1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Self Medicating with HC

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by BJK77, Jun 22, 2012.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Looking for input on best type and suggested starting dose for HC. Unfortunately my doctor will not budge at all on the HC issue. His concern is that too many patients have become dependent on it and not able to wean off the HC. Based on some feedback I got from Dr. K I think I need to at least give a small dose a try.

I was given this site as a possibility for ordering it without a prescription: http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/search.aspx?SearchTerm=hydrocortisone

For those of you who are on it, which type are you taking? Cream/pills? Have you experienced any side effects? Benefits? Thanks!

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I started on Isocort and it messed with my stomach (lactose intolerant). Then switched to bio-identical HC and that went much better. Interestingly, after a short bit of time I did pretty well then not so much. I have been on it for 2.5 months and am now trying to wean off of it for some tests to see if my pituitary if functioning properly. 2nd week of down-dosing and I am crashing. I did pretty well the first week but the last couple of days after dropping it further I am not doing so well. I really want CT to work but now not so sure that is enough. I also gained 5 lbs in that time and that is another reason I don't want to be on it. My mood hasn't been great all week either. I started with 32.5 then dropped to 22.5 and now to a total of 10 mg for the day. I wish you luck.

3. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

if you are going to self dose with HC you may want to join the Yahoo adrenal fatigue group run by Val (same owner as the RT3 group) they are very experienced at self treat on and off HC

4. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks Colleen for the input. I might join just to get more info. I am not self-dosing but I would like more info anyway. Depending how bad I crash, I might go back on it (but a smaller dose if I can) after the tests. I really would like another salivary assay done to see where things are before I treat again though

5. zoebarry@yahoo.com

zoebarry@yahoo.com New Member

My saliva test last year revealed my cortisol levels were almost flat lined throughout the day. My doctor prescribed 5mg Cortef.

Within 3 days of taking it I stated to gain weight, probably water weight but it freaked me out. I stopped taking it and the next time I saw my doc, she told me to try taking half a pill. Tried that, but still gained weight, so I stopped taking it altogether.

At my last appointment in May, I told my doc I wasn't taking it anymore and she was okay with that. I have been eating paleo style for a year now, doing the LRx since January and feel so much better anyway, so I don't think I need anymore. I used HATE getting out of bed in the morning and would sleep in to 9-10am on the weekends. I noticed during this last two weeks that I don't feel the need to sleep in on the weekends anymore. In fact, I'm getting up around 6am but lounging in bed until 7am and feel good.

So in short, I think it just takes time to heal those adrenals, but I don't think it's necessary to take HC, but Dr. K can give you the definitive answer.

Grace

6. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

If you are crashing, I would recommend going a little slower. On the other hand, I have found CT to be a great step in for tired adrenals, especially if you are just trying to push through and get off the HC so you can do the ASI. Mine are crashing right now due to low thyroid dose, and the CT really obliterates the bulk of the symptoms, at least for a few hours. Meanwhile, I am raising my Armour. I keep the tub filled, and some days I am in there 3-4 times for 20ish minutes (until kids are declaring war downstairs!).

I originally got off too because I was concerned the HC was causing my runaway weight gain. I found out that it wasn't. Inflammatory foods were doing it, and there are a lot of them for me.

7. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Also, after I got off the HC and did my ASI, I started taking rhodiola and ashwandgatha (sp?). I found they both gave some relief in 3ish weeks time of daily dosing. Not sure what your labs look like though...

8. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I believe I have dropped a lb. or 2 this past week since cutting the dose. I'm pretty sure that was it. My experience has been that I have been eating this way for a year and was primal 2 years before that.

How warm does your water get by leaving it in the tub? I would think it would get very warm like 70ish. I suppose that might still be good enough for an evening soak. Do you add ice at that point?

I hear ya on CT. It is helping. I am tired by 9 and in bed by 9:30 usually at the latest and wake between 5 & 6 everyday. Getting out of bed is not a problem at all. Since I have been on DHEA and preg. my sleep is so much better now. CT has probably helped with this too. I am warm all the time now too. I run the air in the car on 60 and it doesn't feel very cold to me. My dh says I am warmer for sure. Something is working. Now if I could only get the mood in line. I'm sure the af is affecting my mood. Seems like now that is my biggest problem. It does not take much to set me off and I have a hard time swinging it back to positive. I know it is hormonal, etc. cuz I am not like this everyday. But, according to Dr. K, gotta work on 1 thing at a time. In my case, I have to check the gut out completely. Then the adrenals, etc.

BJK77 -I would be careful self-dosing and keep a journal. Also, might want to keep a journal and not change anything else for a while. You have to know what is doing what. So don't add supps, change diet, etc. for at least a few weeks to be able to pinpoint any changes happening. I wish I would have realized how much weight I gained but just didn't pay attn. to it and I don't own a scale. You can buy Isocort over the net easily. Read the label though. It is cheap compared to what I pay for Bio-HC. Glad to be going off of it for that reason alone. Ins. won't pay for it either.

9. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

We have well water, so it's about 54 degrees when the tub is first filled. But then if I want it to "keep" for longer, I add the cryopacs. I have lots of them. Large flat square ones about 1.5 inches thick. They cool it a little more of course, and it takes them some time to do so, and they also act a bit like an insulating blanket on top of the water, protecting it from the warmer air. The cryopacs don't effect the temp nearly at quickly as pure ice, but they don't go down the drain at the end, and the insulating thing is useful! By the later afternoon, the water might be 58ish degrees, which isn't optimal, but still works to raise my blood pressure and lower heartrate - basically normalize me. Then I take the kids out to the pool and sit in there. This week it's gotten really warm (pool is 81), but I find even that has a little bit of impact. The cooling vest doesn't seem to do it in any way that I can feel.