1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Stock tank - tips tricks

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Lyndra, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I'm thinking of setting up a stock tank outdoors to do CT. The biggest reason is so I can re-use the water from day-to-day instead of filling & draining the bathtub every day.

What are you all doing to keep the water clean, if anything?

How often do you have to empty the tank? Do you scrub it, clean it, etc. or just let it air dry?

How do you drain it? Sump pump, gravity drain, ...

What do you use to cover it?

What size tank are you using?

Do you wish you'd done something different with your set-up?

Any other tips?

2. Qodesh

Qodesh New Member

I'm picking up my 110 gal stock tank early next week.

I'll be keeping it indoors for now, so the air temp will be cooler (I'm in S. Florida)and thus hopefully not a bacteria breeding ground.

I plan to be draining it with a hose to the drain, or siphon, approx every 6 dips (every other week)

I plan on a wipe down with peroxide.

When I'm able to move it outside (I live in an apartment now), I plan on covering it with a breathable material with an elastic edging to keep down the dust and avoid closed space humidity.

I ultimately would like to get a chiller. I think 1/4 HP will do it for 110 gal tank. I'm still researching.

In S. Florida, I may need to have some heat reflective wrap on the outside to reflect the sun. I don't plan on sinking it in the ground because then I won't be able to reach the drain.

I'm also very interested in how people are keeping the tank bacteria free non-chemically, between dips in the summer heat .

3. Continuum Fitness

Continuum Fitness New Member

I have been working on this for a couple of weeks now.... See my post in the http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?524-How-was-your-CT-today

run down... I have a 100 gallon tub, I am 5'8 173 so if you are smaller than that a 100 or less gallon tub will work. I could have got a 70 gallon and fit but it would have been tight. I plumbed in a gravity drain (tub came with a plug) it gets most of the water out and then I just flip out the rest. I keep it under a 10x10 sun shade and cover it with a tarp when not in use. I hung a mosquito net around it for bug free CTing. I planned on cleaning it once a week but after researching a GREAT tip by shilohman, I am going to get a filter pump and plumb it in. ( approx 35 dollars on ebay) so I will not need to change it so often. being in FL it is a temp issue being outside.

Yesterday it took 40 pounds of ice to drop the temp from approx 78 degrees to approx 62. And it is not even summer here yet. :( I just need to insulate it some how and it still be water resistant. So far I have spent approx 100 dollars and will probably spend another 200 at most.

Still is a lot cheaper then a real cold tub made by coldtub.com I got a quote for a two person tub (smallest) used by universities $19,900. yes that is thousand.....:mad:

My advice so far is not to over buy the tub. The smaller the better. You will use less water and ice to lower the temp. Also remember your body weight will displace water and the ice ice will add water. I figure at my weight I am displacing 15 gallons and another 5 gallons for 40 pounds of ice. I estimate I only use 70 gallons of water.

good thread Lyndra

4. quelsen

quelsen New Member

If i were going to set up a cold station i would set it up like a 150 gallon saltwater tank including filtration. then i would rinse off in my shower before each use and cover the tank when it was not in use.

so

150gal Rubbermaid tank

1/4 chiller

salt water filtration system

change water once a month or so.

5. Continuum Fitness

The pre-rinse is a good suggestion. I didn't do it the first couple of times I went in, I started to the last couple of times and noticed a big difference in the water condition when done.

I looked into one of those chillers and the run 450 or more...plus I read they will only lower the temp down to 10 degrees lower than ambient temp. The guy at the fish store recommended a 1/2 hp chiller to get it colder but they were even more expensive.

6. quelsen

quelsen New Member

i got lucky this weekend and found a great deal on a commercial icemaker 400 pound load.

so i keep using the bath and trust me 35f water is a game changer

7. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I'll have to "try them on" at the feed store to find one that fits just right! Thanks for all the tips.

8. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I can't imagine that stock tanks won't grow green slime and attract mosquitoes. We used to swim in them as kids and they were super-nasty after a week or so. If that was my only option, I'd dump it after every use and let it thoroughly dry before refilling.

What about a kids wading pool? Some of those are fairly deep.

9. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

I'm thinking of buying one of those cheap vinyl pools that come with a filter from Walmart or Kmart. I know there are chemicals involved, but there are also whoknowswhat coming out in my tap water. Anyone set up one of these?

10. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

I bought a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank that has a drain in the side near the bottom. It is bigger than needed, but is so that DH and I can do it together. It has only been a few days, but I think that even if I have to dump it 2x a week it is less water than the tub. I'm not filling it to the brim. I put in like 50 gallons then it rained (and it's in a place that get roof run off- metal roof) and put about 60 more gallons in it. Water is still quite cold, 47 last night.

11. Continuum Fitness

on the advice of shilohman (thank you) I hooked up a pool pump filter on my 100 gallon tank today. Its like having a cold tub jacuzzi...LOL

I completely over bought what is really needed. I got a 1000 gph filter pump but for the price and its ability to circulate the water, what the hell...I will post pics when the rain stops here.

also stopped by the pool store and picked up some water conditioner, so I should be able to go a while without changing he water.

12. Birdy

Birdy New Member

We are still deciding what kind of tank to use. Currently I have a rubbermaid tub (not the fancy stock tank type) and it is difficult to use because the sides are too flimsy for me to get out easily. Also, dh can't fit in it very well. Currently, I have it in a shady area, and covered with an old window when not in use. That is pretty suboptimal since it stays warm. I am just starting with the cold soaks but will be covering it with something different soon. We are still in disagreement about the type of container, the necessity of a drain hole, and the chlorine issue. I used mine for only two days before emptying it out by hand to water the plants. Whatever system we end up with will probably be filled shallowly and then reusable water-bottle ice packs added, so the actual water in the tub will be low. Currently, I soak, and then dry off naturally while I am watering the plants.

13. Birdy

Birdy New Member

I had the good fortune of running into an industrial air-conditioning guy on my last train trip. Interesting discussions! He says it is always cheaper to heat water than cool it, and suggested that getting an ice machine would be much cheaper than some automatic hot-tub-type system. He also said I could go for a week before changing the water with a simple filter and no chlorine.

14. Birdy

Birdy New Member

Currently, I scoop the water out, pour it into a watering can, and then water the plants. Eventually I'll get a dedicated hose, and either siphon or empty through a plug, depending on the system we go with. I let it air-dry on its side.

15. Continuum Fitness

current pics....this is a work in progress.

[​IMG] for now I tarp it when not in use

[​IMG] I have a sun shade over top and a mosquito net that drapes around.

16. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

The mosquito netting is a nice touch!

17. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Did you drill into the tank to rund the filter hoses, or just drop the intake and return hoses into the tank?

18. Continuum Fitness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tank came with a pre drilled 1 1/4 in hole in the side near the bottom so I plumbed that to the intake. I wanted to get it up and running so I did not plumb the return yet and I may not. I took 1 1/4 in sink pipe, using a J bend and I just hook it over the edge. It works quite nicely. It also gives me the option to just pull it off and throw it in the grass and allow the tank to drain out for cleaning.

My last obstacle is insulating the tank. I would like to be able to keep the temp of the water at 70 degrees or lower when not in use so I do not need so much ice to cool it down.

Right now when the tank is 3/4 full it hovers around 73-74 degrees and it takes 40 pounds of ice to drop it into the low 60's (depending on ambient temp)

19. quelsen

quelsen New Member

http://www.armacell.com/www/armacell/ACwwwAttach.nsf/ansFiles/US_M&O%20_AP%20Sheets_Rolls_015-MO.pdf/$File/US_M&O%20_AP%20Sheets_Rolls_015-MO.pdf

if you can find some this is the **** for your application

20. I wonder if you could build some kind of "frame" around it, and use cheap blow in foam insulation.