1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Squatting

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by nonchalant, Apr 14, 2013.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Has anyone else been doing this regularly? I've been squatting daily since the Power Squat post, and it has been doing wonders for my lower spine and also for my knees and feet. I've gotten more limber with time. I also twist left and right while squatting, pushing on the opposite knee, to enhance the stretch of the various muscles and ligaments.

Using a stool while on the potty is fine, but I have found that it is much better (for my back) to do a real squat. So I squat while gardening, cleaning, etc.

http://www.jackkruse.com/brain-gut-17-the-power-squat/

2. endless

endless New Member

I've always been a squatter....I find it a much more comfortable to squat than stand or sit for long periods.

3. Martin

Martin Gold

I find it easy to squat and always have. Must be those lifetimes spent in the rice patty's. DW even brought up the squatty potty thing. Will wonders never cease?!

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think it might be even more important for women, due to our hip architecture.

5. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Are you guys talking about just squatting for the bathroom or you are squatting throughout the day randomly... ? And when you say squatting are you talking butt it heels more like a crouch.....

6. Martin

Martin Gold

Both, for me. My heels go right against my hiney with no effort. Some of my friends can't take it for more than a few minutes where I can stay squatted for much longer.

7. Martin

Martin Gold

Yes, that fabulous architecture. Gotta admire that beautiful architecture.

8. endless

endless New Member

I can squat right down with my bum resting on my heels as well, I have to have my legs wide enough to accomodate my midsection in the front, though:rolleyes:

9. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Interesting article on "Asian Squatting"
    How often and how long do you do this type of squatting?
    Does Dr. Jack Squat more than just for the potty?

Meghan

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I keep my heels on the floor. That is what makes my back/knees/ankles happy. The other squat, balanced on the toes doesn't do a thing for me.

Josh (Paleo Osteo) likes this.
  11. Jude

Jude Gold

Watched the natives in Papua New Guinea squat non stop( this is 40yrs ago!)-no chairs ........chat sessions always meant squatting for the blokes..
    They seemed to use the wider leg squat but seem to remember that the ladies did a narrower squat and always with heels down. Learned the art there and have practised the art ever since.

12. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

How often and how long?

13. Jude

Jude Gold

Every am I try to do 10 full squats in a row! Then I see how long I can last in a squat...

14. baudoman

baudoman New Member

Interesting experience you have there, Jude. Have you read 'The Continuum Concept'?

It's basically about a woman who did something similar and wrote about the natural way of bringing children up.

Do you think there's any hope of us 'civilized' folk ever learning anything from them? I know that there have been at least some improvements in the last 50 years (importance of breastfeeding, attachment parenting, etc) but for sure we're missing the point about the squatting for #2 thing.

15. Jude

Jude Gold

I think I read that or something like it in the 70's......I feel like I know about it though....was a bit of a talking point for us witnessing "the continuum concept" in action, so to speak, the PNG way of demand feeding/constant mother baby attachment vs the European method of designed feeding, restricted mum bub contact.
    The mums developed stong neck muscles pretty quickly because they carried their bubs on their backs in a crocheted billum bag with the strap held firmly on mum's head....:D Never had a case of engorged breasts, colicky bubs, or screaming babies.

It certainly was an eye opener for me......
    Demand feeding hit in the 70's here....watched it work beautifully up there....the lifestyle really complimented it....Mimiced lots of what I saw up there.....wasn't always successful.......tried to enthuse mums here into squatting for birthing ......bit of a lost cause!

16. baudoman

baudoman New Member

Hey, Jude.. (pardon the reference ;))

Regarding the birthing thing, I'm male and I feel the squatting for birthing thing looks the most natural, but you're right - there's no way anyone in civilized areas would consider it. I know with the advent of birthing centers they are making progress but the majority of women/people do not even consider the benefits of squatting to their pregnancy.. probably because it is not stressed enough by their medical advisors.

17. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I often just squat on the toilet.... but I broke down and got a squatty potty.... Now I have to wait to use it. lol

18. baudoman

baudoman New Member

Hey Danco..

Yeah same here.. but I read something online about doing it right on the toilet being dangerous if it slips off the pipe going down and releases methane gas.. that or just cracking under the weight.

The squatty potty is a good idea, they have a good video on the site that helps explain it all to regular people. I still think more needs to be done to spread the word about this, but not sure how to do it. It's not exactly a topic you can talk freely about at social gatherings or anywhere for that matter. But I really feel many people are affected by constipation and don't know that if they tried squatting they could perhaps find huge relief.

Danco, what r your thoughts on this - do you spread the word about squatting to family and friends ?

19. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I don't spread the word.... I do tell people what I do if the conversation comes up or if others ask. People that at close to me kinda know that I do things a little different so it may come up and I am willing to discuss. But I don't go out of my way to explain.

20. baudoman

baudoman New Member

Well by spread the word I mean trying to help those that have complained to u of being constipated or other area related ailments. I just find it such a hush hush subject that people might think ur crazy if u tell them to try squatting, meanwhile you're only trying to help.