1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Seafood, sun, and marijuana......what is the link?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Jack Kruse, May 4, 2019.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I do not buy that.

3. kris90

kris90 New Member

Please explain? Why do we always have to have X amount of something in our serum? Why is high levels of leptin = leptin resistance? Why is high levels of insulin = insulin resistance? Because the hormone CANNOT get to where it needs to be. It's a sign of poor redox.

Alex97232 likes this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My fasting insulin tested at 3, little high this time. I had 2 in the past.
    Likely lower than 90% or much more of members here.

So you are advising, damm the torpedos, kill AA.
    Not here.
    -----
    Insulin resistance that is another pet peeve.
    The way laboratory ranges are made it encourages peoples to stay diabetic.
    Fasting insulin range (0-17)
    17 is acceptable (horror)
    while one is already somewhat diabetic with 6 or even less.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  5. kris90

kris90 New Member

So @JanSz, if you believe insulin resistance = high insulin, and it means the cells become unresponsive, then why do you NOT believe that low testosterone always = hypogonadism? What if the cells receptors were holding onto the T tightly? You have no way to measure, other than assessing a patients symptoms. I have very low T, but my libido is great, I can grow quite the beard, my voice is deep, and body composition is optimal. No issues to report.

You cannot conclude that serum levels matter. They can give clues, but not the full story.

Sean Waters and Alex97232 like this.
  6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I agree that health is complicated and hard to figure.
    Most people are within averages, few are not.
    I think that you, Alex Fergus and Greenspan (hope I got his name right, or at least close)
    are outliers

and very vocal, that does not help those who are plain vanilla average.

I looked all three of your guy's blood tests.
    they are disastrous.
    But you guys are happy.
    And I am happy for you all, but I do not think that will help general public.
    That approach will hurt lots of peoples.

My steroid hormones and other are shot since before year 2000.
    I am supplementing them by my own devices, while asking doctors about what I want.
    Mainly supplementing testosterone till about 700ng/dL
    Today is my 79th birthday.
    My DW died almost 2 years ago, God bless her soul.
    So not much to talk about sex.
    In November last year I was blessed to get really nice girlfriend, 20 years my junior.
    We have a sex before going to bed and getting up, sometimes more. Every day.
    Sometimes I need to downregulate my testosterone (to your levels Kris90), results are immediate.

------------------
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-64#post-208300

Alex have 630 times (six hundreds) more DGLA than hi should, etc. with the rest of his fatty acids.
    Barely any DHA and even less AA.
    How he manages to smile, beats me.
    But what worries me more is that he advices people of what to do.
    He is definitely not usual fellow.

upload_2019-5-29_12-1-2.png

7. DrEttinger

DrEttinger Choice, the only thing we control

Exactly!

Sean Waters, Alex97232 and kris90 like this.
  8. DrEttinger

My background is in human biochemistry. I run very complex and comprehensive labs on all of my patients. I NEVER focus on individual markers. I look at the overall picture for patterns. One or two big issues may become evident, even when one or more markers I thought should be out of range weren't. I hope this makes sense.

Sean Waters, Inger and kris90 like this.
  9. kris90

kris90 New Member

I don't see how our approach would hurt others? If anything, it might help people understand how we are all governed by light, water and magnetism. What is taught here is the leptin is the key to the kingdom. It's the hormone that really controls all growth and metabolism in the body. Until I read Jack's CT series in the blog and really understood its function, I had the same perspective as you. I've never seen someone obsess over numbers as much as you.

What people can learn from guys like myself and Alex is that we shouldn't compare ourselves to the AVERAGE person if we are all after OPTIMAL. This site is all about OPTIMAL after all right? So unless you want to settle for a B or a C, you should not compare yourself to the general and ESPECIALLY assess your own health based on where you sit within a range of AVERAGE.

You say my hormone panel is disastrous. Define that? Because I'm not average? What does that even mean? There is no GOOD or BAD lab results. The best way to use labs is to assess your symptoms, make connections between what SYSTEM(s) may be off in the body, and get labs to measure what's going on in the serum. When you are symptomatic, and you have levels outside the range (both high or low), then that can give some clues as to what the issue may be. On the contrary, when you are Asymptomatic, and your labs come back abnormal, it's likely a non-issue, but ultimately it depends on context. If you did not know I was cold-adapted, doing CT, had a great libido and good body composition, you'd never guess my T levels are as low as they are. Context is key, and EVERYONE's environment is unique as well.

