1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Son who is always cold

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Sem, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Sem

Sem New Member

Hi everyone - my eight year old is constantly combining that he is cold. If it is 85 outside and I have the AC on in the car, he wants to wear a jacket with the hood on! He used to go to bed with just his underwear and now he wears full on pajamas, two blankets and insists that the windows are closed!

What to do?

2. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Sem, could you give a bit of background on your son?

3. Sem

Sem New Member

Sure. He's 8!years old. He has multiple food/environmental allergies and sensitivities. He also has ADHD and dyspraxia. He's a total carb/sugar craver but we've done a lot better cutting WAY back on all of that. I'm slowly easing into GAPS but waiting to go full force until later in the summer when we've finished some traveling.

4. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Sem, I am no expert on any of this, but your son sounds like me a couple of years ago. I was always cold like you are describing... and I ended up very very unwell. I believe these outward signs were huge warning lights that everything in my body was crashing. I read your comment this morning (it is now evening in New Zealand) and at first I wasn't going to respond since I really don't know anything medical to offer. But I've been mulling it over all day and I think it's critical that you don't go slow on this. I would seriously alter his diet and pronto and would be VERY concerned with getting the light cycles right (all lights, computers/screens out at first sign of dusk and nothing but candle/fire afterwards) and making sure he starts exposing himself to cold. Even if he just does face dunks. I am nowhere near where I want to be with cold adaptation, but we are in the midst of one of our coldest winters on record (in an unheated house) and I'm only chilly (where as last winter I was friggin miserable every moment of the day and night).

I'd be concerned about his o3/o6 ratio, his thyroid function, his adrenals, etc. I'd be thinking of getting wheat/gluten out 100% immediately and get good fats into his diet pronto, even if you don't tweak the rest asap. Dr K keeps reminding us that epigenetics is speeding up... we don't want to increase that speed in our children toward disease.

My kids were 7 and 10 when we made the switch to paleo and following circadian cycles and going to the beach to swim in 50 degree water. They were totally old enough to understand the reasons and I made sure to explain it all.

I would suggest you tell him that it's a sign that his body isn't coping well enough with his environment right now and that you need to change some things to help him be stronger and fitter and more cold-tolerant.

I realise that I am an adult (most days, anyway) and not an 8 year old boy. And I haven't had a child with cold sensitivity like this, but my son also had similar issues and they have now disappeared.

I hope this doesn't sound judgmental... I don't mean it to at all. I just noticed you hadn't had any other responses and I really feel for you and your son.

Best of luck (and maybe put it in the Ask Jack section so someone waaaaay smarter than me gives you input?).

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Sem,

I believe Lauren is 100% right on this. Please keep us posted as you start implementing this.

6. Sem

Sem New Member

Thank you Lauren and Destiny. I actually have started implementing much of this. Both my boys have been 100% gluten free for the past two months. I've cut them way back on sugar and processed foods. I make them eat lots of protein and healthy fats like CO, pastured butter, ghee, etc. I even started them on sauerkraut this week (although I can only get them to choke down about one spoonful). I've made bone broth and my own yogurt. They take lots of supplements including probiotics, FCLO +butter oil, fish oil, cal/mag citrate and a multi almost every day. My biggest problem is that my older son has been on ADHD meds and when I try to take him off he gets really anxious so I am not sure what to do about that. The doctor is not at all helpful because he thinks he should be on them and wants to increase the dose! It's the same basic issue I am having trying to get off of anti depressants! Please let me know what else you guys think I can do. I SO appreciate your opinions and do not get offended at all. I'm here for help and know there's more I can do but just not exactly sure what it is. And it's hard to get real support in the outside world. :)

7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Sem, sounds like they have a good start. You're doing goood. Can they do any swimming? It's a fun way to CT.

8. Sem

Sem New Member

Yes, we've been swimming a lot. However most of the pools are heated! The only pool that's not heated is at my mom's house because her heater blew out. I was so happy! :) She lives across the street from me so we go there a lot. I might try face dunking with him too. He might get a kick out of that!

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

You are so right that it is hard to get real support in the outside medical world. That is why we all flock to this site for help!

You already started and that is great. You need to patiently continue. Some days it will be two steps back but it is important to keep going. I got discouraged so many times but did not give up. This takes time, just keep going.

wildperoxin likes this.
  10. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I'm with you totally on how hard it is to get real support. A couple of suggestions I'd be thinking of. One is obvious: have a consult with Dr K re: your son. He fixed his own kids and he clearly knows miles about this stuff that we're only beginning to learn about. And your son could be on the call, too, so it would be inclusive. I remember Cavemam saying how helpful Dr K was in explaining things to her son.

Another suggestion it to address the underlying anxiety. You say that 'he gets really anxious' when you 'try to take him off' his meds. When you say 'try' does that mean he comes off for a while and then anxiety goes up? Or he gets anxious at the thought of it? You say also that it's the same when you 'try to get off anti depressants." Julia Ross and Dan Kalish both talk a lot about using natural means to deal with mood dysfunction and I believe Julia talks specifically about starting things like 5HTP and Tryptophan while still on the meds. And I know that Kalish has said that kids can safely take low doses of this stuff. I work a lot with children (and my own son had learning/attention/mood issues). The problem with staying on the meds is that they are doing something major to the brain and not usually in a good way. There is really no way to see if your dietary changes are working while you still put stimulants like Ritalin into his body. But I'm not quite clear what is causing the anxiety - the thought of it or the actuality of it - so maybe you can give some more info there.

