1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Spinal surgery, fat child, reactive hypoglycaemia, high morning cortisol, secondary hypothyroidism.

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Tombleweed, May 18, 2014.

1. Tombleweed

Tombleweed New Member

I began my paleo diet and bio hacking adventure about 18 months ago, but feel I have hit a brick wall and need some help to better understand my labs and situation. I’m hoping that someone (maybe even Jack if you have a moment or see this?) might be able give me some deeper insights on reactive hypoglycaemia, elevated morning cortisol, high cholesterol and what I feel is probably secondary hypothyroidism (low T3 to T4 ratio and slightly elevated TSH).

I am from England, 24 years old, lean with relatively good muscle tone, 6ft and 75kg. I am pretty physically “fit” despite health issues. I was quite severely overweight for a few years as a teenager, but lost the weight in my late teens. I also had neck surgery when I was 11 years old due to an aneurysmal bone cyst and I had to have my C6 vertebrae completely removed. I now have a junkyard of titanium in there and was exposed to some serious EMF with multiple scans, MRI’s and Xrays throughout childhood. I have also snapped my ACl and torn cartilage in both knees from playing sports. However, I feel that these accidents were not bad enough to have merited such damage if I had been healthier. My tally of general anaesthetics and operations is now up to 10. Can’t be good.

Since starting paleo and dabbling with a ketogenic diet many of the health issues that I have been dealing with for years have actually worsened considerably. I feel my underlying metabolic/hormonal/gut problem has been brought to light by low-carb living rather than caused by this way of eating. I see this as a good thing and this is why I have persevered in the hope that this new information and lifestyle would allow me to get to the bottom of it once and for all.

I have bad acne on my face and chest, dark shadows under my eyes, dizziness upon rising or after eating sugar, frequent headaches, reactive hypoglycaemia, digestive issues, food intolerances, constipation, poor concentration and mental acuity, brain fog, excessive sweating, anxiety despite relaxed attitude and general fatigue. However, I am still able to find the energy to exercise (weightlifting, climbing, jogging and biking) and feel much better when I do. Nonetheless, deep down I can sense that excessive exercising and high-carb living was only masking a deeper hormonal imbalance and giving me some temporary adrenaline and endorphins to run off.

When I try to eat a ketogenic diet my energy levels drop severely, my blood sugar gets very low and I get dizzy. A post-prandial reading of 54 mg/dl would be common. I also tend to feel very depressed and find it hard to function efficiently on a day-to-day basis. I get very skinny, can see my ribs, feel like I am loosing muscle and becoming skinny fat. My hunger also completely disappears, my digestion seems to slow and food feels heavy in my stomach. However, my appetite/manic cravings for carbs are constant. Cold showers and baths seem to help energy levels, alertness and feeling of wellbeing, but only temporarily. Perhaps full on CT might be beneficial?

My naturopathic doctor tells me that I do have a leaky gut and also that my liver is not in good shape, especially phase II function and bile production. I suspect I am not digesting fats well and consequently struggling to use them as fuel.

I have been referred to an endocrinologist who performed an overnight dexamethasone suppression test. However, my cortisol levels apparently remained at such a high level that he questioned whether I had actually taken the drug (I don’t have specific figures yet). He wants to perform further tests to find out why. I feel like he doesn't have a clue and won't be able to help me. I'm pretty sure I don't have Cushing's Syndrome and that the high cortisol levels are more likely linked to blood sugar imbalances.

I also had an oral glucose tolerance test in which three hours after drinking 75g of liquid glucose my blood sugar level dropped to 50 mg/dl and I had all the symptoms of reactive hypoglycaemia. However, my glucose level never went above 110 mg/dl at any point, which according to my endocrinologist suggests that I am highly insulin sensitive despite obvious blood sugar issues.

