1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sigh…….. I think I need a new hormone doctor

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by nicld, Jan 17, 2014.

1. nicld

nicld Gold

I went and saw him on Wednesday and he was a little bit helpful. He read my labs and noticed that I was low on magnesium which concerns me since I am on 3 forms of magnesium and the more expensive ones. I need to figure out how low magnesium relates to other hormones being off now.

My Albumin level (gm/dL) (main protein of plasma) is lower than the limits and not sure why. He asked if a ate protein and besides fat, that is the main food in my diet so it is not related to eating. Another one to figure out.

He said that it looks like I have some microplasma biofilms in my body since my M.pneumoniae Ab IgG and IgM came back positive. He suggested a supplement to try but I cannot remember but I need to dig deeper into what this is too. I need to find out why I have this which for me, means GI stool testing. I will be seeing which doctor to have it ordered from depending on if one ordering clinic gets a better discount than the other. I also showed Parvo antibodies (no current infection) and he is not sure how to deal with this either :(

And then there was the whole pregnenolone steal issue. I am 99% sure that I have this since my pregnenolone levels are in the basement, thyroid was low, dhea was low and Pg was low before supplementing. He had never really heard of this and when I described it, he was not really sure about it. He had nothing to offer me and did not think it was the adrenals even though I had told him about my crash many years ago and my years of compulsive exercise (which also stressed the adrenals). He did want to see me start exercising and see how I handle it. I am hesitant right now in this because if it is my adrenals that are wonky, wouldn't exercise make them work harder and be a less than ideal thing?

Basically, I think I have learned more than my doctor and he cannot longer help me if he does not really understand it and I get the feeling he really did not want to learn about it. He is not a bad doctor just not what I need right now.

Right now, I do not think that my GP would be able to help either since he did take a look at my tests and did not see the big picture of what was going on but he probably does not have the time to see the big picture since he is part of big medicine.

I have to do my melatonin test again this weekend and am still waiting for my 23 and me results. I will try getting the GI testing next week and then I think I should have enough information to see what the bleep is going on.

So, I will be patiently waiting for Dr. Tim to announce the plans for this year’s consults.

Oh and if anyone knows of a Dr Kruse protocol doctor in the Minneapolis MN area, let me know.

2. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

IIRC, magnesium is very difficult to measure through standard bloodwork.

The adrenals and thyroid are closedly linked. Thus, your intution about not exercising seems correct.

Low thyroid is often linked to adrenal issues. I would focus on the thyroid issue since other hormonal issues are difficult to resolve with thyroid and/or adrenal issues.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Nicole think about this: Sometimes, selecting a doctor who will at least work with you is better than not having a doctor to work with at all (especially if you want things paid for by your insurance company).

You can help educate him. and always follow your instincts - you know you best. tell him you worked out one day and felt like crap and keep on doing what works for you. if he runs labs and is willing to work with you... hang with him. you can always keep searching for another doc..... but for now you've got one that's at least working with you..

4. nicld

nicld Gold

My hormone doc is out of network so I pay all of his charges so he is not a real loss. I will try to work with my GP more since he is the one willing to run all of the tests that I have wanted. I at least have that going for me :)

5. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Nicole - I went through a few doctors before finding my current BHRT doctor.

Over time, I've learned which of my docs (Internist, Rheumatologist, or BHRT) to approach for the different labs I want. They have been agreeable to most of my requests.

I actually ordered the GI Effects myself and then got reimbursement through my FSA. It was well worth the cost.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yep - I totally agree with all the above... if we have a Doc that is at least willing to listen and order the labs we want/need - that is a great start. If you work with Dr. Tim does your insurance cover that?

7. nicld

nicld Gold

I think if I get consult with him soon, I have some money up front that might be able to be used. Other wise I am pretty sure that he is an out of network provider and insurance will not pay once the company provided HSA dollars are gone. I made sure to take the max out in flex spending this year so at least I can use pretax dollars.

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am assuming that your steroid and thyroid hormones are in good shape now.

You may want to ask your doc about the areas that he should be able to help you with.

Consider checking and correcting:

Micronutrients using Spectracell analysis (cash $350)
    and
    Fatty Acids using LabCorp's
    Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum (insurance should cover)

http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?6427-PG-E2-ratio&p=81508&viewfull=1#post81508

9. nicld

nicld Gold

Some are better but not optimal yet. The last set of test showed that the pregnenalone was only 15 when optimal is over 180 and my Pg/e2 ratio is only 88 which is better than the 38 it was in July.

I did ask the hormone doc is there was any other tests that he would recommend and he did not have any suggestions which led me to the conclusion that I need to move on. I am going to try and have a consult with Dr. Tim.

I will look into the other tests, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  10. MsYo

MsYo Silver

Having a doctor that is willing to work with you is better than one that won't. I have a primary doc that started me on BHRT while I was researching other doctors. I was on a 6month waiting list to see a new MD that specilized in natural medicine as well as MD. It is a slow process, but 6 months later I'm improving. I am hypo/adrenal fatigue and a former endurance runner. I started exercising but it is mainly strength training (I lift heavy) and I limit my cardio (for now). I added pregnenolone (300mgs) and DHEA. I also take cytozyme AD. Create a partnership with your doctor until you find a new one.

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

If you want, post all available tests, and I will take a look at them.
    Look also my posts on this thread, may give you some idea.
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/#post81508

Better yet,
    you have already said that your
    DHEAs, pregnenolone and progesterone are low.
    Lets atm concentrate on just those three.
    Eat two pills, one pill of each type (preg & DHEA) at wakeup, get blood testing on day 2-4 of your cycle, but have to be at least one month+ from the time you start those pills.
    Test the three above and cortisol, preferably at LabCorp.

Nutricology/ Allergy Research Group Pregnenolone Micronized Lipid Matrix 150mg
    http://www.amazon.com/Pregnenolone-Nutricology-Allergy-Research-Tabs/dp/B003PWJFJW/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391627253&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=pegnenolone 150

Allergy Research Group - Dhea 50 Mg Micronized Lipid Matrix 60 Scored Tablets
    http://www.amazon.com/Allergy-Research-Group-Micronized-Tablets/dp/B004BZJCCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391627349&sr=8-1&keywords=allergy DHEA 50

1 ------- Pregnenolone, Mass Spectrometry--Test Number: 140707 CPT Code: 84140
    4 ------- Progesterone--Test Number: 004317 CPT Code: 84144
    5 ------- Cortisol, Free, Serum, With CBG (Endocrine Sciences) Test Number: 500440 CPT Code: 82533; 84449
    6 ------- Cortisol, AM & PM Test Number: 104000 CPT Code: 82533(x2) (7:30AM, 12PM)
    8 ------- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Sulfate--Test Number: 004020 CPT Code: 82627

Post results on this thread, let me know when ready.