1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Small volume, zero carb, 70g protein, rest fat

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by seanb4, Mar 2, 2014.

1. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I almost definitely made it wrong. I'm pretty terrible at cooking, i've tried to make sauerkraut dozens of times and fucked up each one.

2. kovita

kovita Gold

I assume you went through the usual medical investigations including gastroscopy etc and there was nothing abvious to find. Have you tried acupuncture? It is good for balancing the vagal tone. I have made veru good experince with energetical physio relieving deep internal tissues tensions. Really good experience, guess Imwas lucky with the therapist. It eventually moved me a lot emotionally and psychologically as well, My whole body and mind relaxed. Maybe you should stop concentrating so much on food and work more on other layers support. I think Chris Kresser book your personla paleo code is providing quite good overall template not emphasizing so much diet as it tends to be the case with usual paleo.

Alex97232 likes this.
  3. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Right -- allergic reactions or something of the sort to the chocolate.

I would supplement magnesium anyway -- something like this would do:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Source-Naturals-Magnesium-Malate-Tablets/dp/B0013RGUK8/

Possibly you could do the same with pottasium. Dr. Mike Eades recommends it for people starting on a low-carb diet. This is quite an interesting article in which he mentions that among other things:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

What about meal frequency and timing? Do you have the water away from the food or together with it?

Right.

The rilletes are fairly dear, but I thik they're probably a fairly good option for LCHF diets. It's really just shredded pork mixed with lard. Waitrose also do a goose rilletes, but that has additives. It comes in little four ounces tubs. I find that half a tub with dressed some salad makes a good light lunch. This morning I had a spoonful with some eggs and some ham. They put the tubs with the pates on a shelf near the salads, if you're interested to try it -- they look like this:

http://www.waitrose.com/webapp/wcs/...000-Unearthed+pork+rillets.html?storeId=10317

Yes, the hospitals use (or used?) raw egg yolks for that non-alcoholic egg-nog thing.

Have you tried Jack's Optimal Coffee? There's another high-fat drink.

What has your doctor said? Have you been sent for tests or an endoscopy?

4. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

@kovita yea I've had endoscopy, barium meal, hpylori, cat scan which have all come back fine.
    Might try acupuncture when I get some money though doesn't it work by stealing current from the brain or something, is this bad?
    What are the symptoms from deep internal tissue tension?
    Yea I'm not too concerned about what I eat, as long as it doesn't give additional symptoms, I'm more concerned with how much I eat (volume). I figure this, high fat, may reduce overall volume of food and water I need to consume which will then lessen my stomach symptoms. I used to read a lot of chris kressers web site. He has some good idea's but none of which seem to specifically help me.

@Gagnrad I should probably supplement magnesium, etc again. I have done in the past but noticed not much difference, constipation was slightly less, I just ran out and forgot to buy again. It would be more convenient to get it from food however.
    Yeah I've tried various thing involving meal frequency, timing, and content. I've sort of settled for half a litre of water spaced out over the hour I wake up, breakfast, 3hrish gap then take mouthfulls of water every 10 mins or so until tea time.
    Might check out the rillets next time I pass a waitrose. Will also try the egg nog.
    Not sure about the coffee, I find it better to space my liquid consumption out.
    I have listed the tests in the paragraph above. I have been up and down the doctors for the last 2.5 years. Tried differen't medication etc. It always ends with them saying they have no idea what it is and I should get on with my life.
    I think they think that because my tests have come back fine, it's not life threatening and I'm probably being overdramatic or a hypochondriac. I have in the past accepted this as there diagnosis because I don't have much faith in the NHS and I had things I wanted to try myself to fix me.
    I am now seeing the GP again and this time however I cannot accept that as a diagnosis as I have pretty much run out of things to try and am getting worse. Although having said that I really don't know what else they can do for me, run the stomach emptying test again maybe...

5. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Well, maybe, but it's easy to misinterpret what others are thinking.

This being that they've said "they have no idea what it is and I should get on with my life" or something like it.

I suppose if this means that because they don't know what it is, you should conclude there is no problem, it's a dodgy "diagnosis". As you say, they may not be able to think of anything else, but it doesn't follow that you haven't got a problem.

I wonder if your gut flora is disrupted. Have they ever tried to find out what it looks like?

As you're open to acupuncture, perhaps you might look at neurofeedback. That's not cheap, unfortunately. It does seem to have been used for GI issues with some success, though. Nora Gedgaudas has a podcast on that:

If you scroll down it's the one from Aug 12, 2009 here:

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/lectures-and-workshops/

These things are so complex. There's a suggestion that GERD could "result from a disordered myoelectric activity of the esophagus":

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC526194/

6. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Yea, you're right, I'm also generalizing. It's just the feel I got from some doctors.

The gut flora's a possibility however I have had no success with probiotics and I don't really exibit some of the main SIBO/Candida symptoms...

