1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sleep and Stress

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by QiGuy1997, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Inger

Inger Silver

Ok, I can offer only my own N=1

I feel just better when I eat earlier in the day than later... Like yesterday, I had my last meal at 3 PM, just fresh cooked grassfed beef tongue plain.. for dessert a few squares of 100% organic chocolate. No extra fat added, very simple meal. I went to bed at 10:30 PM, late for me but I wanted to listen to the magnetico webinar. I did not get hungry at all all evening long. I slept like a baby. When I woke up I just felt so good I thought I am in Nirvana lol. It was like all my cells were laughing, or playing music! The feeling was especially strong in my abdominal/heart area. But also in the whole body.. I just wanted to be in bed forever.. haha it was so cool! I was not tired at all but I just felt so incredibly good.

I have tried to eat later too, like 7 PM but it does not feel good at all.....

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

me too Inger ..... 3:30pm is about right for me and I am never hungry later. Tonite I ate late - 7:00pm and I don't feel good at all - very weighted down and heavy.

I have to ask - was it just your cat in your bed??????? I got to get me some of that ......

3. Nick

Nick Gold

Interesting, I have changed my timing a lot in the last two weeks, I now eat a solid brekky that involves salmon at 5.15am, then have an early dinner at 4pm with the family with no lunch at all in between. I decided to skip lunch as I wasn't actually hungry, the food was healthy and tasty but i thought 'why am I eating if I aint hungry'? I now eat actually feeling hungry, which is so nice, I don't miss lunch one little bit and feel great going to sleep.

I always tried pretty successfully to have an early dinner in the past 5-6.30 isn but I couldn't jam in the 4 hour break before sleep which I knew wasn't optimal and like you Inger it never felt good and I always felt full. As an experiment I am really happy with how I feel and I am knocking off fat/bloating on my stomach pretty quickly. Don't know why I didn't try this a year ago, Doh!

4. Inger

Inger Silver

nope Audrey..hehe it was not my cat! Usually she sleeps by me but tonight she did not as the door to hubs rooms were open and she was there (they are usually closed as as he wants it warmer)

I was eating way less yesterday too... maybe it was that? I tend to eat way too much... just because I am used to. I also tend to eat if I feel sad or have stress. So I decided to not do it anymore and eat less just to see and that might have been part of the magic too?
    This is a very interesting journey, and the most exiting part is the experimenting how stuff work. I love that! There is always something one can do better.... challenges are fun :)

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yep - we certainly are a work in progress ..... I always feel so excited about everything here. When I met friends in Sydney yesterday for lunch I was pretty bored after awhile. I hadn't seen them for three years but our conversations just seemed kind of trivial. It was great to see them - but I have nothing in common with them anymore - sad in a way. Everyone is so overweight and they don't care - they only care about what kind of cake they are going to eat.
    To people it is normal to just keep getting fatter and fatter and more unhealthy as they age .... so they don't know what to make of me. I suspect they think I am an over achiever and am giving up so much - when the reality is the reverse and they sense that but don't know what to make of it.

6. Julie5

Julie5 New Member

Caroline, how long have you been following Jack's protocols? I know I am in this for the long haul, but it would sure be nice to see some changes come a little sooner. Like you, I spend time with friends, but it is all about food. I'd rather not go. I really need to convert some of my friends so I can have someone to talk to! most think I am nuts.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Julie! I stumbled upon Dr. K. when he first started posting in MDA and Paleohacks I guess ... maybe 3 years ago or more.

I am realising now, more and more, what has actually happened.

Of course I did all the things JK suggested .... the epi-paleo reset, C/T, blue blockers and no fake lite, grounding etc.
    The testing and consults were huge because I was extremely deficient in pg and Dr. K. and a great Doc here helped me with that.

But, in the long run, it was everything and it just kept accumulating ....... and now I know ----TA DA .....
    my redox improved.
    My apologies to everyone - I feel like I keep saying the same things over and over....
    my life ..... I walk everywhere - I don't have a car
    I go to the ocean pretty much everyday and walk in the surf and swim in the rock pool
    I live in an old area with lots of trees and shrubs and flowers and birds. The ocean/beach is ringed with conifers.

well - this is my interpretation anyway ....need to have a convo with JK about this one day!

I have said this lately as well .......sort of an ah ha moment on my part. My friends notice all the huge changes - but I am beginning to realise that they think it is about what I have given up ...bread, cake, candy etc.
    They think of this as deprivation and can't wrap their head around what I have gained - even tho it is so obvious.

I think, in some ways, this is my fault because I have been very strict - and needed and wanted to be......but now I am lightening up a bit.

I notice them watching me and seeing incredible changes ..... so it up to me now to take it a step farther.....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    tellmisty and margor_j like this.
  8. Julie5

Julie5 New Member

Carolyn, thanks for this. I wish this journey was a straight line, but since we aren't perfect people,little in life is a straight line. I have struggled the last few days, even though I have kept up with the baths. The whole sleep issue is hard for me b/c I suffer with chronic back pain. I quit taking oxycodone b/c it didn't really help and made me woozy the next day. Also, I just have a hard time sleeping. I know it's my body's response to skewed hormones (all of them). It's been 6 months since I had extensive testing done, and it's time to see if there have been improvements. Without some positives, this can feel like a fruitless effort. But nothing else has worked, and Jack makes so much sense (at least what i can understand), that I won't give up.

I too have friends and family that think I'm nuts. Especially our chiropractor son who won't even look at Jack's stuff. We have determined we just won't talk about it. I have a supportive hubby, but he won't eat like me. So he fixes his own breakfast and lunch, and if he likes what I fixed for dinner (around 4:30) then he will eat it. If not, he pulls out a frozen burrito or 2.

I do have a question: I fell off the wagon one day last week, dietarily speaking. Does that effectively mean I am starting all over again?

Well, I'm off to bed.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

I guess it kinda does - but forget about it and move on .... what is the alternative? You likely knocked yourself out of ketosis - but depending how long you had been there .....you absolutely will get it back! no worries.......

it simply isn't worth the worry..... You will be just fine.... :) it isn't like you have done irreparable damage - it was only some food that accidently jumped in your mouth! Also, please remember - food is only 10%...

don't ever sweat the small stuff ..... You have a lot of living to do!

Hug all those wonderful grandkids of yours .....and think how sweet it will be when you turn your DH and chiropractor son around!

Take care of you.... x