I have been hugely inspired by Dr. Jack Kruse’s incredible work and all the information he has made available. It has shown me what tests I needed to get privately to finally persuade the unsympathetic doctors that something is actually abnormal and that I am not too young to have any issues

Since most of the docs aren’t of much use here in the UK I was hoping for some help to better understand my labs, what could be the real root cause of my issues, whether I am actually leptin resistant or not, and if my neck surgery and knee injuries could tie into my current problems? Any tips, info or advice on how to move forward from here would be massively welcomed.

Below are the labs I have managed to get either privately through Genova Diagnostics or through my doctor:

Adrenal Stress Profile

Cortisol levels (nmol/L)

8am: 33.3 (12-22) HIGH

12 noon: 10.7 (5 - 9) HIGH

4pm: 5.5 (3 - 7)

12 midnight: 2.4 (1 – 3

DHEA Levels:

12 noon: 0.17 nmol/L LOW

4pm: 0.19 nmol/L LOW

DHEA Mean: 0.18 nmol/L (0.40-1.47) LOW

DHEA Cortisol Ratio: 0.35 nmol/L (2.0-6.0) LOW

Adrenal Stress stage = resistance stage 2 maladaptation

Thyroid + reverse T3 (Genova Diagnostics)

Total Thyroxine (T4) 106 nmol/L (58-154)

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) 3.87 mIU/L (0.4 – 4) Borderline High

Free Thyroxine (FT4) 16.5 pmol/L (10-22)

Free T3 (FT3) 3.33 pmol/L (2.8-6.5) Borderline Low

FT4:FT3 ratio 5 (2-4.5) HIGH

Reverse T3 0.37pmol/mL (0.14 - 0.54) Normal

(Reverse T3 23.9 ng/dL (9.0 – 35.0) Normal)

Does this T3 result rule me out from being leptin resistant in spite of hormonal and blood sugar issues?

More recent standard Thyroid Function Test

Serum TSH 2.61 mU/L (0.3 – 5.00)

Serum Free T4 16.4 pmol/L (11.0 – 23.0)

Vitamin D – I had previously been taking 5000 IU of D3 per day as I was presuming low-levels based on time of year and ASI results. Could the high cortisol be preventing absorption on a cellular level? I stopped taking supplements after first test.

31st Dec 13 Total Hydroxyvitamin D level 177 nmol/L (50 – 100) HIGH

1st March 14 Total Hydroxyvitamin D level 111 nmol/L (50 – 100) HIGH

Serum Lipids

Serum Cholesterol 7.9 mmol/L (305 mg/dl) (<4) HIGH

Serum Triglycerides 0.5 mmol/L (44 mg/dl) (0 - 1.7)

Serum HDL level 3.1 mmol/L (120mg/dl) (>1)

Serum LDL level 4.6 mmol/L (178mg/dl) (0 -3) HIGH

Total cholesterol HDL ratio 3 (0 -5)

C- reactive protein (CRP) 0.9mg/L (0 – 5.0)

Erythrocite sedimentation rate (ESR) 4mm/h (0-20)

Secretory IGA 115.9ug/mL (118-641) LOW

B12/Folate

Serum vitamin B12 1248ng/L (172- 1162) HIGH

Serum Folate 8.7ug/L (4.6-18.7)

HbA1c level 33mmol/mol (<53)

Liver function test - all results well within normal range

Full blood count – all results now in the normal range. However, a few months ago my neutrophil count was very marginally low and my Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV) was also marginally high. Anyone know if this can be of significance?

On an Elemental Hair Analysis my mercury was slightly high (2.4ug/g – (<1.32)) while my phosphorus levels were also high (212ug/g – (104-206)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

seanb4 likes this.
  2. Rylee

Rylee New Member

Sorry you're hurting. I think if you hear the sounds of hoofs you shouldn't be looking for a zebra. Look the horse in the eye - this isn't working for you. Dr. K. has always said you should let your labs guide you. If you're not doing better on this type of diet, try something else.

