1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Searching the UK coast for great seafood destinations?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by CarolandNick, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Our trip to the Suffolk coast last weekend has inspired me to start this thread....
    We were in the South East collecting the second hand magnetico we found on line and wanted some sea air to make the day complete ;)
    A look at the map showed the small seaside town of Aldeburgh was around 40 mins away. What a gem!
    The best part for us was the row of traditional shacks on the beach selling fresh caught local seafood. We had a shellfish feast! Simply cooked cockles, langoustines and brown shrimp, but so memorable.
    IMG_5754.jpg
    In the North West, where we live, finding somewhere like this is a rare thing indeed. These traditional places have all but vanished.
    I would love to know where to visit when I have time off for the great combination of beach, sea and seafood.

To all the UK members - post your links to great places to visit around the coast of our tiny island where you have discovered fantastic seafood - so we can make a point of visiting and feasting!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Solidsilverteeth likes this.
  2. I have to post about this place, too.
    the-oyster-shed-1024x683.jpg

This is on the Isle of Skye, at Carbost and well worth a visit if you are in the North.

Solidsilverteeth, Anne V and drezy like this.
  3. mCroon DIablo

mCroon DIablo New Member

A lovely trip you had there. Not sure if this is something of a place I want to suggest but more of a service that has to do with seafood. I mean I can tell that you like to try new things so I figured I may put my thoughts in to place here. So in the category of seafood, I really enjoy caviar. It's one of my best dishes. Black Caviar to be specific. I've tried many in my time but one I will not yet forget. You can look into https://osetrus.com/page/faq for more answered questions. I personally loved it for the fact that the caviar is made into the classical malossol, a method historically reserved for the best-grade caviar. It's just a suggestion, thought I might share it with you

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  4. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Southwold also lovely over that way and lots and lots of seafood - also Mersea Island, although that is south of Colchester.

5. mCroon Diablo - this tip is really interesting. Thank you for adding it here. Whenever I have looked at caviar in the UK I have only found stuff that is poor quality and has additives in it. Consequently, it is something I haven't really tried. I have to say that it is a bit out of range for me to buy often, but I will have to get some of this to try. I know it has a really great nutritional profile from my wapf days. I was vegetarian for the first 20 years of my adult life and so I missed out on trying many things. Your experience is appreciated :thumbsup:

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I would love more of these posts .... we are going to be in the UK in September.

What about interesting places in Scotland and Ireland?

7. Caroline, which areas are you going to? The Oyster Shed linked to above in in a wonderful location on Skye with just fantastic views from the outside seating areas over The Cullin Mountains. We have a work associate in Ireland that producers oysters around County Wicklow and has an Oyster Bar in Dublin that he keeps inviting us over to - we've just not travelled over there yet...

caroline, Anne V and Solidsilverteeth like this.
  8. Solidsilverteeth

Solidsilverteeth New Member

Pembrokeshire in Wales is another great place for seafood. Tenby has been famous for the largest and best oysters in the world.

Not just oyster but many other high quality seafoods.

If anybody goes to Tenby they must come and try sleeping inside my beehive. Just an hour or two oxygenates your blood and rests your circadian rhythms.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

maybe we can meet you at the oyster bay in Dublin????

My DH has a very dear friend In Manchester so we will be staying there on and off I guess. We want to go to Ireland and Scotland and Iceland. We are on a very strict budget so not sure how much we can manage. We will also go to Barcelona in October - on the way home.

We were just talking about Wales this morning - Tony has never been. He immigrated to Australia almost 50 years ago.

We have tickets to see the Manchester City tribute game in Manchester on September 11th ...other than that we will be flying by the seat of our pants! which is quite normal for us!

Skye sounds wonderful.

10. Solidsilverteeth

Maybe plan for Wales in the future, I haven’t completed my bee well wellness centre yet.

Although we have one sleep inside a beehive pod set up, I want to have several more.

11. Michael CULLEN

Michael CULLEN New Member

Manc just went 5G.

Solidsilverteeth likes this.
  12. caroline

caroline Moderator

It is a very real issue ..... we could just stay home. The flights etc. etc. worry us ....but we love travelling. We will take as much care as we can and spend a lot of time in the country walking etc.

13. Solidsilverteeth

Take your socks off and ground your toe on the plane

14. Caroline, I doubt we will be able to make Dublin ;-(
    We live only about 30 miles south of Manchester... if you fancy dropping by you would be very welcome ...

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thankyou Carol and Nick. Where are you located? I think you have a shop?

What is the name of your friends oyster bar in Dublin? We will be in Dublin on Sept 3rd and 4th and then getting a car and touring around until the 10th. We will definitely need oysters after that long flight!

Have you travelled in Scotland much? So far we are leaning towards doing a pub and music and food crawl! We are thinking of Dingle and Galway and some points in-between.

16. @caroline - it's taken me ages to get back to you..... the perils of being a shopkeeper, maybe ....
    Our shop is based in a small town called Alsager, about 30 miles south of Manchester, but very close to the main north/south road - the M6 (junction 16, then 5 minute drive into town). If you are coming past it would be really cool to meet you. There are so few people around here who have any idea about what we are doing with light, water and magnetism, and although we talk to some of our customers about it, only a small portion are taking any steps to do their own research. It can be a lonely road.
    My connection to the oyster bar in Dublin is quite loose - I have met the guy a couple of times at WAPF events., he is lovely - really friendly :) He runs an oyster business that makes a dried oyster supplement that we sell. He is called Stephen Kavanagh and a part of his business is running an Irish oyster bar in Dublin's Temple Bar Farmer's Market, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, that happens every Saturday.
    As for travelling in Scotland - we love it! The Highlands, especially the West Coast and the islands off the coast are so beautiful. It is a place that makes the heart sing when the weather is good! To get hold of good seafood when you are traveling though can be a case of asking the locals because it can be a bit hidden - so much is just sold straight to the world market, rather than being available locally.
    We have travelled less in Ireland, but you can be assured of loads of bars with live music, it is a part of the Irish soul :)
    You must be very excited. Have a wonderful trip!

caroline likes this.
  17. 8Phoenix

8Phoenix New Member

Here is a place with Wonderful Nature

" Love is Nature way to give "

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

so sorry - I thought I had responded to you. Who knows - we may be able to stop by. it would be great to meet you too.

Can you pm me and tell me your open hours and when you are likely to be in the shop? also your address would be a good thing too!
    Thanks for all the info - we are so excited!