1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

short chain fatty acids

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by chocolate, May 27, 2012.

1. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/61/2/364

Short-Chain Fatty Acids Stimulate Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Secretion via the G-Protein–Coupled Receptor FFAR2

Abstract

Interest in how the gut microbiome can influence the metabolic state of the host has recently heightened. One postulated link is bacterial fermentation of “indigestibleâ€￾ prebiotics to short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which in turn modulate the release of gut hormones controlling insulin release and appetite. We show here that SCFAs trigger secretion of the incretin hormone glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1 from mixed colonic cultures in vitro. Quantitative PCR revealed enriched expression of the SCFA receptors ffar2 (grp43) and ffar3 (gpr41) in GLP-1–secreting L cells, and consistent with the reported coupling of GPR43 to Gq signaling pathways, SCFAs raised cytosolic Ca2+ in L cells in primary culture. Mice lacking ffar2 or ffar3 exhibited reduced SCFA-triggered GLP-1 secretion in vitro and in vivo and a parallel impairment of glucose tolerance. These results highlight SCFAs and their receptors as potential targets for the treatment of diabetes.

2. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Short_chain_fatty_acids

DESCRIPTION

Short chain fatty acids are produced in the large bowel as a result of bacterial fermentation of soluble fibre. They can provide over 500 kcals a day of energy which is especially useful when blood sugar levels fall low because mitochondria like to use SCFAs as an energy source. At night we all switch to SCFAs as blood sugar levels fall and this prevents hypoglycaemia at night. Night-time hypoglycaemia is a common cause of disturbed sleep.

This test looks for a hypoglycaemic tendency by measuring levels of short chain fatty acids first thing in the morning before breakfast has been taken. The logic is that when there is hypoglycaemia, the body switches early to using short chain fatty acids for energy supply and these will then deplete. Therefore, low levels of short chain fatty acids indicate a hypoglycaemic tendency. Hypoglycaemia is a common problem for people with a fermenting gut, so the test may indirectly be pointing to a problem with yeast or bacterial overgrowth in the bowel.

Low levels of SCFAs may also be indicative of a low fibre diet. This can be helped by eating foods rich in fibre such as nuts, seeds and vegetables.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

SCFA=healthy .....SCFA become omega 3's in our gut.....specifically the colon. Providing your gut flora is normal!!! Butyric acid is the link.

4. chocolate

chocolate Silver

funny how fixing the gut detoxes heavy metals..... now if I could could just figure out the dirty tricks of the candida.... I read studies out of Finland and Ireland... the candida is antifungal resistant but not contagiously... you have your own special little micro-evolution... hostile yeast environment is all I can figure.... scfa are yeast hostile, biotin is , starchless is, raw garlic is, iodide is, lacto is, I'm thinking cilantro is and the B8.... anyone else got anything to throw to see what sticks?.

5. janagram

janagram New Member

so...everytime I take a probiotic I have symptoms of vaginal yeast for a day...then I stop taking it....so I don't know what would happen next...any ideas why?

6. Joann

Joann New Member

jan maybe its not yeast. maybe a good thing, good bacteria growing?

I have interesting cause and effects also. when I use estrogen on my arm I get vag yeast type symptoms. if I am totally keto diet it disappears.

7. janagram

janagram New Member

hmmm, thanks, joanna.