1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Shivering

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by nonchalant, Mar 20, 2012.

1. differentstory

differentstory New Member

That is so awesome! I was wondering why we were calling it "croak soak". :) I get it now.

So how are you doing?? Can you share any of your CT achievements? And how often do you do CT??

I feel like 90 percent of this forum is at the same place in their CT journey. Right now I am a crabby hormonal mess. I am hoping that goes away soon.

2. Croak

Croak New Member

I'm male, 47, 5'10"-ish, just at 270 pounds when I started doing CT sessions. I CT twice a day now, after breakfast, and after dinner, for half an hour in the mornings, and up to an hour (depending on how good my book is) at night. Cold water out of the tap is around 42F.

I started with my water in the 55F range, and tried just climbing in the first day. I discovered the first benefit of CT right then and there...I can jump a lot higher than I thought. Sadly, the landing wasn't as well executed. So that's why I came up with the "boil a frog" method. :) I did that for the first couple weeks. Never mucked around with ice packs.

Now, I simply fill the tub with straight cold water, climb in, grab the Kindle and relax. I keep my hands and most of my arms dry but my feet in the water. I have a standard modern tub (i.e. too damned small), so my lower body is covered, and I slouch enough to get my most of my back in the water, knees peeking out. For the first minute or so, my lower legs and feet are painful, but it's not excruciating.

Weight loss is proceeding, about 2 pounds per week on average (was 255 this morning), and I'm not doing any painful calorie restriction, though I'm certainly eating below maintenance, and ketogenic.

Body comp has visibly improved as well. And the reason I keep my feet in the water is to soak my shin areas, which had horrible pitting edema that has very nearly cleared up. The pain from walking that caused the edema (or associated with it) has also almost completely gone.

Once out of the tub in the evening, it takes me a couple hours to fully warm up (and this is the point where trying to sleep is futile), but there's really no discomfort during this period, just cold skin. Shivering during or after the soak is rare and quick these days, even though I'm doing longer soaks in colder water, and my skin temp is for sure getting down below 55F.

I get dressed and walk to work not long after my morning soak (which is filling now, btw) and by the time I've walked the 20-25 minutes to the office, my soaked areas are close to normal temp, thanks to being covered and the exercise, even though it's 30-40F outside.

3. differentstory

differentstory New Member

Thank you so much for the post!!!! That totally made my day. :)

Just had to say too that I was sitting in the doctor's office waiting to have labwork when I saw your post. Unfortunately, I laughed before I could stop myself and then other patients started looking at me funny.

So nice that you can walk to work!

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I'm so tickled, I just had to change my name. This is Sally, now officially Nonchalant. :)

I woke up a bit early this morning, and I was thinking about CT. I was trying to figure out why I look forward to my cold baths. I know some don't. Maybe it was because I started with warmer water? Anyway, the baths seem to give me a psychological lift. It's subtle, so I'm really not sure. But I think about my next bath quite often, and prepare gladly for it. Stepping into the water feels just like stepping into a pool, in the middle of summer. Cold, but thrilling.

Anyway, I was still in bed, thinking about the baths, when my left thigh began to gently shiver/tremble. So strange! I wasn't the least bit chilled. It continued, until that knee and hip and even up into my back was shivering. So neat!! I was smiling big time, there with my sleep mask on. My right knee joined in for a very short time, but it all subsided within 30 minutes. A few minutes later, I was tossing aside the sheet that had been covering me.

Go BAT, go!! I just couldn't wait to start my day today!

I'm only up to 35 minutes, at 50-55F. The last 3 baths have been at 35 minutes, guess I'll go for 40 next time.

5. Mikey7

Mikey7 New Member

Felt good today! 50 minutes and after that I usually shiver a lot but not today! I know its not a linear process but it feels good not shiver like a mad man.