I've also noticed that when we supplement our kids like crazy it can create the same effect as when we put them on meds... they feel really 'damaged' and like something is majorly wrong. I think it's really critical that kids get most of what they need from food and that they learn to enjoy their meals (even if everything they eat isn't their favourite). We all know how it feels to feel 'broken' and constantly worried about all we need to fix. I don't think we want our kids to feel that way. (I'm not saying yours do, just thinking out lout about my own experience.)

Lauren

wildperoxin likes this.
  11. Sem

Sem New Member

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I hadn't thought of doing a consult for my son. That's a great idea. Would I need to do labs for him first? Not sure what kind of labs you need to get for kids.

As for the meds, he doesn't even really know what they are for. He just thinks they are another vitamin. What I was referring to is his tendency towards anxiety and obsessive thought patterns. This seems to go up rather dramatically when I have taken him off the meds. I have dramatically decreased them since school has gotten out. He is definitely hyper and kind of moody but I haven't seen a bug spike in the anxiety so we will see.

I have read a lot about the 5-htp and tryptophan and was thinking of trying those. Maybe I will try to get a consult with Dr. Kalish too?

As for getting most of our supplements from food, I couldn't agree more but I don't think my kids are there yet. LOL. The spoonful of sauerkraut is still a major ordeal! I made them eat some salmon the other day and you would have thought I was subjecting them to water boarding! :) But I think we've made lots of progress!

Thanks again!

12. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I'd guess that in a consult with Dr K he could advise you about labs as well as offer some general thoughts and guidelines. Or you could first do one with Dr Kalish (who does an initial consult via phone/Skype, then tells you what labs to get, then follows up after the labs with recommendations).

I found that when my son had a really good breakfast (which, for him, is some sort of protein (usually a lamb sausage) and a lot of fat (I mix a tablespoon of melted butter with a tablespoon of melted CO, along with cinnamon and raw honey into plain yogurt), his mood stablised and his anxiety about school fell away. Since we started eating per Dr K's recommendations, my son has gone from wanting to stay home from school every day (and being told he is very behind in school as well as dyslexic, etc) to saying he loves school now and just being invited into the 'gifted and talented' programme! We also follow the light cycles religiously - candles only when sun goes down (which is currently 5:30pm!) - and his sleep is much improved too. Both my kids naturally wake just before sunrise and no longer say anything negative about going to bed. By 7:30 pm they are totally relaxed and tired and are sound asleep by 8.

Good luck. It is a LOT to worry about our children - I find it much more stressful than worrying about myself (which is stressful enough) and it takes a lot of effort to not operate out of a place of fear and anxiety. Hang in there!

13. Sem

Sem New Member

Lauren,

That's such amazing success! You must be so happy and proud of all of your efforts. The light cycle thing is tricky and I honestly don't see that happening in our house. It's easy right now because it's summer for us so it doesn't even get dark until after 8. But I am certain my husband would never agree to walking around with candles after 5 in the winter. Also, my 85 year old mother in law lives with us and I don't think it would be too safe for her! How do your kids get their homework and activities done in time? I have to say that my boys are fairly good about going to bed and I'm sure we can implement parts of this - like no electronics, tv, etc after dark. I just fed them a bug far breakfast of bacon, eggs and some leftover steak!

14. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Honestly? I just did it. My husband wasn't keen and my kids complained a lot. But - like with much of this - I explained a LOT and I insisted. Now, funnily enough, they don't bat an eye. We do homework by candlelight. We have candles set up in each room in safe holders so that when it gets dusk I just go and light them all. It isn't 100% because we don't have curtains on all our windows and the neighbours have lights on as well as street lights (bedrooms are totally blacked out). I can only speak from our experience, but you get used to it pretty fast. And your eyes adjust quickly. My kids are also excited about the fact that during summer they will get to stay up much later. I really believe the light cycles thing has had a huge effect on all of us - regulating moods, cortisol, melatonin, etc. - as well as eliminating nightly nightmares for my son. (It helped to get my husband on board by having him listen to the two TS Wiley interviews with Sean Croxton.) I think this is one area that makes a huge difference and is really only held back by our thoughts. We have just passed the shortest day of the year (sun up at 7:45am, sun down at 5:30) and we're handling it really well.

Good luck!

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

My husband wasn't keen either. His night vision was poor and he didn't like it dark. But since he has started cleaning up his diet, his night vision seems to be improving, like mine did. And he is getting sleepy earlier and sleeping through the night more often. He is also getting used to using the dimmer on the bathroom light in the morning. I'm lucky to have a DH who may not understand, but he does try to humor me. And he does notice benefits from respecting the light cycle. I wish someone would offer a TV with F.lux technology inside, because he does like his TV at night still.

16. Sem

Sem New Member

This is all fairly easy to do in the summer so we will try to ease into it. My older son (the one who is always cold) also likes to sleep with his lights dimmed. Two of the light bulbs went out and I'm just not replacing them!