1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sleeping on the floor/hard surface - Better for recovery?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by FF_BC, Apr 13, 2012.

1. FF_BC

FF_BC New Member

This is a thing I've been thinking about for quite a long time...

When sleeping in a bed post exercise I wake up with much more muscle soreness than sleeping on the floor, with only a really thin madress between me and the floor.

I discovered this while having back problems. When sleeping in a bed my back problems got worse, then I decided to sleep at the floor and the back problems dissappeared. When sleeping in my bed again for a couple of weeks the backache came back. Despite having backache I worked out and that's how I discovered that when sleeping on the floor I had less muscle soreness.

My Hypothesis is:

When sleeping in a "soft" bed (the softness is relative to your weight and body constitution of course), the soft bed squeezes at your body, and limits bloodflow. This means that your muscles are not getting all the bloodflow it would have if sleeping on a "non constrictive" surface. Also due to the increased pressure on to your body, your heart must work harder to pump the blood. The increased heartrate may be interfering with your sleep and recovery.

I have experienced that sleeping on a hard surface is causing another type of soreness
    , a more pleasant type of soreness. I feel that my muscles are less stiff in the morning, more ready to work.

When sleeping on a hard surface you will change your position more often and this can cause disturbance in your sleep, however you will get "Hard surface adapted"
    after a while:cool: I believe that the more frequent changes in position is a good thing, since you limit the time a certain part of the body are under pressure.

The same as sitting or standing in the same position for a long time can be bad, sleeping in the same position might be bad. A soft bed, a soft chair, shoes with thick soles are deafening our body to potential hazards.

2. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

I think this article will answer your questions. I've tried this myself but gave up when I was finding so many spiders in my room before bed:rolleyes: After going back to the mattress I felt unmotivated to try again. However, I am a side sleeper and seem to have bonier joints than most people. My shoulders and hips always hurt from it, perhaps things might be better with CT though.

http://www.zafu.net/sleepergonomics.html

3. FF_BC

FF_BC New Member

Thank you for the link! :) In Sweden the spiders are quite few, the "problem" before was that you get a little cold sleeping on the floor. But since starting CT that's not a problem ;) Right now I am sleeping on the floor under an open window (30-40F outside), with only a sleeping sheet.

Awesome link!

4. wyldeman

wyldeman New Member

The author of that link and his business is right near me ! I actually have slept on one of their kapok filled thin futons for the past few years. I love it !

I didn't want to believe it, but when I payed attention I found I actually sleep better on a harder surface...then i found that article and the company (which just happened to be local).