1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Stephen’s Optimal Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Stephen W, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my journal. I appreciate any help.

My Quest? To see if I can reverse my dust mite allergy and nose breathe with ease.

I’m 35, male, I would say I look fit and healthy but something is off, with my main symptom I’ve delt with all my life is a blocked nose. Not really a runny nose, just inflamed (swollen turbinates) but for sure always some crusty mucus, and yellow in colour usually with clear.

I live on the Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia this past 5 years. Was born and grew up a couple hours west of here.

Always a mouth breather, However this last year I forced myself to breathe through my nose nearly 24/7 because of the research I had done on the dangers of chronic mouth breathing. This was one of the hardest things I’ve done in my life. The suffocating feeling is not fun, but I know it’s more of an intolerance to Co2 build up (mouth breathing all my life through out my breathing centre) than true suffocating, and my research on Buteyko breathing convinced me to stick it out, and the suffocating feeling would go away once I got used to tolerating more carbon dioxide in my body.
    And Buteyko was right, I slowly got used to it.

However, my nose is far from clear breathing. The turbinates constantly swell and are swollen with the slightest sensations, of smell, wind in the face, eating or drinking. But one of the worst times the insides of my nose swells is when I lay down. My body seems like it can’t constrict the blood flow fast enough as I lay down. For it to unblock, I need to keep my mouth shut, start suffocating, and the adrenaline all of a sudden shrinks the internals in my nose and I can nose breathe again, ok.

The reason I have this problem? I had a recent allergy skin prick test done and I have a very significant allergy to dust mites. I believe I’ve had this allergy all my life because I remember getting the test done as a boy and although I can’t recall much, my mum said she thinks it was dust mites, and I went on to have allergy shots for a year or so later (obviously with no luck).

So, having this allergy all my life, constant exposure, I see why now I’m having other troubles now. My adrenals must have taken a serious hit over these years right?

I don’t really understand it all, but I have problems also such as slight autonomic dysfunction. I think I have a slow sympathetic response namely because 1. My nose swells when I lay (sympathetic vasoconstriction doesn’t kick in) 2. I get a 30bpm heart rate jump upon standing from lying (another vasoconstriction sympathetic problem, like POTS?) 3. Morning stools very soft to runny. Needing to go to the toilet for a number 2 is normally what wakes me (again, this is probably a parasympathetic nervous system response due to lack of sympathetic response) 4. If I drink Alcohol, it will swell the turbinates in my nose (I would say because alcohol relaxes you and more parasympathetic response and my sympathetic response can’t come close to keeping up). 4. The turbinates in my nose do shrink and I can breathe a lot better if I get a hit of adrenaline for example from a cold shower, holding my breath, getting a fright or getting mad, lifting heavy weights, but this only lasts a few minutes ( This is all sympathetic nervous system related).
    So that’s why I feel I have an imbalance of my autonomic nervous system, and I would think this is due to my life long exposure to my dust mite allergy. And yes, I’ve tried to eliminate dust mite exposure as much as possible, but it’s impossible.
    If I can get rid of this allergy, I don’t think I would have any problems. And I could finally reach my ultimate health goal, and that is to easily nose breathe.

Here is some of my history...best I can remember.

Age 5: Asthma attack

Age 13: Allergy skin prick test shows positive for dust mites and I go on allergy shots for a year or so. No changes.

Age 16: Polyps surgically removed from my nose

Age: Early 20s: Professional level motocross racing. Lots of physical training. I grew out of my asthma trouble, no wheezing at all, no puffers anymore.
    However, started getting tonsillitis a lot. I’d recover, but training would always bring tonsillitis back on. It got so bad once, I was so sick, from what I remember it was a secondary infection from tonsillitis (big welt like bruises on my shins). TONSILS REMOVED at 22 years old.

Age Up to 30: Kept doing a lot of motocross racing and training, very physical. I was not getting sick as much like I used to. By the way I was still mouth breathing all along (it was normal for me).
    Had a lot of injuries and broken bones at this time. Most major one was a crushed heel and broken ankle (till this day still full of metal and screws) and crushed vertebrae in my back. 3 weeks laying in hospital deconditioned me very bad. To the point of passing out trying to stand. Heart rate was hitting 200 when standing. Docs thought I may have a clot in my lung, but after the scans, all was clear. Just deconditioned bad in 3 weeks! Fit as a fiddle to nothing in 3 weeks.

Ok so here I am now 35 years old, annoying nose that I can barely breathe through. I recently had another skin pick test done as I said earlier to show significant dust mite allergy.

I found Jack Kruse through Wim Hofs Facebook group. I wanted to try the Wim Hof method to try and reverse my dust mite allergy. Jack’s views (or nature’s view) makes more sense to follow than Wims explanations, so here I am.

I’ve been trying to cold adapt for a few months Wim Hofs way, but I’m getting no progress really. At this stage I am doing just cold baths at 18°C for 20min a day, but I still shiver like hell. Not good with the cold. I was doing 5°C for shorter time, but still wasn’t adapting.

I’ve never eaten seafood my whole life until the last 2 weeks after finding Jack’s work. I think this seafood thing has been my missing link. Hopefully this will allow me to cold adapt when my cells become stronger? If they are not already screwed beyond repair?

The big question I’m really wanting answered is....
    Will it be possible to reverse my dust mite allergy?

If know one knows, I’m going to find out...

I’m following Jack’s protocol, let’s hope something happens. I will keep you all posted.

EDIT: Mother has Hashimotos

Maternal haplotype H1b
    (Other info in comments)

Thanks
    Stephen

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

Where do you live?

3. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Australia, Queensland, Sunshine Coast.
    I used to live a couple hours inland from the coast, but the last 5 years I’ve been right on the beach. The coast didn’t change my sinus troubles.
    Thanks

4. drezy

drezy Gold

I had crap sinuses for the first 20 years of my life. Not much oxygen went through my nose.

My move from 41ºN to 30ºN made a huge difference. Keto made a difference. Cold tub and morning sun crushed it.

Good luck sir.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Anne V, Cheryl. and Stephen W like this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Have you tried to rinse your nose by
    taking water thru the nose and spit it out?

Cheryl. likes this.
  6. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Yes, I have tried snorting up a salty solution for a couple weeks. It just sort of irritated my sinus. It’s not getting to the root cause of the problem doing sinus rinse that’s why I don’t really do it.
    Unless you think sinus rinses will desensitise me eventually from my allergy? Maybe?

7. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

I feel the cold tub will work also once I get everything working food wise too.
    Thanks

8. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Started the face dunking today. I feel I’ve jumped the gun the last couple months trying to cold adapt in full body immersion 5-10°c baths straight up. Just hasn’t been working.
    I’ll book in for some blood tests and see how my thyroid is performing too. Hopefully start making some cold adapting progress!

9. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Face dunks have already become warm in 50-55°f water. Breath hold started at 35-37 seconds max, now 50-60 seconds. Hopefully over the next week my breath holds get longer...if it makes a difference. Lots of wild seafood and AM sun been happening! And good water recently. Excited to see allergy improvement HOPEFULLY!

PalmBeach1 likes this.
  10. PalmBeach1

PalmBeach1 Silver

I had same mouth breathing and nose throat issues for years . I had read dr richard Schulze talk about chopping garlic and onion and eating a lot of it. It works amazingly. I use his nose and throat herb garlic liquid stuff . Just chopping garlic and onion and eating it with cayenne pepper on it worked great.

Cheryl. and Stephen W like this.
  11. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Yeah thanks! I did a couple times a while back used a diluted garlic solution (extracted garlic juice in water) up in my nose to kill any bacteria if there was any. But no changes.
    I believe my dust mite allergy has given me vasomotor rhinitis also, super sensitive nerves or something. Hoping to see a change.

12. drezy

drezy Gold

I've been diagnosed with that in childhood (11-18ish).

13. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Hey Drezy, and when you lay down, does/did your nose block up (insides swell up) from the rush of blood flow to your nose? Mine does. Very very annoying :/
    The blood vessels are too slow to constrict or something. That’s why I thought it may be related to autonomic nervous system issue. Or it’s just inflamed from constant allergen exposure (can only do so much to hide from dust mites!)

14. Are dust mites a bigger health problem for moto cross riders in general?

15. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Hi Marko, no I wouldn’t think so. These little critters are inside in the materials of your house, cars, shopping centres etc.
    I’ve done all the protocols of dust mite avoidance and nothing changed.
    Also, I had this allergy issue before my motocross racing.
    I really need to live in the woods for a few weeks with zero material/cloth things and see how I go!

16. Good luck. I was wondering if it came from playing in the dirt, but sounds like it comes from bei g inside. I like your solution of avoiding man made crap!

Stephen W likes this.
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

My nose was perma-blocked from 10-18 yo . Laying down or standing up nothing mattered. Vasomotor rhinitis, hypoallergenic everything, mattress plastic wrap, I even had this heated inhaler (kinda like a blow dryer humped a normal inhaler and this thing was it's baby).

I'm so glad it is not a part of my life at all anymore and I don't need any of that stuff. It's really liberating.

Stephen W likes this.
  18. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

It gives me hope! Actually all my life I’ve never worried about laying down and my nose swelling shut because I always mouth breathed, so it didn’t matter! It’s just this last year of trying to nose breathe, I notice everything!

drezy likes this.
  19. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

My quest to cold adapt continues. I just finished 2 weeks of face dunks, increased my breath hold time from 35 seconds to 70-80 seconds. Good stuff.
    Today completed 60min straight up with 20 pounds of ice on torso wearing compression shirt. All went well, nice red skin.
    I even done 5 min bare skin at the end. Skin colour was still good, a little more painful, but otherwise good and I will move on to reaching 60 min no compression shirt over the coming weeks, monitoring skin colour

20. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

First day using ice just on bare belly skin. Reached 30min with nice red skin. Could have went longer but something came up.
    Super happy with how well my skin is responding!..must be all the hardcore seafood eating I’ve been doing the past month! :D
    A4E0C7EC-876A-4C76-B732-AACBE58B0C61.jpeg