while dunking. :) Good thing they stop as soon as I lift my head. Sigh... I need more optimal dura.

19. poprock950

poprock950 New Member

Wow RayB,
    this is a beautiful. I would love to build something similar, do you have any advice on plumbing this system? Any advice would be much appreciated.

20. Q. C.

Q. C. New Member

I like to just use the bath tub. I have a chest freezer and put frozen milk jugs into the bath. When I am done I do NOT drain the water. I just leave it for three or four days. I can add a bit more ice as needed but it stays pretty cold. I have a window in the bathroom that I keep closed. Reducing the sunlight into the bathroom slows down the chance of algae growth. I only drain the tub when someone else needs it or it starts to get a slight feel of slime or too dirty. Doing this makes it so that I am more inclined to use the tub several times a day or use it for short periods of time when I am short on time. I like to cool off before work, late at night, early in the morning, before and after exercise etc. I keep a washcloth in the tub to rinse cold water over my head and neck. Having it always ready makes this possible. Leaving the water in the tub keeps it always ready, saves money and makes it very available and convenient.
    Q.C.

jwhb77 likes this.