1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sean's very un-optimal Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by seanb4, Aug 15, 2013.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

I keep pondering this raw thing for you.....Maybe if you were to buy a small piece of grassfed rump with lots of fat....

so - I think it is important to put it on a wooden board - not plastic etc. - wood breathes. Just let it sit for a week maybe - I am flying by the seat of my pants here .........as it sits - it kind of dries a bit. I wouldn't put salt on it either.

Did you read the thread? What do you think? what is your intuition telling you about this?

2. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Yeah I read the thread, it seemed to mainly talk about high meat though. Errm yeah I'm totally willing to go for it as long as I don't get any parasites/etc. If freezing kills them I should be okay but then again if you have a leaky gut does that not mean and pathogens are more likely to get through???

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

To me - by not cooking the meat - you aren't destroying the natural enzymes etc.

Have you had a look at the Weston A. Price foundation to see what they say?

But - if you think about it ....you can order carpaccio or steak tartare at a restaurant ..........

Why not try a little steak tartare? Just get a small piece of tenderloin. Do you eat sushi? maybe start there.
    Inger has a good recipes for both .... or treat yourself to lunch out?

I did try the high meat - and it scared the heck out of me ...the smell....I wound up throwing it out and now just do it the way I mentioned.

I used to have tummy issues - a lot of bloating etc.

4. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I actually do want to try the high meat thing but I'm almost certain I'll mess it up and die (lol).

I could only get sushi from supermarkets bundled with rice and even then that's not cheap, so not really an option.

Apparently steak tartare is served using raw mince, read somewhere you aren't meant to use mince raw?

I think I'm guna just have a piece of that defrosting lamb liver I have in the fridge and see how that goes...

How did you fix those tummy issues caroline? Was it just epi-paleo or did it take something more?

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

When you make steak tartare - you generally use a piece of tenderloin and chop by hand. No - you wouldn't use ground beef unless you ground it yourself
    Wow - you are going to start with lamb liver? ...brave boy!

Epi-paleo fixed my tummy issues [getting rid of grains was huge] but - the more I talk to you the more I realise that I have always had issues digesting beef - I always felt uncomfortable for a long time after - like it wasn't digesting properly.

The book on fermenting that I told you about - mentions high meat in passing - but he is not a fan ....has concerns.....

I think nonchalant makes high meat - or it might be seahorse ....can't remember for sure. Nonchalant is away for a week[I am pretty sure] so we can ask her next week :)

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I almost forgot ..... I have made tartare from lamb heart ....It isn't too bad .... but I personally find the taste pretty strong - but I do eat it. It certainly is cost effective!

I add in some chopped onions and fresh herbs and Balsamic vinegar and olive oil and chili peppers - whatever you fancy really......lots of black pepper and sea salt .... you can almost mask the taste :) can't wait to hear how you go ...

7. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

So you still have "beef" with beef? Does raw beef make a difference as in easier digestion?

"You can almost mask the taste" haha, not what I want to hear before trying raw offal but I have ate some foul tasting things in my time so it shouldn't be too bad.

When I ate lots of raw sauerkraut I saw improvements in hair quality however it had to be LOTs, like half a jar per day. Do you know if high meat is significantly more effective, bacteria wise, than sauerkraut?

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

No - I don't have any issues at all eating raw beef - I digest it extremely well - but once in a long while I will cook a steak rare and have digestive issues.

I don't know much about sauerkraut .....did you say you were making it yourself?

9. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Okay, thats promising about the beef.

I got it from the an online supplier, it was fresh, raw, and very expensive.

10. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Okay so I ate some raw lamb liver that had been in the freezer for months and was then defrosted over 3 days. Was okay, had to chew it a bit, taste was meh. I think I can move on to some other raw stuff now.

So why does raw stuff supposedly digest better? I thought cooking helped break up nutrients, etc. If it is because raw has its own enzymes then doesn't that mean freezing then eating raw defeats the purpose as freezing kills enzymes?

11. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Sean,

I have to use frozen grassfed beef hearts when making a batch of high meat. I buy at my local Farmer's Market and have a couple of them in the freezer right now. Just go with what you have available and don't stress over it.

Reading this thread has prompted me to take one out and put it into the fridge to thaw. Time to start another batch! This is one item that I don't have to worry about the family getting in to ;)

If you ever make some yourself and have any pets (dogs specifically) they will follow you around every time you air the jar. Our dog gets excited when he sees me get the jar out of the fridge. Of course I do occasionally share the finished product with him...

12. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Huh, I've heard high meat doesn't work with frozen meat. I guess I'll try to make one with my lamb liver.

How do you know if it's gone wrong?

13. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

For tea today I had a little raw lamb liver and a fillet and a bit of raw fish.

I noticed the food tasted very bland, I seemed to be satiated earlier, the protein was easy to chew, the fat was very chewy. Bloating feels roughly the same as normal for that volume of food but it is hard to tell.

Do people get used to the blandness? How do people go about tackling the fat because like I said, it was very chewy.

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

I usually add sea salt and fresh ground pepper and chili....I just love the fat from the rump steak ...not very chewy at all. I now rifle thru all the meat on the shelf at the grocery store and get the ones with the most fat! Most people avoid the fattier ones so they are always left for me!!!

I think that I mentioned - I need a lot less raw meat - satisfied with much less.

Do you not add fresh lemon or lime juice to your seafood? and fresh herbs etc.?

15. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Yeah I could try herbs, the fat was fish skin so maybe thats why it was chewy and difficult to eat.

Wouldn't acids like lemon damage the protein or something?

Had more raw liver and fish for breakfast. Liver tasted stronger this time but not in a pleasant way. Noticed no difference with bloating.

16. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

It wasn't raw lamb liver I was eating before it was raw lamb kidneys I think. Had some raw liver and that's more easy to stomach.

Started a batch of high meat with the old lamb kidneys. They've been frozen, then open in the fridge for a couple of days, and now I have transfered them into a jar and left them outside covered with a plastic bag. I figure if the main reason to do them in the fridge is to keep flies out then wont a plastic bag covering the jar outside be just as effective?
    Anyway aired them today, smelt a tiny bit but it was a jar that had sauerkraut in previously so it could be that.

Had a slight increase in shifts at work. The fatigue is way more noticeable. I get tired from just walking around the shop never mind up the stairs, my hearts constantly pounding out of my chest from the slightest exertion, I have to pause and take breaths mid sentence with customers, etc, it's awful. I ended up staying in bed for 12hrs and 11hrs respectively after back to back 4hr shifts, it's pathetic.

The reason I am saying this is because I got told by two separate members of staff today that I was doing fine at my job but needed to be more energetic with customers. So the main reason I might not get a permanent contract over the other temps is my energy. I am already using the little energy I have left to act like I am not tired all the time. I guess best bet is to smile more and just try to generate even more energy out of nowhere but it is annoying to get fucked over by my health which, despite my best efforts, seems out of my control.

Wow, looks like im being a winey bitch today...apologies.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I make high meat with frozen (local, grassfed) meat. Works fine. It should have a pleasant odor when you stir it, strong, but slightly sweet. If it smells bad or disgusting, toss it out! However, I had a batch that didn't get aired for a few days. The anerobic bacteria gained control, and it started smelling bad. I stirred it, and I suppose the aerobic bacteria gained back their control, and it smelled good the next day.

Did I misread what you wrote? You are keeping it in the fridge, right? It will rot outside of the fridge. Unless it is wintertime and cold in your house.

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

I wish we could think of something to help you feel better/more energy etc.

whine away - that's what your journal is for ....hopefully someone will have an idea or two....

Do you like your job? or are you feeling trapped?

19. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Not keeping it in the fridge, keeping outside the house in a jar covered with a plastic bag. I heard that keeping it outside would speed up the process as long as I keep flies away. Is this not true?

20. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

@caroline
    Don't really mind the job, staff are good, and I am pretty good at, and enjoy, working with customers. Having said that it is just a shitty retail job and as soon as I get enough money to get my health sorted I will find something better. TBH though I don't think I'll get the full time position as there are 4-5 people gunning for it atm... but yeah I have another back up shitty retail job starting soon anyway.

Visiting a dietician next week. Apparently she's going to be looking for possible allergies to foods that are causing me to be allergic to other foods. Im not holding out much hope for this as If I did have an allergy to a certain food which was triggering alergy like responses in other foods then when I drank just water for 30 days all symptoms should have gone, but they didn't. Anyway I'm guna use this opportunity to try and get a salivary cortisol/dhea test, full thyroid panel, or a stool antigen test. It's just trying to convince the dietician that I need these tests that will be hard.