1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Shocked at Trifield Meter readings

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by BJK77, Mar 9, 2013.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

We have a smaller 25-gallon aquarium in my son's room and it is off the charts! Needless to say, the fishies are going bye-bye ASAP. We do cut the breakers in all the bedrooms at night already, which probably isn't even good to have the filter off for that amount of time, but I worry about him being in there at all during the day, so it just has to go.

2. endless

endless New Member

I'd love some input about how to ground this set-up...my poor snake has been well insulated for years and I'd love to get him grounded!

tn_2013-03-16 09.12.34.jpg

3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Okay, I have to ask...what kind of snake is that? Love your plants.

I used to have a pair of chameleons when I was in my 20s. Named the Rock & Roll :)

4. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it would be bad.

5. endless

endless New Member

He's a California King Snake. when he was small I would take him for 'walks' out on the grass, but he's too fast now, I'd lose him. I'm hoping the EMF from his enclosure is less than a fishtank would be. All that is plugged in is one 40w incandescant bulb and a heat mat. I'll have to get the meter again to know for sure.

Love Rock and Roll, great names! Mine is Fidel :p

6. SCRN2007

SCRN2007 SCRN2007

7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Endless, how about attaching a wire to a flat piece of smooth metal and just set it in the aquarium? If he likes it, he will lay on it.
    Otherwise, you could attach a grounding wire to a piece of metal screen or hardware cloth in the bottom, and put rock and such on top.
    Either way, you might want to have some wood in there so he can get away from the effect. I think at first the grounding can be a strong sensation, and he might want a break.

8. endless

endless New Member

That might work....I use bark mulch as his substrate and it's pretty dry so I think I'd have to try the metal plate. It will be an interesting experiment to see if his behavior changes at all!

9. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I just realized my vacuum is reading astronomically high on my trifield meter!! No wonder my hand always feels numb and tingly when I'm vacuuming . . .

I have a newer Dyson. Has anyone tested any other brands and found them to be low? Any thoughts on how we could protect ourselves while doing this chore? I have two dogs and the shedding requires vacuuming at least every other day. The free electrons I get from them will hopefully make up for the EMF hit ;) , but if I can do something to decrease the effect I'd love to hear it.

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

11. agatha

agatha New Member

Wow! You have the perfect excuse to vacuum less often. I would milk that instead of trying to find ways to make vacuuming safer!

12. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

DOH!!!
    Now why dint I think of that!

13. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Thanks NC! I hadn't seen those before. I wonder if they really work . . . maybe that's a good question for the EMF guy during the Q&A!

Ha! I wish ;) I'm too much of a clean freak, but maybe I can convince DH I need to hire someone to do it!

14. shilohman

shilohman New Member

You could try wearing a grounding strap while you vacuum, but that would be a real hassle and get in the way of the power cord. Maybe
    someone could invent a wireless grounding strap...Oops, never mind.

enyaw likes this.
  15. agatha

agatha New Member

Funny!.......

16. thrive1992

thrive1992 New Member

Did anyone follow through with purchasing the lessemf.com protective gloves?
    I am thinking of purchasing them and would like to hear some honest reviews