1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sous Vide your bacon?

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by cinnamon, Jan 22, 2014.

1. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

In the recent reset community webinar, Jack told us how to cook our bacon to maximize the cysteine. I think he said to use a sous vide? I was a bit confused when I googled what that was and pictures of food in plastic bags showed up! I think I might have misunderstood?

In my google search, I also found recipes where people were cooking their bacon in water, so I tried that this morning. I put just enough water (good water, of course) to cover the bacon and then cooked over medium low until all the water evaporated and then kept cooking a couple more minutes - until the bacon crisped up a bit. It was delicious! And the fat in the pan was fabulous too! LOL please understand that I adore bacon! :cool:

So, what's the right way to cook it?

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Cin ..... You use plastic bags for the sou vide. What you did sounds really interesting. I have been wondering about simmering a piece of pork belly in water - what do you think. Is the plastic bag just to protect the meat? Or does it have an added benefit?
    We could just wrap the meat in saran wrap and simmer away? I used to make seafood sausages and do that....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

The point of sous vide cooking is to cook things at an exact temperature. A sous vide machine will keep the temperature of the water bath at your preset temperature ±0.5°C or so. A regular stove or oven will never give you that precision.

The plastic bags are for vacuum packing the food (sous vide = under vacuum).
    You vacuum pack the food to remove all the air from the bag, beacuse air leads heat worse than water, and it would also make the plastic bag - and parts of your food - float. And having the food in plastic bags makes the food cook in its own juice, which makes it very tender and juicy, and it doesn't lose any nutrients to the surrounding water.

And as for cooking in plastic bags... Well, most manufacturers of these vacuum bags claim that their bags are free from BPA and softeners. At least something. Another point to consider is that you normally don't boil your food or cook it at high temperatures when you cook sous vide. Even not-so-fine meats like prime rib can be cooked to perfection at around 57-58°C with enough time.

jwhb77 and Kristi Lambert like this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^^^bingo

jwhb77 likes this.
  5. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

Caroline and Rerun, thanks so much for all the valuable info regarding the sous vide method! And thank you, Jack, for confirming that this is what you meant.

How long do you expect it would take to cook my bacon by the sous vide method?

Last night I saw Jack and Misty in the Optimal Kitchen video where we get to see Jack's kitchen. Great video! In that, Jack talked about cooking bacon in the oven at 200 degrees. I guess this is also a good way to cook your bacon!

Yesterday I purchased some sliced pork belly - a first for me. This morning I put it in the oven at 200 degrees. I left it in there for nearly 2 hours as the slices were really thick. I ate eggs and bulletproof tea while waiting because it did make for a late breakfast. It was wonderful! Will try the oven method with regular bacon next (and expect it take the 20 to 30 minutes or so that Jack and Misty discussed).

Mayuri likes this.
  6. Hope

Hope Gold

Cinnamon, how did you make bulletproof tea? With EVCO?

7. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

I use a large cup of green tea and add about 2 tbsp butter, 1 tsp coconut oil and a half tsp d-ribose. That's the winter version. If I make it during the summer, I use 1 tsp butter and 2 tbsp coconut oil together with the d-ribose.

8. Hope

Hope Gold

Oh thank you for sharing. Wow. I do not do coffee, though just got it all ready for DH. I never thought of doing it with tea. THanks so much...

9. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I put a couple of pieces of pork in the slow cooker on low setting overnight with 2 large chopped onions and water. Fished out the pork, added a ladle full of the onion broth, added seasoning (I like seaweed sprinkles) and breakfast was ready. :) Pork was quite lean so will probably add more fat next time, or get a fattier cut of meat. Also have the rest of onion and meat juices in the water as the basis of a soup later. :cool:

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

so pork belly would have worked great in the slow cooker? trouble is I like pork belly with honey and soy sauce etc!

11. acasey

acasey New Member

I let pork belly simmer in water and when done saute it with veggies.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I eat tons of pork belly

Mayuri likes this.
  13. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Pork belly is my fav. Yummmm.....