1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

So you want to now why progesterone and cortisol are huge for a leaky gut?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Jack Kruse, Aug 5, 2012.

1. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I think kombucha is a lot more difficult to make than kevita is. Personnally, I like the flavor of kevita better too. There are tons of sites with DIY instructions for kombucha. Of course, you need to get a scoby (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) from someone that's already brewing kombucha. You may be able to grow your own scoby from a bottle of raw kombucha, but it would take about a month for the first batch.

2. chocolate

chocolate Silver

I think it's delicious, but I found an article that shows it breaks down to just vinegar. I keep thinking I should have kept the mothers for ( maybe) betaglucans. It's an edible birch fungus and we used to bite the bark off a birch tree for gum.

3. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Thank you Anna, I did not know it breaks down the caffiene. I used to make it and will hopefully start up this winter once I get past my busy season with work.

Here is a good site for making coconut kefir out of boxed coconut water.

http://bodyecology.com/articles/secrets-for-making-perfect-young-coconut-kefir.php

4. LinD

LinD New Member

I just bought Kevita from Sprout's last night. Didn't expect the fizz overflow when I opened it--ooops! Hope I didn't lose any of the good guys. Bought three flavors.... This morning's serving was mango coconut. Mango is not my favorite fruit, and thought the coconut would take over. Whatever. I can drink this, but looking forward to the lemon-ginger variety.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

i do the straight coconut mostly. Then the strawberry acai coconut. lowest in sugar.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Can't find the straight coconut in DCmetro area... I've been to every WFM in the region and asked about it...they can't get it... but they can get the other "flavors"

7. LinD

LinD New Member

I didn't see the straight coconut... Maybe they were out. But I do have the strawberry acai! I'll finish the mango coconut bottle first, though.

Thanks for the tip on the lower sugar content.

8. Definately check the carbs on those if you care about such things - they vary greatly. Plain coconut is lowest.

Also - I had a bottle literally explode like a bomb when I knocked it over on the counter after it was in a hot car. It was extremely upsetting - thankfully nobody else was there. It embedded shards of glass in a wooden floor and cut a chunk out of my arm. Now I have a scar there. Mostly i was terrified because of the GLASS B O M B.

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

not true.... it's a myth IMO. I'm super sensitive to caffeine and I have a full-blown caffeine reaction to kombucha. No way the "bacteria break down" anything. There's a study about it on the web somewhere that showed the same.

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Can't stand Kevita anymore. All I can taste is Stevia. Love my homemade kombucha. Ferment the heck out of it though. I like my homemade version of Kevita, though, but for some reason it resists becoming fizzy lately.

11. kathylu

kathylu Gold

MOM's has the plain coconut flavor.

12. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Agree. When I first started the Kevita I thought it was great, but now it has almost an artificial taste to me. I think it's the stevia. I've never been much of a fan. I tried homemade water kefir, but it was just a pain to keep going. The kombucha has been so much easier and I'm seeing noticeable benefits from it, so I'm going to keep up with it.

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

awesome... I'll have to hit them up! haven't been there in a couple of mths...

14. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I don't like the caffeine either---what kind of tea do you use for your Kombucha?

15. LinD

LinD New Member

That's terrible! Glad your eyes were spared this injury, CM.

The ginger lemon Kevita has 11gr sugar and the others in my frig show only 1gr. I'm still Simeon brain-washed and don't like going over 1gr sugar in a serving size. If the World Market 99% chocolate is really that, then it only has 1gr per half bar.

16. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Well shoot , the l-theonine turns into GABA supposedly. No wonder everyone craves it. i just found a site that sent it off for labs and the probiotics were just vinegar.

17. natural_girl

natural_girl Silver

Those are the kind I drink as well.

18. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Hey Soul,

When you say "ferment the heck out of it," how long do you let your first ferment go? I started homemade kombucha about a month ago by growing my own scoby from a bottle of plain kombucha. After about 14 days I ended up with a nice, super thick scoby, but it seems to take forever to ferment a batch of tea. My current batch has been fermenting for 12 days and still tastes pretty sweet to me. Granted, I keep my house at a fairly cool 68 degrees, but I didn't expect it to take that long.

The kids and I devour this stuff like crazy and I can't afford store bought anymore, so I think I'm going to have to have 2-3 gallons going at a time!

19. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Sorry BJ I never saw this. I ferment my kombucha until it hits ph 2.8 - 3.5 with test sticks. Anything below 2.5 is vinegar if I recall correctly... but then I love vinegar :D I try to get close to 3.5 or under but not over, and then I do a second ferment in the bottled state to allow it to become fizzy. The first fermentation can take forever based on the room temp, the lower the temp the longer it will take. 68 is pretty low for kombucha. Probably 3 weeks and counting at that temp.

I have 5 gallons going at a time..... my kitchen is a lab :cool: Last scobies were taking up half the gallon jar, they were HUGE. Then the fruit flies got them.... oh well. I got more in the fridge.

I also go by taste. There is a degree of tart that is too tart.... undrinkable, vinegar. And I don't like the sweet stuff either. I think your problem might be the room temp. Try some plant starter mats or reptile warming mats (wrap the container or put it under) or find a warmer spot in your house (higher up will be warmer, my fermentation vessels are on top of my pantries in the kitchen right under the ceiling).

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Anna K.;44853 wrote: Ok, Kombucha does has some caffeine in it if you use normal caffeinated tea to make it, but the amount is so insignificant that MOST people don't notice that.

According to one site the amount of caffeine in kombucha is similar to decaf coffee:

http://www.katalystkombucha.com/faq.html

Q: Is there any caffeine in Kombucha?

A: We have calculated that our Kombucha has approximately 5 mg of caffeine per serving. This as opposed to other caffeinated beverages is the lowest we have encountered , and those with sensitivity to caffeine have reported no adverse effects from our Kombucha.

Caffeine Content in 8-ounce Beverage: (in milligrams)

Coffee, Drip--115-175

Tea, instant--30

Tea, green--15

Hot cocoa--14

Coffee, Decaf, brewed--3-4

another place reports this:

"caffeine present in Kombucha is paired with a natural amino acid that slows it’s absorption into the bloodstream, l-theanine, with great side benefits."

http://www.kombuchakamp.com/2011/03/kombucha-and-caffeine-explained.html

Looks like the culture eats some of the caffeine from the tea and the longer you culture it, the less caffeine is left and what is left in it is diluted in a much larger quantity of liquid then a cup of tea.

"the amount of caffeine in the finished product is about 1/2 of what it was when you started with the plain tea. We use a range of teas, Black being the highest, green next, white, and rooibos which has no caffeine and has to be combined with a black or green. The SCOBY "eats" the caffeine and converts it. Without caffeine it cannot live. So, if you took an 8oz cup of black tea which has 40mg of caffeine (less than a 1/3 cup of coffee) and used it to make kombucha you would yeild 20mg of caffeine. That's a couple sips of coffee."

http://nessalla.com/node/11

Also, many people dont' recommend using caffeine-free tea for it because bacteria needs it. This is the best link about the use of different teas for it:

http://www.happyherbalist.com/differentteas.aspx

How to Decaffeinate Kombucha Tea

Kombucha Tea= about 1/3 of the typical caffeine of a cup of tea

Many kombucha authors and brewers debate whether Kombucha needs caffeine or not. In our research and in at least one journal the bacteria are energized by caffeine so some caffeine would seem wise. The typical amount of tea per batch of Kombucha Tea is 1/2 oz per 3 quarts (5-7 t-bags/ 15 grams). Strong tea (steeping a long time or using more tea ) provides more sterols and tannins and generally benefit the yeasts.

If you are sensitive to caffeine and prefer not to use herbal (non-caffeine_ teas than we suggest to simply use less tea. (use 1/3 less) or Pre-Steep for 30 seconds in boiling water (removes 80% of the caffeine). Discard that water. Steep tea for less than 5 minutes.

Kombucha can survive on the above method. But this will make a very weak tasting Kombucha Tea. You may notice that you can also now ferment for a few days longer decreasing the sugar content as well as increasing the perceived health benefits form a longer brew cycle. A longer ferment will also reduce the caffeine as the caffeine gets cannibalized as the other food sources are depleted. Unfortunately longer ferments also produce a very sour kombucha tea. If that happens try mixing with sparkling mineral water and enjoy a pleasant Kombucha Tea without as much caffeine or sugar.

This is *a* site that says this there is other studies that show that the caffeine is almost unaffected by the fermentation. Most websites that sell you kombucha or supplies will try to keep this issue hidden. There is definitely caffeine in kombucha..... I live in the Republic of Kombucha drinkers and we all agree.... there is caffeine in it. I'm one of the best test individuals for caffeine... there is caffeine in it.

There is a reason why people are giving up their morning joe for kombucha... b/c it has caffeine. Why they want it as a pick me up.... b/c it has caffeine.

Anyways. Do with it what you want or run your own experiment. I still believe my own body first.