1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum. After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum. Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis. Sorry for the Inconvenience, but we hope you understand that this is needed to prevent the community from being ridden with malicious users!

Simple Indian Style Shrimp

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by fitness@home, Feb 28, 2013.

1. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I have been fortunate to have much ethnic diversity in my workplace and have collected many recipes over the years. This one is simple and came from a gentleman whose grandfather was a chef at a large hotel in India. It was more of an appetizer but I use it for dinner.

-Raw shrimp, blot with paper towels to remove excess moisture
    - finely diced hot pepper (I use jalapeño), can control how hot the dish is by removing seeds
    - LIBERAL amounts of turmeric
    - ghee for sautéing

Sprinkle turmeric on shrimp and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Sauté finely diced pepper in ghee until softened and the add the shrimp to pan. The shrimp doesn't take long to cook.

I usually season the shrimp in the morning, so when I get home it's a very quick meal.
  2. diane

diane Gold

Thanks for sharing! I don't cook with turmeric enough - so thank you for the inspiration. :)
  3. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Thanks ... sounds good. But now it's BACK to the store because I forgot the turmeric the last 2 times I was there.
  4. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

This sounds yummy! Thanks. I love new recipes especially the simple ones.
  5. endless

endless Gold

I do this frequently....and I cook the shrimp very hot for just a couple of minutes so the turmeric gets a little crusty on the outside...mmmmmm.
  6. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Lucky me, Safeway had a sale on spices so I picked up TWO bottles of turmeric and got my onion powder for free. Now I need to thaw some shrimp. can't wait to try this.
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have been doing this for ages too. I put tumeric on everything! I often toss some toasted coconut thru at the last minute.
  8. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple Silver

This was good thank you! I switched up the ghee for olive oil too maximize DHA, a side of mackeral aburi raw in the middle and a liiltle cabbage to soak up the golden goodness left over.
    aburi.jpg
    Danco3636 and fitness@home like this.