1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Septoplasty preparation

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by enyaw, Aug 7, 2021.

1. enyaw

enyaw Gold

I'm having a septoplasty next month to fix a deviated septum. What prep work should I do in the days/weeks before the procedure and what should I do following? Are face dunks okay before and after? Intranasal red light?

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I had all kinds of colds, heavy (green) (chunky) mucus, flues, infections, until after college. I was working then repairing chemical installations.
    At about 26 yo I had my deviated septum done.
    It was supposed to be the same day, in and out of surgery.
    Ended staying in the hospital bed for a week. No room was scheduled for me, my bed was in the corridor.
    About a week later I went back to get out the packing.
    About another week later went back to work.
    A couple of days later I realized that I do not have a sense of smell. Nobody warned me about that possibility.
    Not pretty when I was in close proximation of open old chlorine and ammonia installations, that my peoples repaired.
    How I have not got into trouble then, still not sure. But I am usually lucky.

That was in Poland.
    In the USA, my daughter had problems that I recognized. She had deviated septum.
    She had to suffer until she stopped growing.
    Her surgery went rather uneventful (easy for me to say).
    Definitely much fewer infections after surgery.
    I discovered problems with my sense of smell when I realized that I do not smell aftershave.
    I rarely use aftershave, this time I did.