1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Shamir Blue Zero

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Saichi, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Yesterday I received a $140 custom pair of Shamir Blue Zero plaino Trivex lenses which says it blocks up to 98% of HEV blue from 415 to 435nm. There's absolutely no tint on them and instead of removing blue like my cheap Amazon daytime and nighttime blue blockers, they slightly increase the blue I see wearing them.

Here's their website page: https://www.shamirlens.com/products/materials-products?tab=120

Anyone have experience with these? Did I just get scammed by fraudulent marketing?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Melanopsin window is 435 - 465 nm so why in the hell would you want those glasses? The blue light hazard window is the critical issue

3. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

HEV light is high energy visible light which means they only block frequencies between 400 and 450nm. Shamir Blue Zero™Polycarbonate blocks up to 50% HEV blue light in the 415nm - 435nm range.

So they tell you that they do not block all frequencies. So no deception here.They do tell you about the extent of the blue light spectrum on the same page where I took the statement from. With all glasses that purport to be blueblockers you have to check the range of frequencies they block. There is no industry standard.

These kind of Blueblockers are for day use. The orange ones are for night use. What was your intended use for the glasses?

4. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Laughing at myself now. The professional conventional optometrist said I didn't have to wear the dark amber blue blockers at night if I got these clear Trivex 98% blockers. She also said if I got pulled over at night driving wearing my dark amber "sunglasses" could get ticketed.

Returning them today!

5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Ah with the driving she may be correct. The darker the tint the less light enters which is what we want. Driving through an area with little light though gets dicey. I would not wear them for night driving and rather avoid that sport altogether.

HAng on before you return them. What do you do ? Are you in front of a PC all day ? They might serve you for day use indoors when indoor light gets filtered by the window panes (strips off UV and IR) . I use the same type right now with IRIS on my PC as I am working indoors.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I'd return them ASAP.........

Lahelada, Saichi and Solidsilverteeth like this.
  7. Solidsilverteeth

Solidsilverteeth New Member

Here are my blue blockers. Cheap online.

I wear them after sunset, with a hoodie. They cover the pineal gland and don't let any blue light in the sides.

8. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Going to return them in a few minutes, the company says it blocks "harmful" UVA/B in their product video so I should've known better in the first place.

SST, I actually like to get a pair like you have for my mother to put over her small prescription glasses at night as temporary quick fix. I've been searching for awhile now but can't find them online, mind linking me? TIA.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Solidsilverteeth likes this.
  9. Solidsilverteeth

10. Saichi

Saichi New Member

My optometrist called around a few labs and was able to get me another option. I think the BluTech Max will be fine for daytime use:

[​IMG]

11. Emma C

Emma C Titanium

Why not use Ra Optics?

12. Saichi

Saichi New Member

I prefer metal frames and their only model the Wallace is probably too small for my big face. BluTech just provides the lenses so you can get them custom fit to any frame you want. Since I'm always going to be wearing them during the day excluding sunrise/sunset and cloudy days I want to be comfortable in them. I do like some of the upcoming models of BluBlox for nighttime use but I have to put function over style first so went with more eye coverage with these BluBlockers on Amazon:

[​IMG]

13. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Just got the $80 BluBlockers above and they barely block any blue at all. I have another pair same company in ugly thick white plastic aviator frames which were only $30 but do block blue though.

14. Solidsilverteeth

Saichi likes this.
  15. Saichi

Saichi New Member