1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Stock tank - tips tricks

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Lyndra, Apr 17, 2012.

1. RayB

RayB New Member

I just had another thought. Do ya'll think I would be going a little to neolithic if I added some Tiki torches, plastic flamingoes and some white Christmas lights?

2. Tiki torches -NO

Plastic Flamingos, white Christmas lights - Hell yes

3. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

I like it. I have freezer in need of repair I hope to canalize parts for similar setup.

4. RayB

RayB New Member

I think that might be difficult. Freezer evaporator coils are not compact like a dehumidifier.

5. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Johnnyb if you make one, Mr. Krusing and I will be showing up at your doorstep for our turn in your tank....!! We haven't got a yard for one. Maybe we can collaborate on this thing.....!!

6. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

I expect to harvest most every thing except the evaporator coil. The evaporator should be well attached to the chest freezer tub and poorly shaped. I will build a custom shaped one. Since I'm chilling water it should be able to be a lot smaller. It may also be better to switch to a TEV from the cap tube. It I were buying a new device for re-purpose I would consider an dehumidifier or an AC unit. In general AC units have more BTU then freezers.

7. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

Krusing you are always welcome. Sounds like the 150g tank is large enough for both of you to CT at the same time. This will be a Fall project.

BTB, I'm planning to grab diner right after work and hit Corona del Mar. If anyone wants to join in or meet at a different beach please speak up. I'll check back here before the end of the day.

8. RayB

RayB New Member

johnnyb, It sounds like you might be an ac or refrigeration mechanic. Btw, I've decided to replace the plastic heat exchange coil with a copper one. Too much temperature diff between the antifreeze and the H.E. effluent. I wonder if were related...we've got the same last name.

RayB

9. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Has anyone used any of the various aquarium chillers or lab chillers that are available (lots on EBAY)? Until the last few days my 150 gal tub has stayed under 55 degrees. We have had temps in the high 90's the last few days and only cooling off to the 60's and the tub temp is creeping up to 60-65. I have been using frozen milk jugs and am able to get it down to 57 degrees but would like to be in the low 50's with potential for mid 40's. I am not refrigeration handy enough to do the above discussed project, with coils and heat exchanger, not to mention the wife acceptance factor unless it looks reasonable. The tub was almost too much for her. I am hopeing some one tried a chiller and is getting great results and will post about its cost usuage and ability to chill.

10. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I recently got a 150g stock tank and that sucker is huge. It would easily fit 3 people in or a posse of kids. Since it is two feet deep and 6 feet long and two feet wide I dont have much worries about sloshing water over the sides. It weighs about 49 pounds and I picked it up at the local farmer's store. It came with a three year warranty and he said I can just set it out on the concrete patio if I like.

What I don't know how to do is get that plug out of the drain hole. It looks like a plier type thing would be needed to twist it out. I don't know if it screws in or out. Wonder if I could replace it with some kind of wine cork or something. (I am totally not handy about this stuff.)

I have a new attachment to put on the kitchen faucet and run a hose out to the tub. I live in a town home and the outside faucet is on the front of another town home. I was thinking just to get a tarp to cover it--it is freaking 102 degrees today-- and shower before I get in.

11. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

There are two brands of stock tanks that I could find in my area. Rubbermaid and another brand whose name escapes me now. both have a threaded plug that will unscrew. Unscrewing is counterclockwise. You will need either a "crescent wrench" or a set of channel locks or a large set of pliers. a wine cork will not work. You could also unscrew the plug, bring it to a plumbing shop and tell them that you want to put in a ball valve into the threaded hole, with the plug in hand they will know the proper size and be able to set you up with the pieces to screw into the threads that will allow you to add a valve to let the water out. Cost of the parts should be under $15, including a small roll of teflon tape to wrap the threads with to prevent leaking. Who ever is working at the plumbing shop will most likely help you and put the teflon tape on the threaded pieces. Hope this make sense.

12. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

Amazingly, it does. Thanks. Now I don't stare it and think "OMG, what did I do?"

It is a poly stock tank not Rubbermaid. He didnt tell me the brand. He said it would stand up to being abused and kicked by the livestock. :)

13. Hey Tank Masters - I'm trying to decide between the 100 and 150 gallon. Just looking at them the 100 gallon looks big enough, but I just don't have the nerve to sit in one at the store. Is 100 big enough for someone about 200 lbds?

Thanks for the valve info Cowboy!! I'm going to print out your words and take em with me!

14. You go girl.

I bet "sanitation" is much bigger concern in the summer than when the ambient temps are below 50!

15. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

I could see no reason to get the 100 gal tank. the 150 allows me to stretch out with everything but my head and hands beneath the water. It would work for two but I don't think it would be real roomy. Also more water means the pollutants from your own body are diluted more, and with more water mass it heats and cools up or down more slowly. I did add a filter to mine and it does help keep the water cleaner. also use hot tub chemicals and test the water every few days.

16. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

Yep, I figured on emptying it every two days or so. I don't pay for water so and it is so freaking dry out as you know the yard will love it. And if we get fire here it will be a nice place to hide. lol

I bought it in Commerce City for about 120 with tax. Here's the link.http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page19/index2.html

It was only 50 pounds but I put it in the back of my SUV and it sticks out and you can only see with your side mirrors.

I saw the 100 gallon tank but I would not be able to stretch out and more water would probably slosh out. I am 5-4 so the 150 gallon is fine for two or a bunch of little kids. I did tell the guy I wanted it for soaking muscles in cold water and he didn't blink an eye.

17. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

Hey Cavemam

When we all get our pools we should have a progressive paleo kruse dinner pool party. We can stretch from Denver to Boulder and check out our set ups. LOL

18. Greg rx

Greg rx New Member

forget chlorine or bromide, go for iodine. Iodine works as well on bacteria but not on allege. Iodine absorbs thru the skin. There are commercial preps for farmers that you can get by the gallon. My local brew pub uses it to disinfect their fermenters. (No, I no longer drink beer.)

19. ljbprrfmof

ljbprrfmof New Member

Have you industrious tank builders thought of running the water through a salt bath system to keep it safe instead of using pool/hot tub chemicals? Salt is an alternative method of keeping a pool clean. I have been to hotels that use those kinds of systems and they are quite nice. Plus you won't get bleached.

20. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

after your post I looked for salt systems. My present system cost $5.00 for a floating dispenser (either bromide or chlorine) and $39.00 for a Intex filter. the cheapest salt system I found was $700.00.

I would like a better filter than the intex. The filters are semi disposable and last about 3-5 weeks. It does filter out the junk but I don't have super crystal clear water. I willl be checking this winter for a better filter, but that is only for looks.