3. Jude

Jude Gold

Hi Tombleweed, don't leave! there so many here who can help you negotiate Jacks protocols...even JK himself!..and your labs don't seem soooooooooo bad.......you need tweaking and that is what this site is all about.

The basic JK mantra protem is ....electron catching via ingesting as much DHA as possible = oysters= epi-paleo eating. As well as....fluoride free water , grounding and CT. Ensure you are watching yr circadian cycles with blue blockers at night and avoiding emf's. Have you read JK's book? or the Leptin series?

That's the basis for recovery.....the tweaking then starts according to yr own n=1

Your D level is great. I keep mine round 120! Lipids not bad either ...they'll come round as you adopt protocols.........trigs good....was that a Cardiac CRP?
    Lots more experienced folk here can chime in......guess they'll tell you that your exercise could be +raising that cortisol;)
    Keep on reading...don't forget to check all JK's initial blogs ..they have all the goodies to start!

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Tom - and welcome!
    I am not good at labs but some one else will be along to give you a hand ...hang in there!

Have you had a 23&me test done? Did you do the "90 day optimal reset" with us?

Dr. Tim Jackson may be a good place to start ..... Have a look at his website and you can email him.

there is a guest blog by Dr. Jackson.

Could you please put up a pic? Dr. K. has new rule ....no pic - no Jack. It is really nice for all of us to see who we are taking to.

Could you start a journal in the journal section and maybe transfer all this great info to it? If you need help - please just ask!

Have you listened to the last podcast that Dr. K. just did? with Cyndi O'Meara ....please have a listen..

If you can swing it ...... become a "gold" member ..... You will have access to all the webinars and the Live Q&A that follows ..... 24/7
    You can ask Jack pretty much anything in the Q&A

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Welcome, Tombleweed! Caroline is right, if you post a pic of yourself, Dr. K may comment.
    Also, I agree with Jude, seafood, especially shellfish would be the place to start. You need electrons, for all your ailments, and oysters & other seafood is the place to start. Energy is what you need.

Your cortisol is high now, but I suspect that it will start to decline, and then become too low, as you get entrenched into an adrenal fatigue pattern. Your exercise might make you feel good, but what you are doing is redirecting limited resources to your muscles, at the expense of organs and other systems.

caroline likes this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

DHEA low.......means too many protons in the CSF........IL-6 is high. Means lots of calcium release for some reason.

I bet your zip code is not so hot. You do need a pic for me to go further.........

Tombleweed likes this.
  7. Tombleweed

Tombleweed New Member

Right, thanks for all the info and a nice welcome! Photo is up...

I'm planning to try and get some more seafood in me and shift more towards epi-paleo diet rather than your bog standard paleo nibbles.

Rylee - Yes, at times I have thought "what am I doing" to myself, however, to say everything has gotten worse in not true. My symptoms have changed and although the issue has become more unavoidable some problems have disappeared such as bad insomnia, digestion actually feels more settled, and sluggish bowls are waking up after a long-term hibernation.

In the past I feel I have been using carbs as a crutch to keep me going, especially during the winters, and have been completely in the dark as to why I could never feel 100% and had so many problems despite a theoretically "healthy" diet and lifestyle, early nights, transcendental meditation etc. I feel that I probably had much higher cortisol when I was eating more carbs and exercising heavily, especially at night, and that it would have only been a matter of time before I burned out (as nonchalant rightly pointed out). My gut tells me that an answer lies somewhere within the paleo spectrum and I have gained so much insight into what is happening that I don't think there is any turning back for me. I have seen what wonders Jack's knowledge has done for my father's arthritis (Phil Escott) who recently posted his success story on this forum. I just need some guidance to find my n=1, as I don't seem to fit into any obvious boxes. Parasites from extensive travelling in Asia is another thing that has been suggested...I don't know if my labs could be indicative of this?

