1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Serotonin and not Zero carbing in winter? How?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by lilreddgirl, Sep 17, 2015.

1. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

I noticed I felt angry/moody without carb - LOW carb flu - when eating a strict Epi-Paleo RX zero carbs. So over summer I added something sweet to each meal and this took care of issue (this is all pre-psychotic break). But it was severe without. Now that winter is coming, what do I eat with my meals to keep up my Serotonin? I guess tablespoon of straight honey might not work for winter...

Please answer! this is very important for me to know how to keep up my diet through the winter. Am CTing...

2. louise

louise New Member

we should be eating some carbs in summer e.g greens, berries or whatever grows locally
    I struggled with zero carb last winter and fell on and off the wagon many times but you gotta keep trying....... the bigger the BAB I find helps me but that's what works for me and only eating the green veg rather than other higher carby stuff.

3. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

thank you louise - my problem is that I didn't fall off the bandwagon but missing out on carbs (which I did through summer and fall too) was making me feel angry and moody. I will keep with the suggestion to just use greens during the winter and hope that can carry me through.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You need UV IR AM light to make it work.........everyday in every sunrise.

rlee314 likes this.
  5. Joe Gavin

Joe Gavin Face Everything And Rise

Mushrooms and onions are circadian and gut friendly. I found that using a bit more salt in winter helped with Keto-flu. As well as some extra electrolytes in the form of something called Electro-Mix (just add to water). Of course hydrate the hell out of yourself, and get outside as Jack and all of us suggest.

6. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

YES! so thrilled for an answer. thank you Jack and Joe - I will be going for the UV in the Sunrise. I usually catch sun starting about 1 hour past sunrise but will work my wake times back to catch the actual sunrise

Joe the onions and mushroom idea thank you ! I'm getting it, it's not sweet -> carb - > serotonin it's just veggies -> serotonin in general. when I zero carbed I had dropped veggies out all the way. thank you for the Electro-mix heads up

Jack thank you for not giving up on me. Talked to dad today about SmartMeter removal.

Is 100% cocoa chocolate circadian through the winter?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Joe Gavin likes this.
  7. Joe Gavin

Joe Gavin Face Everything And Rise

You're welcome and good luck! Anything over 85% cacao is good. I eat a bar a day.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  8. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Still low carb fluing and losing weight :( would it be ok for me to add in sweet potatoes here in the fall? How do I gain some weight and stop feeling so empty tummied and with no appetite... as long as I've kept low carb I stayed VERY thin, and gained weight and felt better when the past month in the hospital and after was on meds and 'regular' carb food...

I do not want to be so thin... my face is getting drawn... I'm up looking at the light in the morning too... and in the summer times I sunbathe for hours...

lilly antic likes this.
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

As long as UV is present youre OK

lilreddgirl likes this.
  10. I would LOVE to be VERY thin in summer... sigh ....:)...
    If the carbs electrons, which carry UV light frequency, are accompanied with real UV signal, it is OK
    I observed that with lots of AM sun the carb (and food in general) craving stops-and mood is uplifted. So now we just have to practice that through winter, preferably after CTing.

Joe Gavin and caroline like this.
  11. hmmmm...
    Resveratrol increases SIRt 1 . UV light is an excellent way to raise NAD+. Sit1 and NAD+ need each other to work optimally.
    Also resveratrol improves dramatically the gut microbiome. Somewhere there might be the connection...have to ponder that a little more...

thisbirdhaswings and Joe Gavin like this.
  12. wine webinar came out today, I am sure we will find an answer there... I am off to listen...

13. Thisbirdhaswings, have a listen to the webinar. It's fantastic! This is entanglement, as the answer to your question is in there, presented the same day you asked it.... I love it! :love::)

thisbirdhaswings likes this.
  14. what a happy cute family...:)

thisbirdhaswings likes this.
  15. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thank you Jack. I added sweet potatoes. It's difficult as I have no cravings for them, I notice have no appetite (I used BAB to bring myself out of anorexia in 2014 and had appetite while doing Leptin Rx then) but nausea while eating seems better now that I remembered to add in eating a pickle. I'm looking at the sun in the morning. I'm now going to CT in bath.

I've started waking early before sunrise, sometimes probably hours before - unfortunately. Should I eat before sunrise? Is this a sign possible I've gone back leptin resistant and should start having a Leptin RX breakfast of 50+ g protein rather than the 24+ g protein?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015