1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Spirituality, Ultra-style

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Martin, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Martin

Martin Gold

lilly antic likes this.
  2. Inger

Inger Silver

cant see anything Martin?
    but maybe that was what you tried to say... emptiness, to be able to empty ourself? ;)

3. super funny!!! I#m practising to become ultra-spiritual, too....:D

Martin likes this.
  4. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

I often get there after about 30 minutes of meditation, my mind becomes so silent.. it's very enjoyable actually.

5. I agree, but maybe if we start to wear such a nice hairband with flower it might even improve our brain "antenna".....lol

6. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

At bottom the video is social/political satire. What it's mostly saying is: "Haven't we all met annoying middle-class Democrats like this?" Don't know the Norwegian equivalent to that!

For some reason when inserted as "media" videos seem not to show for some people. And if you just paste in a link, the board software currently imbeds the media anyway. Only way around it I can think of is to enter the link as "code" when it will be shown as text.

7. Pretty much our whole country is like that... :p

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  8. Inger

Inger Silver

OMG......... :D

Optimalbound is right........ Norwegians are very much like that.....lol
    almost too much..lol
    but it is refreshing for sure!

9. Martin

Martin Gold

This guy has a few more funny videos satirizing different aspects of aquatic ape ancestral silliness.

10. Martin

Martin Gold

Inger, I really wish I was that clever. But I must say, your "Oyster Song" still has the top spot on the forum.

11. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

LOL

I don't think there's a political purpose there: it's just played for laughs. And it's more social than political. But it's part of the joke that you know how he would vote, isn't it? And there's a kind of edge when he asks for money near the end, because the thought "Who's paying, and what's the justice in that?" has a familiar resonance with Americans who self-identify as "conservative".

I'd never have thought Norwegians would be quite like that. If I think of Norway I always think of explorers and Heroes of Telemark - masculine, outdoor types.

Perhaps times have changed ...

12. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

It seems Norwegians are still capable of resistance:

http://environews.tv/world-news/mon...are-safe-says-norway-in-new-government-study/

13. Inger

Inger Silver

I mean the Norwegians are a bit satiric ;)
    and yeah they do stuff a little bit their own way too......
    they still are a bit wild a free :) at least some of them :)

14. Inger

Inger Silver

lol Martin.... still makes me ashamed...haha... I need to make a better oyster song for you ;)

Martin likes this.
  15. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Best not to "politicise" things too much, but I one guess could point out that the figure of fun in the video is a "liberal". In Scandinavia people of "progressive" temperament perhaps tend more towards to something rather more like "social democracy" than liberalism.

I'm not judging here - more thinking aloud. I guess all these attitudes - liberal, conservative, social-democratic - probably have their strengths and weaknesses.

The most salient characteristic that the character in the video is given - I recall seeing him in a "how to go gluten-free" spoof - is narcissism.

But one could go one level deeper and take apart the assumptions that the sketch writer himself has and unwittingly reveals. Here's an example. There's the dig at people of a certain sort over-using the term "intuition". But I don't think the writer understands what's meant (and has been meant) by the term. He's confusing it with premonition - or, perhaps better, precognition. And I don't think he's suggesting the character is confused as to the meaning: I think he himself is.

Very interesting definitions given here:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/intuition

Keep scrolling down and notice how the meaning has changed from the Middle English usage to current usage. Neither has anything to do with precognition, but there's a massive difference between:

And:

"Instinct" - there's another word that's changed it's meaning - currently tends to be applied to animals. It's something that's thought of as sub-rational.

But I think "spiritual insight" implies something totally rational but above, not below, a process of reasoning. It's simply seeing. Think of a mathematical proof. There you have a chain of reasoning, but it always goes back to something that is axiomatic - that you simply see.

Maybe there is such a thing as intuition, and maybe we need it, and maybe it's not easy at all to develop. And doubtless the character in the video would not have much of it - all he has is the ghost of an idea that it is important (or perhaps "impressive" would be a better word for him). But I think the sketch writer assumes that there is no such thing. Really? Are we sure about that?

Of course, the video is about getting laughs out of us: it's not meant seriously. But perhaps it's also good to remember not to take it too seriously.

16. Nice comments, Gagnrad.

I think I get it, for the most part.
    This sort of thing is a bit of a minefield to discuss across the Atlantic. Our political and socio-economic landscapes are not quite the same, trends are rarely in sync, and the terminology might seem similar, yet have somewhat different connotations and nuances.

Hah, nice! There's probably a bit of both, at least for now.
    Your mention of explorers reminded me that I'm a fairly close relative of one of the better-known ones. I should probably do a bit of research and find out if I have the same mitochondrial DNA..

They probably have. But it could have been worse. We could've been Sweden. :D:D:D