1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sean's very un-optimal Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by seanb4, Aug 15, 2013.

1. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Thanks sooperb!

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

I would love to go camping with you! two oldies milling about in the woods..........

3. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Anytime I can make it up your way Audrey, I will be sure to call in. Just the small matter of several thousand miles getting in the way :)

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Heck - what's a few miles between friends!

I hope that Sean is okay ... I worry about him....

5. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I'm okay caroline. I'm not going until next monday anyway.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

okay Sean - I can wait until next week to start worrying .......:)

7. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Haha or, you know, don't worry at all. I promise I won't die.

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

okay...... Are you feeling better? Have you been following Ricardo's posts?

9. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Feeling same as always. Not kept up with his post. Been catching up on the emf, quantum brain, and energy and epigenetics blogs.

10. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Okay I'm back, only lasted a day. Write about it in my actual journal so may as well just copy and paste it here:

Went camping on my own. Weather was cold, wet and rainy. The reason I did this was 2 fold, first I wanted to see the effects on my health. This proved not a very accurate test as I only did it for one day, wasn't grounded and added extra stress via hiking. The second reason was to test myself, to force myself to learn, and to be able to do this kind of thing independently in the future. This part was a success. I managed to travel far away, on my own, whilst in ill health, carrying heavy gear, hike a great distance, set up camp in an unfamiliar local, and survive a very cold and wet night. My will power was good, my decision making and mindset was good for the most part and I managed to learn a few key lessons.

I packed fishermans tent, winter sleeping bag, food, 4 litres water, books, head torch and other things. I wore 4 thermal shirts, a thermal jumper, a pilot jacket, a shower resistant parka, 2 pair long johns, thermal socks, and wellies.

Arrived then hiked for hours and miles looking for a camping location. Most areas unsuitable and it was getting dark. Decided to climb through barb wire fence and find a spot on this steep hill next to main road. Was too steep and wet to set up camp, got to top, stone wall with barb wire at top, decided that because the sun was going down I needed to find a place to camp quick. Hopped fence but it would be very difficult to get back over. Realised I was in a field with bulls (???), possibility that they could charge at me with horns and I was in no position to fight back, they could seriously hurt or kill me. Only options to escape were over the next wall into horses or more bulls. Bulls staring at me, chose bull one but further down so they couldn't see me. Was a lot of bulls in this one and the area was fairly large. Started to panic as I was in an area with potentially deadly animals, the sun was going down, there was no easy way out, and I was trespassing on somebodies land. Considered camping there but too risky with bulls, decided to think rationally and stop panicking. Looked for a way out. Decided to head toward the farmers house as there had to be a way out that way, and own up to my mistakes if necessary. This lead to a way out and the farmers house was a B&B and the public were allowed on the field I was on. Walked down long windey road to get out, was real dark now. Saw a place across river back were I came that had potential, it was my last shot. Got there and it was just a public walk area next to dam. Found a flat-ish place close to path on hill. Had to set up camp now because very dark.

Camp went up easy, sleeping bag was warm, not much room. Bit depressed because my stomach was pulsating massively again, looks like this experiment had not worked. Felt lonely, sad, and scared. Felt I was going to die fast and live a quarter of a life in that time because stomach problems. Decided to think rationally and make the most out of my life. I would learn quantum physics, bio-physics and other info from jacks site until I knew deep down how it all works. I would keep experimenting and fix myself using this whilst doing other positive things in my life. Even if it takes all my life to fix it, I will get that info out there so other people in a similar situation would know how. Felt better after this. Went to sleep around 7:30. Too cold to read books. Rain started coming down.

Woke up at 1 alarmed to find water was getting into my fisherman's shelter and through my sleeping bag. This was very bad as if my sleeping bag got wet inside it would lose all of it's thermal capabilities. Started panicking again as places for civilisation and shelter were many miles a way and everything would be closed. Calmed down again and began to think rationally. Packed up all the things I weren't using, deployed emergency sheet underneath me, and formulated a plan if things got worse. I would pack up the sleeping bag and tent as quick as I could then go back the way I came until I found the public toilet that I could use as shelter. Problem with that was it was very far away. I decided to stay and monitor the situation before I made decision. The rain let up a bit and so I decided to lay in the least wet positions and away from the walls (wet) and hope it wouldn't get any worse. Problem with this was that this new position I was laying in was very uncomfortable on my right leg joints, which were already hurting from the walking before. I could not move from this position however as there were cold wet patches everywhere. This pain kept me awake for hours until I positioned both my legs on top of my backpack, were they were straight/not uncomfortable, and out of the wet. Was pretty cold now but got some sleep until morning.

When morning came (8am) I felt a bit better with the sun out and it was less cold. Spent an hour having breakfast then relaxing/keeping warm. Packed tent away. Felt more energized. Walked slowly and painfully with a limp in my right leg for a few miles/hours and got bus home.

Things I learned:
    When panicking or scared always change that thinking to rational thoughts that help get you out of the situation. I did that twice when I was genuinely scared for my life and both times it helped me out and prevented me from doing something stupid due to panic.

The walls of tents get very wet, the bottom also gets wet, waterproof doesn't always mean water proof. A better thing than a fisherman's tent is needed for that climate. I got lucky that it didn't rain harder or was more windy else I would have been fucked.

Fenced off land is probably fenced off for a reason. Think about that first and don't put yourself in situations you can't get out of.

Need to know area's better before going. Find a camp-site early. Be close to a place you can bail out to.

11. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Sounds like you had a good stab at what you wanted to do but may have benefitted from a little better planning. The pop up tent may have been better than the shelter, more waterproof perhaps. You could invest in some Liquid Glass when you can afford it and use it on the shelter to make it more waterproof. Maybe borrow a copy of Bear Ghryll's or Ray Mears book from the library and borrow from their experiences. I'm so glad you survived even your one night (did you have a map of any sort of the area you were in?) but I'm sad that you are still suffering, in more ways than one. I don't think any learning experience is wasted though, you will have learned from how it went a bit more about what worked for you and what didn't. Better weather when it's not so cold would perhaps be more conducive to your experiment next time.

Maybe join the Youth Hostels Association and plan your next expedition on a route that takes you close to a hostel or two in case you need to bail, there are some pretty basic ones and some that are better equipped. There's also a scheme running where farmers rent out their barns on a nightly basis. Again, basic but better than being in the open when the weather turns. Somewhere like the places on this site: http://visittheyorkshiredales.co.uk/bunk-barns.php Some are dearer than others.

12. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I used to watch a ton of bear grylls, man woman wild, and survivor man. I actually got given a bear grylls book on my birthday a couple years ago.

Yeah when I do it again I will change 3 things. Use a waterproof tent instead of a fisherman s shelter, Be closer to somewhere I can bail to, and set up camp earlier.

Experience was definitely not wasted although it would be better to go on a dry day for my health experiments. Then I can walk around barefoot and sleep grounded.

Not sure I want to join an association, think if I plan my location better then that will solve that problem.

13. Inger

Inger Silver

Looks like you learned a ton Sean! Now you know how to do next time :D (those bulls sounded very scary!)

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am proud of you Sean ... you learned a lot about yourself. Not many people would do what you just did.

It sounds like this will be a great learning curve for you and fun to test yourself and your resolve and I bet it will be a load of fun when you get the proper equipement!

Now we just have to get you feeling better......

15. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Thanks caroline, have you read my stomach issues thread? I have a new idea what could be potentially causing my problems.

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yes I did read it - I think it sounds plausible ... maybe someone will have some ideas for you.... hopefully.

Don't give up and don't settle - you deserve to feel a lot better.

I applaud you for your diligence ... I am so sorry that I can't be of more help

Have you been following the stuff on redox potential?

17. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I haven't been following redox potential...

18. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold

Some tips passed to me by my BF...

When choosing a location for your tent, make sure it on an area of ground that's slightly elevated so that the water can drain away from the tent. It doesn't have to be very elevated, just enough for water to run away. He used to lay down on the ground looking for a lump of ground big enough for a tent.

He would also cut some bracken and heather to lay down underneath the tent, I think so it would be nice and soft and also for added rain protection.

People would laugh at all of this but they stopped laughing when their tents would be all soggy and his would still be nice and dry!

He also had experience herding cattle when he would visit family during the summer when he was a child. He says always take a stick when dealing with cattle. They'll do pretty much anything you want when you have a stick in your hand. This knowledge has come in very handy for his when camping as he'll use the stick to herd the cattle to the other side of the field.

One time a farmer put his cattle in a field where my BF was camping, probably on purpose just to be spiteful. Anyhow, my BF just found a stick and herded them well away from the tent, much to the farmer's dismay!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  19. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Some very good tips there HoneyChild. Will definitely put them to use next time!

20. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Update:
    I got a magnetico sleep pad, 10 gauss, single, about 1.5 weeks ago and have been sleeping on it since. Noticed a definite increase in energy, decrease in heart palpitations, better sleep (not waking up as much, hardly ever having to get up to pee) and sleep seems to have shortened by roughly an hour. So definitely worth it. As for the cost it was about £800 including shipping and taxes to the UK. A pretty heavy investment but like I said, so far, it's been definitely worth it.

It hasn't changed my stomach symptoms however but I didn't expect it to.

I have been trying to lower protein and up fat recently. The results are questionable. My stomach feels more full constantly so I am less able to drink water, I think I am more tired with this also however food volume seems to have dropped. When I look at the nutrition I am getting it's pretty low. I will give you an example of what I was eating yesterday and what happened. I had 75g Beef Dripping with a little bit of chicken breast and a fillet of mackerel for breakfast, some pork with 75g beef dripping for tea, and about 500ml of water in between (couldn't stomach any more). This left me with roughly 75g protein, the rest fat, and not a great nutritional profile. The really annoying thing was, about an hour after tea I could not keep awake. This was 7pm. I slept from 7 until 7, 12 hours. Absolute waste of a day. I didn't even do anything taxing, was on computer in morning, went to work for 4hrs, watched a short video then the rest of the day was gone. I normally have to sleep longer but it seems worse on days with more fat, maybe because my stomach has to do more work? Anyway I am going to keep at it to make sure it is fat that's causing the extra sleepiness. Maybe my body wants to make more ATP like lions or something, I don't know.

I went to the local GP as the last time I went to the dietician she agreed that we had tried everything and she no longer knew what to do. The GP asked me the same old questions and took my blood pressure which was too high for people of all ages. So know I'm going to the GP twice a week to get my blood pressure tested to make sure it's not an anomalous result.

I hope they don't think it's my high fat diet that's causing this. I am almost certain it is my stomach issues as whenever I consume anything I can feel my heart beat a lot harder. I guess that would register as high blood pressure.

I'm considering getting another 10 gauss sleep pad, in the future, to put on top of my current one and hopefully this will give me a bigger increase in energy.