1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

So let's try this ... DarleenMB

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by DarleenMB, Apr 3, 2012.

1. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

OK, got some of my 23andme results and just ran the data through genetic genie. Now I need a little help.

I have no MTHFR mutations.

Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
    • COMT V158M
    • COMT H62H
    • MAO-A R297R
    • MTRR A664A
    Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
    • VDR Bsm
    • VDR Taq
    • ACAT1-02
    • MTRR A66G
    • BHMT-08
    • CBS C699T
    • SHMT1 C1420T

Anybody have any words of wisdom or other thoughts to offer? I'm reading the accompanying text but it's slow going. My brain doesn't want to cooperate tonight.

2. endless

endless New Member

You got that from Genetic Genie? I just got a results table, no accompanying text:confused:

There's some info on several of those a page back in my journal...that's as far as I've gotten.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

I hope you figure it out before I get mine back! Please..... Didn't Dr. K suggest having testing done within 2 months of taking 23&me?

4. Martin

Martin Gold

VERY interesting results. I have ALL you have in the same mutation except for two - MTRR A664A, of which I am hetero, and BHMT, of which I'm a homo. My MTHFR 667/1298 status is negative as well.

Diane, are you my long-lost sister?! Did my mama..... never mind.

You have CBS mutations, which may mean you don't clear sulfur foods well.

Your VDR vitamin D receptors are +/- which may mean that you need a water-based Vit D sup ona counta it may not absorb well. I took 24,000 IU's a day for five months and my levels went from 25 to only 52.

And other snips that do all kinds of weird stuff.

What to do?

VERY complicated strategy to bypass the mutations that we have. I did some sulfur food elimination on my own and got hammered with detoxing. Ugh. Backed off and waiting for consult with Dr Tim Jackson to discuss getting some relief from this hole I'm in. Meanwhile, doing all I can to reduce EMF's and stickin' my feet in the mud to ground, huggin' trees.

Doc K has some interesting info coming down the pike with this EMF thing, so perhaps you can wait and read/listen and decide then?

Your decision, sis.

5. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Like Martin said, Dr. K has some things coming up. I would have liked them months ago as I feel some of the protocol for methylation has set me back. Just because we have a snip does not mean it has expressed itself. I was put on a low sulfur diet and it was 7 months. Sulfur --I think is one of the 9 essential minerals. I was getting sicker so I just pulled back from all that. It is deeper than methylation. Methylation is like a branch of what is going on in our body. We can work branches all we want and spin our wheels. I have been taking down so many rabbit holes it makes me sick to think of all the damage done and the money and health deterioration. GLad to know Dr. K has more ideas. I just can't get them fast enough. Just some of my thoughts, hope you don't mind.

6. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Just finished reading all the text that came with the genetic genie. Krista you might try running it through again. Did you get lots of reds and yellows on your table? If so you should have had explanatory text with it.

My initial response is that I'm going to keep on doing what I've been doing but stop the NAC for now and cut back on the sulfur stuff. I've been taking a tsp of MSM daily so am going to stop that for a bit. I'm also going to try to eat a lot more fish. I'm giving up eggs for now and I haven't eaten veggies at all this winter so that's not an issue right now.

My low vitamin D levels are explained by this (that and the fact I've avoided the sun like forever) so I think I'm going to continue what I've been doing. Just need to find water-based D for now.

I'm also going to add in gingko and 5HTP to my daily supps. Just from the first thorough read-through I don't think I"m in all that bad a shape. About the 20th time I go through this I might finally have a glimmer of understanding. But right now I don't think I need to make a lot of changes.

thanks for the input!

7. endless

endless New Member

I have 3 reds and 7 yellows....2 of which ARE MTHFR defects (which my brain insists on reading as 'm*th@rf&ck#r defects). I did run it again, that stuff has all been recently added since I did mine. I have to do a lot more reading to figure it out!

8. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Dr. Yasko does say that MAO + could benefit from small amounts of 5htp spread out throughout the day. I have not tried it because of 5htp making sleep worse but it might have been the dose. I might need just a sprinkle.

9. freesia

freesia Old Member

Hehe yes I think a lot of people read it that way!!!

Kyle has been working really hard on devloping the site (he's pretty unwell with ME so hopefully he's not overdoing it, and the odd little donation is coming his way for his effort). I think he intends to make it eventually so you can pull your cytochrome P450 snps - detox genes, out too. Methylation and detox snps can impact each other so this will be very useful I think. I had to do mine the manual way and it too days! Aarrggghh!
    He originally made the geneticgenie site for the ME community, which is pretty neglected when it comes to any kind of healthcare, and I don't think he could have anticipated how many people would want to use it.
    Keep a watch out for the detox snp tool. :)

10. freesia

freesia Old Member

Been spinning my wheels with methylation treatments for years too. I only made some limited progress on the third attempt (in 2011) when I added in mitochondrial support...Q10, l-carnitine and lots of mg...and taurine incidentally. :D
    It's much deeper than methylation. I think we need to fix endogenous stuff...support the methylation cycle from a more foundational perspective. Then maybe throw a few supporting supplements in depending on critical snps.

Freshveggies I'm glad you're getting some sufur, and I hope you're doing OK overall. xx

11. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Thank you. I got a UAA test back and still high ammonia and med taurine. Nothing really I can do about it at this time. Sleep is my issue at hand.

12. freesia

freesia Old Member

Sleep = critical.
    I have only once been sleep deprived like you described, and right now I think nothing else matters.
    Hang in there. :)

13. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

LOL. Me too! Great minds think alike I guess.

14. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I think there are many factors at work. I am homozygous for both VDR SNPs but managed to get my Vit D up to 90 (from 43) with regular supps. Improving one aspect may mean another one begins to exhibit symptoms that wasn't previously a problem. Working on one thing at a time makes the most sense so you can gauge improvement and go from there. If you have the funds, a consultation with Tim Jackson may be enlightening (it was for me).

15. Martin

Martin Gold

From endless: "m*th@rf&ck#r defects"

I've soooo wanted to post this!

Sums it up nicely, thanks, endless.

Martin

16. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Love it!! LOL!

17. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

m*th@rf&ck#r defects aside, and back to my journaling attempts ...

Went out to The Powderhorn club house for dinner last night. Sort of early VD and sort of "thank you" to friends who have lent us their ATV for the winter so hubs can keep the driveway cleared. His ATV is on the fritz.

I had the NY strip with 3 grilled tiger prawns. That cow musta put up quite a fight because it had so much connective tissue and stringy icky stuff in it that even my Jack-sized steak knife couldn't hack most of it off. Flavor was good, though. It came with roasted potatoes and baby carrots which I didn't eat. I did eat the iceberg lettuce wedge though ... raspberry vinegrette and blue cheese (yummmy) and then I did a BAD BAD THING (cue Chris Isaacs).

I have been so good for so long I don't know why I do this stuff.

sigh

chocolate peanut butter cheesecake.

OKOK I did NOT touch the cookie crumb crust. I only ate about half the cheesecake but I ate ALL the chocolate ganache.

So then my tummy was upset. (SERVES YOU RIGHT YOU PINHEAD). GAH!!!!!

(bangs head on desk in frustration)

What else to do but pick myself up, dust myself off, go read EMF 5 (happy VD to you too dude!) and then read it about 60 more times.

ON THE GOOD NEWS FRONT!!!!!

My "friend's" suit against madameX is headed to closing statements and she got all the damning documentation entered into evidence. PLEASE keep your fingers crossed. We're all hoping for a verdict from the jury before the day is out. The bad news is the bitch has threatened in public to the judge that she isn't done suing people yet and she actually named 2 names (mine was not one thank god). Never mind no one ever did anything TO her. Quite the contrary. She is hell bent on driving all of us into poverty and making us all homeless. (insert pause while I hyperventilate and call her EVERY SINGLE BAD WORD in the book).

I have to tell you I am so disappointed in how our legal system DOESN'T WORK. To top it all off I'm reading John Grisham's latest and it's sorely pissing me off. There is no justice in this country. Probably never has been. But to get ensnared in it is a real eye opener. I hope NONE of you ever has to experience this shit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  18. diane

diane Gold

Fingers crossed Darleen! Hope the justice system gets it right this time.

19. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

MWAHAHAHAHA I just found it ... 3% of my DNA is Neanderthal. So THAT explains it! Damned Viking ancestors ;)

20. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

It's fun to find out those little facts about yourself, isn't it?