1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sleeping in a tent

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by mdavid, Aug 31, 2021.

1. mdavid

mdavid Silver

Mind was wandering the other day, was thinking of purchasing a tent and sleeping in it one or two nights per week esp with fall coming and those crisp cool nights. The issues I have thought of are the chemicals in the tents, both plastics and fire retardants, as well as the possibility that the "floor" of the tent might prevent earthing at least to some degree. I am willing to try to sleep on the ground with no pad etc, just a sheet on the "floor" of the tent. I would prefer a completely enclosed tent with a floor as I don't necessarily want bugs from the ground crawling all over me or mosquitoes.

Before I spend time digging into this I figured I would post here and see if anyone has gone through this and come out with a good solution.

2. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras

Here is a rough example of what I would like to try.
    dugout shelter.png

Dig out a place, make raised edges and cover over the raised edges with a tarp. So no rain can get in and gets redirected somewhere else.

The deeper it is likely, the warmer it will be during cold months since deeper ground maintains ~54F year round.

It is important to pick an elevated area to make shelter to begin with so you keep away rain, dew and moisture.

Fog will flow down into lower areas and can make you wet even when there is no rain.

Vegetation transpires water and if you put your tent or other shelter on top of vegetation like grass it will create a wet warm area where bugs will gather.

3. Dan2

Dan2 Pedantic schlub

4. mdavid

mdavid Silver

Thank you both for your suggestions, I had not thought of a framed wall tent, I will check out some more of the videos, at least for now I would like to find something small for 1-2 people made of canvas with some ventilation netting, something I can easily assemble and disassemble in a few mins by myself.

My father lives out in the country so I will likely use the tent there, he will probably think I am nuts and wont want anything permanent on his property, my house is just outside of town but I am on a fairly main road with not too much property so I don't love the idea of. I also have a condo but they would likely frown upon a tent outside, however there is a sandy island that is a quick ride on the boat from there that I may also set the tent up on, I believe it is not allowed but if I get there late at night with a small tent and pack up early AM I can't see anyone hassling me.

5. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras