1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Side effects of DHEA/Pregnenolone

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by BJK77, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Melinda

Melinda New Member

Dr. K's DHEA blog says it supports the immune system. Maybe waking yours up is starting a war and you have battle fatigue.

2. janagram

janagram New Member

lol, yeah...

3. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I think I read it is better to take pregnenolone in the morning. How long have you been using pregnenolone and Dhea?

4. janagram

janagram New Member

Been taking it for about 3 weeks....small doses, but I'm 64...don't expect to become 20 again...but need sleep (hopefully at night)..thanks for any thoughts.

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I've been on only pregnelonone for 3 days. First, I felt very good and then, not so good last night. My heart was going crazy. I only took 7 mg this morning. We shall see....

6. msclman

msclman New Member

on armour and dhea. i had been very edgy and moody and had a couple explosions. it hasnt happened for a bit so i think im cool now

7. Holly

Holly New Member

I am a 48 year perimenopausal woman without any medical problems that I know of. I have not had my hormones tested, but have taken experimented with DHEA, 7keto DHEA and pregnenolone. Hoping to improve sleep at night and mental acuity during the day. I have to say I don't notice anything with 25 mg of 7 keto. However, after just a few days of regular DHEA, insomnia became much worse, so I stopped that. I have 25 mg sublingual pregnenolone which I started with only 1/2 tab. Definitely improves mental acuity and energy, but after only 3 days, caused a near panic attack (which I have never had before). I dropped down to only 1/4 tab (around 6mg). It seems to help with energy during the day. I am wondering if this "energy" I feel is just pregnenolone being shunted to cortisol as per the hormonal cascade http://huntforwellness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Steroid-Hormone-Synthesis.jpg Also I wonder if these hormones all act on a negative feedback system ie does supplementing suppress our own endogenous production of these hormones? If so, would it not be better to "pulse dose" the hormone supplements so we don't encourage our bodies to down regulate its own production?

8. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I am taking DHEA according to labs. According to my labs I had almost no DHEA circulating in my body. So I started at 200 mg and am getting ready to take it up to 400 mg (raising it 100mg a week). Only have positive effects from it so far.

9. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I was just going to post a question and ask others how high they've gone with DHEA. I know in my consult Dr. K suggested I supplement 150-200 mg and when I first reached this point I definitely had some positive effects, but it seems like things have died down now and I'm wondering if I need to go even higher.

Glamazon - what brand/type of DHEA are you taking? I use a micronized pure powder that I take sublingually, so I'm assuming it's a very bioavailable, active form which scares me a bit to go too high.

Christina Gagnon likes this.
  10. janagram

janagram New Member

so...why am I taking preg before bed? I got the idea it would help me sleep....is this correct?

11. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

Before I knew about the micronized powder and such i just ordered the housebrand from Vitacost.com. I still have some left but when that is gone, which is oral capsules, I probably will switch over to the powder. It is pretty cheap compared to the powder. I will be 55 next month and have been without a menses for almost 3 years.

He suggested on my consult to start with 200mg. I am going to keep going up until I get adverse symptoms. In the meantime I am on the hunt for an anti-aging doc locally. He strongly, emphatically emphasized I needed a local physician partner. Since I live in Denver there is at least 5 I can check out.

I just wanted to add I was a little bitchy and jittery on the onset of the 200 but it went away in a couple of days. It has helped with my sleep, overall great increase in my well being and feeling much more energized. My skin is looking and feeling amazing. This crepey part on my neck is gone. Woo hoo!

I will add that I am on the 30 day seafood challenge and take 1000mg of krill a day which really helped with skin and well being but these changes are since I added the DHEA.

12. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I re-listened to the latest webinar again on bioidenticals. O.M.G. that is so full of gold. So he emphatically stated that low DHEA=leaky gut. Also get the hormones fixed or nothing else will help you get optimal. It wont stick or work like it should. He did say CT will raise DHEA levels but I am one of those broken people who have to get other things fixed before I can do the leptin reset or CT. I can certainly seeing why. Again, did I tell you how important he said it was for me to have local doc partner? ;)

seanb4 likes this.
  13. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Thanks Glamazon! Yea, he totally stressed low DHEA=leaky gut during my consult too. I did notice a great improvement in energy when I first increased it to 200 mg, so I guess I'll just keep upping it again until I get that great feeling back. I have an appointment on Friday with a semi-local anti-aging doc - about a 2-hour drive, can't find anyone closer than that. He seems pretty decent though and seems to know his stuff, so hopefully it will be worth it.

I've been doing CT since mid-February and had some good benefits from it, but lately it's been getting a bit difficult and I'm not sure what's going on. Pretty certain it's related to hormones, but that just makes it a bit more frustrating since I really thought I'd be seeing improvements with the changes I've made and not going backwards.

Do you take your DHEA all in one dose or split it up throughout the day?

14. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

i take it about 10 in the am.

15. diane

diane Gold

I just started taking DHEA last week as mine was low as well in my labs. Almost right away my head felt clearer,I wasn't as hungry. And for the first time in a very long time, I don't feel like I need a coffee to get myself going in the morning. I didn't change anything else last week - have added other supplements and seafood in the previous weeks, so unless it's all just kicking in! My sleep is a bit better (the sleep mask helps for that too), but I do still wake up some nights. But I feel so much better the next day, unlike before.

Has anyone else felt like this on DHEA - or is the placebo effect. LOL.

16. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I believe it is improving my sleep. I started a couple of weeks ago.

17. Adria

Adria New Member

I decided to try a small dose of 5mg due to my allergic condition. Immediately I had symptoms of high DHEA with scary heart palpitations, was hot all night then the next day woke up with acne! Lesson learned, never again without prior blood tests.

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Does anyone know - I have a trashed hormone panel -Dr. K's words - should I be doing C/T? I take cold showers but find it really hard to get into an icy tub now. I was okay doing the baths before. I forgot to ask Dr. K. about C/T. I don't know if I should just push thru it. I have been jumping in the ocean tho - it is around 60' I think. I have noticed lately I start shivering after about 30 minutes in the water which surprises me. I am in Oz - so spring here.

19. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I experienced the same. I was doing much better with CT during wintertime than during summertime which was surprising to me, You would expect the opposite. Winter is coming here, I'll see how it goes.

20. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I'm sure it's all dependent on context, but I can say for me C/T is absolutely killer. Totally painful. I've been doing it for 8 months now and still struggle with it BIG time. It's all related to my super low T3 and I've been told to just push through it - the more, the better.