1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Slow Cookers

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Lyndra, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I'm in the market for a new one. I love mine (an old Corning ware version) but it only holds about 3 quarts. I'd like something double that size. Every time I start looking there are too many choices (per Barry's recent post) and I get frustrated and stop looking. The only hard-and-fast requirement is not teflon (or other non-stick) coating. I'm willing to pay more to get quality and durability. Anybody have one they love and can recommend?

2. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The girls in my office bought me a stainless one for Xmas last yr.......I already need a new one.

4. I bought a big 7 q one at Kohls, on sale for $19. Hate it. It's low is too high, it boils. My ancient (from college!) one which is small is great. Let me know if you find something, I keep eyeing the pricey ones at Williams and Sonoma, but that seems crazy to spend on one of those. At least if I spent that much, I would definately return it if it didn't simmer low enough!

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I got the same Crockpot Stainless Steel and it committed suicide a couple nights ago. Boiled over or something. And the handle of the lid melted off. :confused: Lasted all but a few months. Going back to Bed Bath and Beyond.

6. tweety

tweety New Member

It's not 7 qts, but I got a vita clay slow cooker (really for rice) last year and I LOVE it! My only complaint is I should have gotten the bigger one. It was about $70, and so worth it. I don't worry about any toxins, and it makes wonderful broths and stews.

For bigger items I bought a large basic crockpot with the black enamel coating. I think I found it at target for around $50? It's good for larger batches of broth or big roasts. But the flavor doesn't compare to the clay cooker.

7. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Yeah, a time or two I've been close to buying an expensive one online (Amazon or W&S) and then I read the reviews and get discouraged. Nobody seems to like them, the insert breaks, etc. I should have also said I want one that is safe to leave cooking for hours while we're not home. I'm using a pot on the stove these days but I really don't want to leave the house with a burner turned on.

8. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I have a Hamilton Beach and I absolutely love it. It has a ceramic insert and cleans very nice. I love that I can program it for how many hours I want and then it automatically goes to a warm cycle until you shut it off or 24 hours have passed. It also has a thermometer to cook by temp. So far, no downsides.

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

We replaced our "crockpot" brand this past spring. Found a 7-9qt oval one on amazon w/free shipping for around $30

That thing gets a workout at least once/week