Jude - I have been trying to incorporate as much of these things as possible, but I'm sure I could do better. I have just recently started exposing myself to the cold and am feeling better for it. I am eating a BAB, 2-3 meals per day, no snacking, leaving at least 5-6 hours between meals and am feeling pretty good. But I am not ketogenic, probably eating around 100-150 grams of carbs per day with a little bit of sweet potato, fruit, beetroot and carrot added to the BAB. Since adding a few more carbs I feel hugely much more energetic, almost normal at times, and I actually have an appetite! I don't have carbs at all meals and keep them to earlier in the day.

Caroline - Thanks for the suggestions I haven't done any of the group protocols, but have dipped pretty deeply into Jack's blog and have also been listening to a lot of his podcasts recently. I will check out the one you mentioned. I have been considering a 23&me test actually as I can see very similar thyroid, gut, metabolic type issues running through my mothers side of the family. I will look into it.

Nonchalant - As for my cortisol levels I think you are bang on. What made me switch and delve into this stuff was to avoid burning out and really getting myself feeling healthy, even on rest days, or in the winter. However, my instinct tells me that my high morning cortisol levels are linked to my blood sugar dysregulation and nighttime hypoglycaemia. I often wake up with splitting headaches and only feel right once I have eaten. What I need help with is why this might be happening and how to solve it. I'm hoping that's where Jack's wizardry might conjure up some magic for me. My current exercise regime is not excessive, HIIT once a week, climbing once a week, and maybe two 20-30 min jogs per week with some sprints at the end. Not pushing myself hard and when I had the ASI done I was completely sedentary as it was about 1 month after an ACL reconstruction.

* Jack! - Thank you so much for replying..... I really appreciate it. Unsurprisingly, your first comments seem very insightful. For some reason I have recently been having serious cravings for raw milk, but because I don't do dairy well, I just bought some calcium, magnesium and zinc tabs to take alongside some K2. Might be completely irrelevant, and maybe even totally the wrong thing to do, but seemed like a nice coincidence haha!

As for my environment you are bang on! I don't know what it is, but whenever I come back to my hometown I start to feel awful. The only times I ever feel 100% well tend to be when I am outside all day, traveling and in the sun, or when I have been living in the south of Spain and France. When it comes to English winters I seem to stop functioning regardless of whether I am low-carb or not, go white as a sheet with terrible skin, feel depressed, and have no energy. From my photo you might be able to see that when I'm living in sunny France I feel and look quite a bit better, even though I was eating grains haha....

I think you are the only doctor out there who seems to be putting the whole picture together, that the disconnects from our environment in all aspects of life are intrinsic to good health and that diet is only a part of it. I applaud what you are doing and love seeing how your discoveries and connections tie so beautifully into ancient traditional knowledge such as the Vedas and Ayurveda from India. However, we are dealing with a different technological environment these days, which I feel is where where your incredible understanding and insights into modern science come into their own! Thank you for what you have taught me so far and how you have helped my Dad. :)

Josh (Paleo Osteo) likes this.
  8. Tombleweed

Tombleweed New Member

p.s. Jude - I'm not sure about the CRP...It is the only one that was available to me free on the national health service and is a general marker for inflammation levels. It's always confused me if there is actually a difference between CRP and the HS-CRP that Jack always mentioned. Google seems to tell me they are the same thing, but I may be wrong. I just sneakily ticked the box on my blood form as I thought a bit of extra info couldn't hurt ;)

9. Tombleweed

Tombleweed New Member

If calcium leaching is an issue I thought these extra labs might be useful. Everything is apparently normal, but normal is a word I have begun to mistrust when used by a normal doctor hehe...

