1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sleep Paralysis anyone?!

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nuttmegs17, Jun 15, 2012.

1. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Hello!

I thought this forum might be just the place to get to the bottom of my husbands sleep paralysis. This is a somewhat nonscientific description:

“The subject awakes to consciousness of his environment but is incapable of moving a muscle; lying to all appearance still asleep. He is really engaged in a struggle for movement fraught with acute mental distress; could he but manage to stir, the spell would vanish instantly.”

He also sometimes has the feeling of a "presence" in the area as well which lines up with more sleep paralysis descriptions:

In addition, the paralysis may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger.[9] Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual because of the vividness of such hallucinations.[8] The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful or dream-like objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for reports of alien abductions and ghostly encounters.[10

Basically, he is usually on his back - its usually pretty late or super early A.M., and then I am awoken by "screams" if you can even call them that. I can hear him trying to scream but his mouth literally can't move to form the words. I have to shake him REALLY hard to get him to wake up/stir. Then he will tell me that he was completley aware of my attempts to wake him but couldnt communicate. Its...unsettling...for the both of us - but him especially.

Google has not been much help and I'm curious if anyone here has experience with this, what could be causing it, how to prevent it etc? It happens once or twice every several months so luckily its not an everyday occurance, but I'd love to find out more.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

sounds like an atypical gliadin issue.

3. LinD

LinD New Member

Nuttmegs.

I've experienced something similar & had a color note on the issue, but it didn't get backed up. I'll try to find what it is that I found over a year ago. BTW, it hasn't happened in a long time.

4. janagram

janagram New Member

you could google "out of body" experiences and then zero in on sleep paralysis within that subject, because there is a lot of info on that.

Apparently, this is common in people who have out of body experiences (OOB).....quite fascinating!

5. tweety

tweety New Member

I did this for years. It started the day I had anesthesia for an endoscopy. I came home, and was so drugged and had that sleep paralysis all day and night. Since then, I would get it randomly. Over the years it reduced, and was mainly when I napped or when I was on my back. If I woke in the middle of the night I would do this while trying to fall back to sleep. The only coping mechanism I had was to practice deep breathing (as much as I could) and relaxing thoughts while stuck in the paralysis. When I finally jerked myself out of it, I would have to get up out of bed, drink some water, move a little and then I could safely fall back asleep. If I didn't do this, and just laid back down, it would continue.

It finally went away, I think for good when I quit eating grains two years ago. It wasn't constant, so it was a few months before I realized it was gone. Someone told me once it was a sleep issue, where my mind and my body were in two different states of sleep. I feel for him, because even though I knew they were harmless, they were pretty frightening.

6. tweety

tweety New Member

could you elaborate? I am curious about this.

7. LinD

LinD New Member

Same here... Atypical gliadin?

8. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

I struggled with this too (usually after taking something like benedryl) Anyway I found a tip that works when I remember to use it. Being in a panicky dream state makes it hard to remember the tip. Anyway.....tell him to wiggle his toes. It works. Now I am going to go research gliadin :)

9. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

By the way, you are awesome to wake him up during this. My husband sometimes ignores my "scream" attempts and it is torture trying to pull myself out of the paralysis and accompanying feelings of suffocation. You are a good partner.

10. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

My two daughters and I get this too...in some parts of the world it is called "Old Hag" because people believed someone was sent to torture them in the night by sitting on them...scary stuff to a youngster. There is a whole book about the folklore surrounding this by David Hufford. Apparently about 35% of any pop. will have these episodes, but how it is explained is very different between cultures and countries.

I do the wiggling thing and try to sleep on my side if I seem to be having a lot of episodes...they tapered off in the past few years.

Off to google gliadin!

11. tweety

tweety New Member

So I also noticed sleeping on my side helped. Why is that do you all think? And why is it triggered by something like benadryl or in my case, anesthetic?

If I ever get them again I will try wiggling my toes.

12. tweety

tweety New Member

well I googled "Old Hag" and sure enough they confirmed the same things that were said here. No explanation as to why, but sleeping face up is more likely to cause it. And they also cited stress as an indicator.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Acetyle choline is the reason why. Benedryl and general anesthetics decrease acetyle choline in the brain and this causes hypoperfusion in all places but the area that is most often affected is Ammon's Horn and the hypothalamus.....Sleep, memory, and auditory relays.........all very sensitive to O2 loss.

14. I had this problem for years. I used to think a giant spider was descending on my face. 100% caused by sleeping on your back, which cause o2 deprivation. Now that I have decreased inflammation, I find that I am able to sleep on my back and havent had the terror in years.

15. tweety

tweety New Member

Wow! Thank you! You know I went to neurologists and they had no idea what was going on. But what you explained makes so much sense.

Now what about the atypical gliadin?

16. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

This is so fascinating - thanks for all the responses. He tells me he heard of the "wiggle your toes" trick but cant remember it when he's in the moment. He doesnt take benedryl or any meds so i'm not sure what to think

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

tweety read wheat belly to get how it penetrates the BBB......but alpha gliadin first destroy zonulin and then assaults the brain......it is part of my current series but I am just beginning it today

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

If you have a gluten problem the bad stuff crosses the BBB when you eat it?? Did I get that right?

19. tweety

tweety New Member

Again, wow. Amazing what wheat can do. I thought thats what you meant when you said gliadin, but it still floors me to have yet another issue connected to this. And my family still thinks I am absolutely nuts about my anti wheat attitude. My migraine suffering, hormone whacked, pituitary damaged family thinks I am crazy for giving up grains!

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yes......youre brain is already getting better because your gut is trying to enslave it. LOL