1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

So how do you know your gut is healthy?

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by KiwiLauren, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

it means you field is big time in flux.......or your cell membranes in your brain are...........your labs will figure out which one is out of whack

2. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Well, that's my problem, almost all of my labs are in normal range. My amylase is too high and zinc a little too low. So I assume the amylase affects my gut and zinc my brain.

3. gokhals

gokhals New Member

I do not know about the probiotic supplements, but probiotic foods definitely help me digest food better. In particular, I digest meats better. Food does not sit like a stone in my belly. And all probiotics pass through a shower of my stomach acids. Methinks, this body of science needs more research. Unfortunately, there is little profit in this. So I doubt there will be research grants for it anytime soon.

4. I was told by my doctor that there is a connection between urinary tract infections and a bad gut.

5. nicld

nicld Gold

Just read this thread and very interesting. I am working on getting my gut healthy and have gone from 2's a year ago to 6 and 7's most days now but I am working on a treatment for gut issue right now and am getting close to the end of one treatment. I will be very curios to see how it changes once I am done.

6. I have found the previous blog on the gut/collagen to be fascinating in its discussion of creating or losing a diverse biome. I came across this quote today when I read Jack's post on intermittent fasting.

"At its core, when one IF’s it creates a “temporary” cellular stress due to lack of food at certain times. IFing’s main benefit is in creating a diverse microbiome in the gut."

http://jackkruse.com/intermittent-fasting-and-leptin/

I have read a lot about intermittent fasting but had not heard that it improves the guts ability to create a diverse biome. I actually don't understand how it does this. I wonder if it is hormetic for the biome bacteria. Just a crazy thought!

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You gut is tied to your brain and your brain senses it all........if something is broken it is because there is a loss of control of signaling. The only way to limit that chaos is with more energy added to the system........cheapest form of energy thermodynamically is an electron. So when you understand that.......sickness is a loss of them in some system in the body.

Josh, Danco3636 and NeilBB like this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It does this by creating an island of isolation in your small bowel..............This is the basis of how ecology works in bacteria. It is based upon the work of EO Wilson. IFing major cellular effect is to increase autophagy. Autophagy is the change program in mitochondria that save them or push them to cell suicide.

Josh and NeilBB like this.
  9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Melanie, you ask good questions! You can also ask them right on the pertinent blogpost as well, especially if it is a recent post. Others who don't venture into the forums might benefit from your questions and their answers.

seanb4 likes this.
  10. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I also would like to know.

I've heard it's 1 for every meal.

Jack, could you elebrate on your depends what you eat idea? If you had a 1 mixed meal per day would certain parts of the meal travel faster than others?

11. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

It's not clear to me how the gastrocolic reflex has been modified in zoo animals -- or "zoo humans" as Erwan would call them/us.

However, the implication seems to be that it's become over-reactive for many people. Note Jack links a Wikipedia article which states:

That seems clear enough.

That also seems to be the implication in Dr. Kruse's own text:

I understand that people with really disturbed digestions often alternate between constipation and diarrhoea.

AFAIK, something like once a day is normal for most healthy people. If the food is very bulky, it may be more than once. Conversely, people eating very few plant foods may go a day or two between bowel movements. Stefansson mentions it here (I guess the isolated populations Stefansson was writing about were healthy):

owndoc.com/pdf/The-fat-of-the-land.pdf

12. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I would think there can only be two sorts of defecation that aren't normal, constipation and diarrhoea. Frequency and consistency otherwise must depend very much on what you eat, how much you eat and how often. What's normal for me may be quite different to anyone else. I am quite attuned to my bowel function yet it often mystifies me, it varies often from day to day in frequency especially.

13. nicld

nicld Gold

I know I should dive into this more but I like going once a day even if it is a 6-7. I know that it means something is still off but having dealt with constipation for so many years, I am so afraid something will happen and it will return especially after dealing with it again this weekend and feeling miserable.

seanb4 likes this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

15. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

If your circadian rhythm is tuned you should have a regular BM about 8:30 am. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biological_clock_human.svg
    I have been diligent in establishing proper circadian cycle and have daily BM like clockwork at 7:30am unless I have made some radical dietary change recently. A cold or flu can throw this off also.

nicld likes this.
  16. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

But for one with poor redox, we wouldn't want to be IFing, correct? So how would one with very poor redox improve their gut function other than the obvious of collecting as many electrons as possible and focusing on redox?

17. http://jackkruse.com/organizational-structural-failure-1-gutcollagen-link/

Jack discusses in the gut/collagen blog that the obesity surgery is a bad idea as it oxygenates the gut, an area that should be anaerobic. Actually, the reason it should be anaerobic due to the symbiotic relationship of the bacteria and host (It is much more interesting than that but I won't go there.). How would this principle apply to people doing colonics and/enemas?

18. Jack, what is your May biohack? Can we try too?

19. Inger

Inger Silver

Jack says in another thread
    sunlight is clear to me but hypoxia....??? do we need to hold our breath?eh...:confused:

I do have realized when I eat raw natural animals foods (the natural version with organs and oysters etc) only and eat super clean and raw i barely breath... it is very cool, like my body needs way less oxygen? But I am not good in holding my breath i do not like to push it. Maybe some trauma from my childhood when my brothers put a pillow on my face and sat on it :(