Bone Profile:

Serum calcium 2.37 mmol/L (2.20 - 2.60)

Corrected serum
    Calcium level 2.40 mmol/L (2.20 - 2.60)

serum inorganic
    phosphate 1.12 mmol/L (0.80 - 1.50)

Serum alkaline
    phosphatase 85 U/L (40 - 120)

Serum total
    protein 67 g/L (55-80)

Serum albumin 39 g/L (35 - 50)

Serum globulin 28 g/L

Urea and Electrolytes

Serum sodium 137 mmol/L (133 - 146)

Serum potassium 4.1 mmol/L (3.5 - 5.2)

Serum urea level 3.5 mmol/L (2.3 - 7.5)

Serum creatinine 96 umol/L (o -135)

Is there any way to calculate redox potential from these? There doesn't seem to be a BUN on the standard uk test...

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Be careful with the calcium tabs, Tom. Dr K does not usually recommend them in today's environment, where EMF is forcing calcium out of its normal places and into parts of the cell (and blood) that cannot handle it for long. Calcium efflux/release.

11. Tombleweed

Tombleweed New Member

Hi, thanks for the heads up, yes I was aware that calcium can be dodgy when taken alone in high doses, but i was just testing a little bit combined with K2, which, as far as I understand, tells the calcium where to go and stops it being naughty.

Phil Escott likes this.
  12. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

I just wanted to pop in and say how amazed I've been these past few months at Tom's knowledge! As his dad, I've got to say how proud I am of him for unravelling so many of the mysteries of his physiology so well on his own. He's been really inspiring to me and has found out a great deal of info that has been so useful in my biohacking as well as his – deciphering the science on Jack's site and put it into dummy language for his old dad! I'm very grateful to him that we are still best friends, despite this tangle he's in probably being largely down to us bringing him up on a grain and pulse based veggie diet, and then later, my own efforts to administer close to the maximum dose of pizza and sweets. No wonder something gave out. Oh well, I've learned my lesson, and Tom's five-year-old sister is getting far better treatment from me! As Jack says, "When you know better, you do better…" Thanks so much to everyone for such a great community where he can get such good advice. I am sure you'll find success, me boy! :)

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Welcome, Tom's Dad!! Yes, we've all been there as parents. Sounds like you were trying your best to give him healthy food. Well, before the pizza thing... ;-)

Phil Escott likes this.
  14. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Hi nonchalant. We met before on my success story thread… I just got rid of the wifebeater vest photo. :) Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and give Tom my vote of confidence. I'll slip off silently and watch the advice unfold now…

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh, yeah, you're the hippy dude!

Phil Escott likes this.
  16. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

What a great story from Father and son .... I an assure you that even Dr. K. can relate to this.... as we all can.

It is so amazing to read these stories of folks working on their optimal journey .....

Dr. K. is shining his flashlight for us ....but we need to do the work.

But what outstanding rewards ....

Phil Escott likes this.
  18. Tombleweed

Tombleweed New Member

Right, sorry about waffling on with long replies...More to the point, does anyone have any ideas as to what protocols should be considered for low DHEA, high IL-6, high AM cortisol, reactive hypoglycaemia and thyroid symptoms? Is ketosis wise even though it worsens my symptoms and feels like a huge stress to the system?

I'm focusing on staying in tune with light cycles, getting to bed early, waking early, eating a BAB soon after rising with a moderate amount of carbs added (not trying to lose weight), cutting EMF exposure to a minimum, and doing CT. Does this sound like a sensible approach?

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Tom, I'd add seafood and sunlight.

20. Tombleweed

Tombleweed New Member

Yep, gonna do that for sure, I already eat a lot of fish, but am going to try and source some oysters. Its summer here so I am getting lots of sun. I'm pretty tanned atm.

My main question that I was hoping to get answered is whether my labs suggest that I should keep pushing towards eating a ketogenic diet, even though it makes me feel pretty rough with my reactive hypoglycaemia and seems to completely shut down my digestion/hunger? And also whether I am actually leptin resistant and need to follow the Leptin Reset Rx regardless of my normal reverse T3 and normal weight....?

This is where I am getting confused.... I'm not fully understanding what my labs are telling me to do on a practical level...