1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

SOLATUBE for natural daylight indoors??

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Tanya McGowan, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Tanya McGowan

Tanya McGowan Texas Anesthetist (LSU Grad-Geaux Tigers!)

Getting consult/quotes tomorrow and want your opinions on this for pure daylight (not including the optional night light)...
    2. What tubing has the most efficient daylight output?
    Solatube International’s Spectralight Infinity Tubing is made of the world’s most reflective material, allowing it to achieve a Specular Reflectance of over 99% for visible wavelengths of light (the light we use to see). Since Spectralight Infinity Tubing is also “spectrally-neutral,” meaning that it reflects all the visible wavelengths equally well, it does not change the color of the light that it reflects. As a result, it delivers the brightest, purest daylight without major color shifts over the course of the day. Other tubing materials, such as silver-coated anodized aluminum, enhanced aluminum, and corrugated / flexible, are less efficient and lose significantly more light with each bounce through the tubing. The color of the transferred / reflected light will be changed since these reflective surfaces are not “spectrally-neutral,” meaning that they reflect some wavelengths of visible light better than others, therefore, filtering out (absorbing) some colors of light with each reflection. As a result, the color of the reflected light can shift and appear more green / blue or more yellow, depending on the tubing material.
    Even small differences in reflectance values can significantly impact light output. That’s because every time a ray of light is reflected, a small amount of that light is lost. The difference of just a few percentage points in reflectivity make a huge difference in overall performance. As a result, Solatube Spectralight® Infinity tubing is designed to:
    • Deliver up to 99.7% specular reflectivity for maximum daylight transfer
    • Allow for run long tube runs, which can include 90o bends, to deliver consistent daylight to lower floors
    • Provides the purest, most consistent spectral reflectance for visible wavelengths of light color rendition possible
    so colors are truer, brighter.
    The L*a*b color model is an excellent way of reporting the color consistency resulting from a reflective material, which is why Solatube International publishes the Spectralight Infinity’s L*a*b color indices as part of the product’s performance specification. Any company that doesn’t publish this data can be suspected of hiding a key performance factor that could result in inadequate product performance.

https://www.solatube.com/residential

Attached Files:

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I like this idea.....

3. Tanya McGowan

Awesome!!! Thanks Jack...wearing my kiniki bikini and getting Texas sun now barefoot grounded and chilly..appreciate feedback

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Sounds like you're trying it all.

5. JMO

JMO Silver

Just had one of these put in last fall...love it.

Tanya McGowan and drezy like this.
  6. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

It is a great idea for those of us who want sunlight when we are indoors. I thought so a few months back and suggested solar tubes in a thread then (although I don't have one installed yet).

Product you quoted (Solatube Daylighting System) has a built-in 'smart' night light powered by a small solar panel/storage battery-- I wonder how much blue light it emits.

Also, can you tell us how much of sun's wavelengths are preserved in light captured in tube? I get it that it captures visible spectrum but what about UV light for example?

Another possible issue with solar tubes in general-- do they capture RF microwaves in local environment and direct this radiation down its reflective tube into your living space?

Thanks.

Tanya McGowan likes this.
  7. Tanya McGowan

Great questions and just forwarded them to the consult dude. Gracias amigo!

Lahelada likes this.
  8. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Tanya, thanks for following up on this for us.

Unless your consultant dude is knowledgeable about nnEMF hazards I suspect they will give you a pat answer on RF microwave harvesting possibility of these tubes. They might even glibly say 'nothing harmful about our product-- so don't worry'.

Factual evidence comes from someone who has actually measured what shoots down metal tube in an average electrosmog environment-- perhaps it is not concerning, but who knows?

I'd be especially interested to know what goes down when 5G small cells come to town and antenna beam forming with lots of mm wave microwave juice gets aimed squarely at one of these solar tubes. Probably blow your socks off. I don't mean to scare anyone but good gracious none of us knows what is going to happen.

9. Tanya McGowan

True amigo— the owner of the local company Bill was super cool and sent back this honest response ASAP (will keep you updated):

I'll have o find out some of the answers. I don't know how they do this stuff but I know the harmful UV gets filtered out while letting the beneficial UV in. Plants LOVE the light Solatubes bring in. My mother in law grew plants in her interior stairwell for years with only the light from the Solatube.
    The nightlight is battery powered - solar recharged - with two LED bulbs. Not enough blue light to make a difference.
    As for the RF microwaves I'll have to ask and get back to you. My best guess is that if it were an issue that is harmful Solatube has addressed it just like they did for harmful UV. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can find out.
    Bill
    PS I'll get you those numbers tomorrow.