1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

So you want to now why progesterone and cortisol are huge for a leaky gut?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Jack Kruse, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I used to use black and green mix. That's the most traditional version. But b/c I'm so sensitive to the caffeine I've done a whole lot of experiments from decaf to roiboos to herbal. Thing is, you want to expose the mushroom to caffeine every few ferments to keep it nice and healthy. If you can't have the caffeine at all, make some friends happy :) Or barter, that's what I do :cool: Decaf and roiboos work both, herbal you have to be careful b/c some will damage the culture but it takes longer in general for the fermentation to happen. You could increase room temp to speed it up. In the summer it works no problem in the winter it can be a bit of a pain.

2. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

thanks for the tips. I am hoping to start this fall. Going to ferment coconut water first.

3. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Thanks Soul! It's finally starting to get more tart and surprisingly fizzy already too even though it's just covered loosely with a towel. I love the fizz, so no complaints here :) I think I'll get a warming mat for the next batch though to see if that helps speed it along.

5 gallons brewing? I'm in awe! I think I'm going to have to check into a continuous brewing system or just make sure to have several gallons going at once. The whole family is obsessed with this stuff and I love that it's an easy way to get some probees in them. So much easier than water kefir too, which I always seem to kill somehow!

4. stephaniesherie

stephaniesherie New Member

New here and LOVE LOVE all this talk about fermented foods!

I get my stuff from my local farmer's market. We use young coconut keifer ( I put in my smoothies) and fermented veggies. We have dropped a few lbs, flatter tummies, too!

5. diane

diane Gold

How do you ferment coconut water? I can't believe how much I'm learning here!

6. stephaniesherie

My local lady who makes it calls it young coconut keifer.

I've seen pics of how to make it online.

the Body Ecology lady (Donna Gates) uses it a lot.

7. stephaniesherie

What is Kevita? I see it's a probiotic drink.

Can it be consumed other ways, like in a smoothie? I love "sneaking" healthy things in my smoothies.

8. Pamela

Pamela Gold

I've been brewing Kombucha for a few months now and have gotten my procedure down pretty good. Right now I am only brewing one gallon at a time. The first scoby I bought was from someone on ebay and it was a very small scoby that didn't really produce how I wanted it to. Then I went to kombuchakamp.com/ and bought a very nice full size thick scoby, it was worth the price. I have also purchased my tea from them and the kombucha turns out very tasty every time. I've played around with the amount of sugar, 1C or 1.25C doesn't seem to matter much which I use and I brew for one full week in the summer, then do a 2nd ferment for 2 days. In the 2nd ferment I bottle into 3 bottles (old CO glass bottles) and add cut up ginger to them for the 2 days. At the end of the 2 days I then strain and pour the tea into old KT Kombucha glass bottles and then refrigerate. It is really great stuff and the cost is so much less.

9. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

You can buy the frozen young coconut water (used to be called body ecology but now is branded diff but same company) at some specialty health food stores. You can also buy the coconuts and tap into them for the water. I've done both in the past. Now I am just using filtered water, some starter, and a little bit of fresh fruit in the jar and two days later I have fizzy, non-sweet, water. Really good. Plus I still make the Kevita water, which I guess this is like that too but it is not made with probiotics.

10. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

What starter do you use?

11. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks for this post. This is exactly the last few details I needed. Now I also know a reputable place to buy a scoby and I need one.

12. melrito

melrito Gold

I got mine a couple years ago from kombuchakamp.com and it's still going strong...

13. Pamela

Pamela Gold

What do you do with all the babies? I've been tossing them or using them for an additional boost to the next brew and then throwing away whatever I feel is too thick for a brew.

14. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

15. melrito

melrito Gold

same, tossing them if it becomes too much to leave for the next batch. I have a 2.5 gallon brewing pot, so it can take quite a big scoby.

16. Why no pro biotics? I thought I read in one of the gut series, this was stated :D. Consider use of probiotic additives with Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifido Bacteria, Saccharomyces Boulardi,

I ask because my doctor diagnosed me with a leaky gut and has me taking somewhat large amount of pro biotics an digestive enzymes with every meal.

17. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Can somebody help me out here. I am trying to find out how progesterone being in the top quartile helps leaky gut. I don't see a mention of progesterone in the linked article...

18. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Does it help by keeping cortisol in check which reduces inflammation and permeability?
    If so wouldn't cortisol be the problem? Also what if cortisol is low as well?

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Context...........you need cortisol to unfold proteins when awake..........so cortisol is needed........but it is needed to work as designed and today's environment wont allow it.........so do you screw with cortisol or the environment to bio hack it..........??? you know my answer.

[​IMG]

brandie, Kristi Lambert and seanb4 like this.