1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

spectroscope to map out the IR-A and UV-A transition

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by shiran, Jul 23, 2017.

1. drezy

drezy Gold

I've got a NIST calibrated UVA meter that went from 0.0 to 0.1 mw/cm2 between 7:20 & 7:30.

time solar altitude azimuth
    07:20 4.3 75.2
    *Here
    07:30 6.3 76.4

EDIT:
    Yes, it was that time when the sun goes from reddish to yellowish.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    seanb4 and Sue-UK like this.
  2. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

ScottishEmma and seanb4 like this.
  3. drezy

drezy Gold

You know you're a Kruse geek when...

Because people you care about asked a really good question, you're sitting outside at 6AM with a Kiniki on, a big glass of ice water, and a UVA irradiance meter with feet on the plants you know have deeper taproots that you just shared a little of your water with.
    Phosphene and seanb4 like this.
  4. shiran

shiran Curious

That's absolutely kruse geek .
    Same here waiting for it every morning ...
    This morning was one of the best ones..
    clear sky no clouds...
    Started raising up the mountain in a beautiful red Hypnotic color
    I literally didn't take my eyes off the sun
    It was an amazing transformation
    And i saw all the stages of the changing colors
    I have to say : l love the sun !!!
    Phosphene, seanb4 and drezy like this.
  5. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

According to this graph, UVA appears around about 5 degrees. This makes me think I am missing The VIS + IR bit of the sun as due to terrain, I don't see sun until 35 minutes after rising. I estimate that the sun raises at around 7 degrees an hour....[​IMG]
    Penny and WalterNL like this.
  6. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

If its light there's photons, and you don't need a lot for signalling (think how few blue ones can shut off melatonin at night ....). As the sky colour changes the ratio and dominance of different colours changes, and the brain also registers the increasing crescendo. Many species live on terrain that blocks the direct rays or the camera image of the rising sun. I see it that the photons are not the sun, but they are of the sun, information carriers, and that I am still bathing in the light, and harvesting, even if I can't see the source. :)

PS thanks for the pic ... It seems to suggest (from the pic I posted earlier) that when yellow becomes the dominant visible frequency in the morning, that UVA is kicking in. :)
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 2:08 AM
    seanb4 likes this.
  7. shiran

shiran Curious

Jack mentions the importance of the transition in the morning .
    If we are anyway out there every morning, I'm curious why is it so important for you guys to know exactly when the transition is happening ?
    People who have limited time in the morning for example..
    I would like to be more specific in my recommendation to people regarding the morning exposure..

Another thing I was thinking about was..
    If we sleep in a dark room no light gets in ( not like in nature)
    how does the body senses it's morning and wakes up naturally ?
  8. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

If I understand it right, the blue and red in the early visible light switches the pituitary on, stimulating releasing pituitary hormones. The UV coming in switches the hormones off. So if you go straight out to UV it can affect hormone release. If you see the VIS but miss the UVA transition, you could leave the pituitary hormones switched on when they should be off (or at least the seasonal volume turned down IYKWIM). Also the early morning light and a period of UVA preconditions the skin for UVB. IIRC the first bit of UVA may cause DNA damage, but then it stimulates DNA repair, so the longer I stay out in the morning, the better overall response.

Because of animals underground, hibernation etc, I believe we are also heavily influenced by the earth's rotation, as well as the light cues from the environment that fine tunes us to day length and season. If I look at a picture of the magnetosphere, and think of my location entering the magnetotail at night, (change....), in the middle of the magnetotail (change) and then emerging in the morning, (change) I think of it as the darker the room is, the more sensitive I am to that part of the biological magnetic field rhythm of the earth at night, that it improves my sleep biological rhythms and I wake up at the right time without needing a light signal. Then my aim is to "fine tune" it with the natural frequencies of light during the day, turning things on and off, or turning the volume up and down at the right time, with hormones fluctuating, in line with the season and latitude. :)
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    seanb4, shiran and Alex97232 like this.
  9. shiran

shiran Curious

That's interesting , I would love a blue light - sun - boot camp to learn more
  10. Inger

Inger Silver

I always sleep with wide open window, my bed is right at the window... and no curtains, so I wake up from the light shining on my face....
    Funnily I can sleep past sunrise tho, when sun rises very early I can still sleep until 7 AM, that is when i mostly wake up.. My eyes face east-south when I wake up, but the light still come into my room and I love it :). I do not like curtains and closed windows at all!
    But I get no fake light at all into my bedroom window.. outside is only green and the heaven...
    Phosphene and Alex97232 like this.
  11. Ted

Ted New Member

Great explanation.