The neurofeedback definitely sounds interesting, I have downloaded the podcast and thanks for the link on GERD too. It's appreciated.

7. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

It may be something that's not been cost-effective for the NHS to consider much in the past. That seems to be changing:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/feb/11/gut-biology-health-bacteria-future-medicine

At 15 quid a throw? They might consider it now. Maybe there's a local hospital that can and will do it for a GP.

Hope they're of some interest. All the best.

8. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I will mention the £15 testing at some point to the GP and if that fails hopefully I can get it done myself for around that price.

9. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

How do you guys make curries, I tried to do 100g creamed coconut, 60g butter, canned tomato juice, 2 egg, pate mackerel, and curry powder. It was way to large volume and did not taste nice, didn't even finish half of it.

How do you make the curry sauce using good ingredients, make it high fat, and taste okay?

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

There are tons of epi paleo recipes on line .... go to nom nom paleo ..... but there are literally tons of great recipes.

You need to make sauce first and then gently poach the fish in it....... eggs??? pate????

Do you have Jack's Ecookbook?

details matter.....you can't just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and expect great results .....well, sometimes you get lucky .....but you need a plan! just like life....

11. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

... oh ....

Yeah I'm more wandering what the sauce is made of though, every time it seems to be coconut milk or tomatoes but this makes the curry very bulky.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

but - the sauce can be basically anything you would like.... look up some recipes on line and see if they appeal to you.
    There is a great seafood recipe here - in the recipe section.

13. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

Mackerel and coconut? :eek: AND tomato juice?! o_O Uhmmm... I'm not sure I would finish that either...

As for a curry, I sear some onions and garlic in suet/butter/coconut oil; add a chopped chilli pepper; then add coconut milk; in with herbs/spices like turmeric, ginger, lemon grass, cardamom, chilli powder, paprika, saffron, cinnemon etc. depending on what I feel up to...
    For a meat curry I would sear my meat next to the onions and let the whole pot simmer very gently for an hour or two, depending on which muscle I'm cooking. For a seafood curry I would add pieces of white fish and/or shrimps and other creatures just a couple minutes before serving.

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Sean said eggs and pate too ...... yuk!

15. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Okay, okay, I get it, I'd make a terrible cook.

I just work out the macro and micro nutrients first and worry about taste later.

Thing with coconut milk is it is quite high volume. I tried doing creamed coconut mixed with butter but I couldn't stomach that.

Is there away you can make the sauce almost entirely out of like beef fat or would it taste wrong?

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

I think maybe you are trying too hard here. What if you just saute some onions and garlic and ginger in a little ghee and then add a little coconut milk and add the spices that you like and simmer for awhile.....

Alex97232 likes this.
  17. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

hmm... maybe...might give it a try.

18. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

We all appreciate different things, but a sauce of almost entirely beef fat? I can't imagine anyone appreciating that.
    Pig fat, on the other hand, has a much nicer flavor. That works. If you eat pork, that is...

19. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Sorry Sean, still chuckling here. Sign up to your local library and browse the cookery book section, find one that appeals to your taste buds, try a simple recipe and once you get that right, adapt it a little, more spices, different meat etc. Creamed coconut is great, I love it, but I just cut a little bit off the block and eat it, it's too claggy to eat a lot in one go, at least unless you've got plenty of water to wash it down. Everyone has to start somewhere learning to cook, once you master a few basics it's much easier to experiment.

It seems to me that you are trying to eat more fat than anything else, this is always going to be tricky as it's not the most appealing substance. I love butter but eating it straight off the block, nope, it just doesn't appeal. I can easily drink a coffee with two tablespoons of butter in it though :) Boiled egg mashed with butter, not bad, scrambled eggs with loads of butter, fine. Omelette filled with cream coconut grated with maybe spring onion or sprinkle on some spices, should be fine. Start small, it's no good throwing the contents of your fridge into a pan, if it tastes horrid, you've wasted food.

Best time to shop in most supermarkets is around 8pm, they mark the fresh stuff down to silly prices to get rid. As the sell by/eat by dates are usually rubbish (except maybe fish) then you can buy knowing that it will last several days longer than they suggest. Makes shopping cheaper so that if you do make something inedible, binning it won't hurt your pocket so much.

20. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Thanks for the tips sooperb. I've kind of settled into eating salmon/mackerel, avocado, 25g beef dripping and 4tbsp olive oil although the fat is pretty sickly when eating this making it quite difficult to eat. I think higher fat might also be causing more reflux type issues. I ate the above meal for tea at 4:30, went to sleep at 9:15, woke at 10 feeling sick/reflux and had to sit/stand up for the next 2hrs before getting back to sleep. Woke at 2 with stomach cramps and had a diahrea-y BM. This was probably from taking some of the olive oil straight off the spoon before tea. Been on water all day today until now when having my tea.

I think to counter this sickly feeling I'm getting with the oils I will eat more avocado.