Sean Waters and Inger like this.
  10. kris90

kris90 New Member

And just a side note @JanSz you think you need to stop eating DHA because your levels are high, but the reality may be that you have poor redox and so you do not assimilate oxygen well to help bring more DHA into the cell membrane, hence why it's in your blood but not getting to where it needs to be. This is a dangerous assumption.

Rather than focusing on the FOOD (i.e. restricting your DHA intake based on labs), perhaps you need to focus on improving your redox using the principles taught here (light, water and magnetism). It is likely an environmental defect and NOT a food or lab story.

Deuterium is no different. Jack taught us that WHERE it is MATTERS. We are designed to keep it in the blood so we can make full spectrum UV light from the nuclear reaction by UVA & IRA light hitting our surfaces.

Sean Waters likes this.
  11. DrEttinger

Another side note which may or may not be applicable with JanSz's DHA issue. There are times I will see a particular marker high on a lab test, for this example, it's potassium at the higher end of normal 4.5-5.2mmol/L. Looking at their food log and questioning the patient, I know that they are not supplementing or eating a high potassium diet. I'm not going to list all the reason that may create a high number. The point here is that I will give the patient 1,200mg's of potassium for 30 days and retest. Now it's 3.5-3.9mmol/L, their true number. The body is not pulling potassium from the bone or tissues, it's using what I'm giving them and their true need finally shows. There is way more to than this but I hope you can see from this example that labs can be hard to interpret unless you have a deep grasp on biochem.

Sean Waters, Alex97232, JanSz and 3 others like this.
  12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am doing pretty good thank you.
    Great general answer.
    It would follow, I think, that highlighting DHA to the extreme is unhealthy exaggeration.

DrEttinger likes this.
  13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Agree.
    More variables must be examined.

[​IMG]

14. DrEttinger

JanSz, I'm sure you most likely analyzed these charts deeply. The common denominators: Magnesium, selenium, carnitine, NAC, CoQ10, choline and vitamin D. Fatty meat, egg yolks, seafood, and sun. Life is simple - Humans make it complicated. I surf, run cross-country, drink a lot of wine, and eat a carnivore style diets with cruciferous vegetables, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. That's my prescription. I've treated patients for 30 years. When I give them that prescription, the look at me like I'm crazy. You know where I'm coming from. The body is so fucking smart. Let it do all the work. We just need to remove the roadblocks and give it some high octane fuel. JanSz, I dig your passion. You are a diligent curious, and passionate human! I love reading your posts and comments.

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Look at the (excellent) advice that you posted.
    You have made it by first understanding numerous variables and their interactions.
    I am glad that you share the resultant advice of your knowledge.

I am after that knowledge.

So, back to the question that bothers me.
    It is established that many people with a variety of neolithic diseases have messed up fatty acids.
    The mess presents in two major ways.
    First, fatty acids get too long, peroxisomes are blamed, understanding of processes is rather lacking.
    Second, and that is my question.
    Omega3, especially DHA is in excess.
    Omega6, especially AA is deficient.

So, it is obvious that when @JackKruse recommends diet rich in DHA I have a nagging and obvious question.
    When I first asked Jack about it (years ago) he referred me to Patricia Kane Ph.D.
    Referring to her he said something to the effect that hers is good understanding but not complete and that he understands it better.
    That only intensified my questioning, but Jack newer picked up that subject again.
    Well, he probably did, but it went over my head.

I test my fatty acids for many years, over a decade or so.
    When I eat seafood, surprise, my DHA and EPA goes up.
    When I do not, DHA comes back to (high) normal (within laboratory ranges) but AA is always lagging, (low, mostly within range).
    Mostly not much mystery.
    Therefore question:
    why eat DHA (in seafood) when DHA is already high?

Over the years here, numerous people posted their fatty acids tests.
    Not many surprises.

16. DrEttinger

JanSz, there is more benefit to eating fish than its potential benefit on one's DHA/EPA levels. I would never look at just my EPA, DHA or AA. I'm shooting for ratios. I do the OmegaCheck test and these are the other markers I primarily focus on, though I do run a bunch of other tests - HsCRP, Ferritin, A1C, Fasting Insulin, Globulin, CBC w/differential, rT3, Free-T3, electrolytes, Triglyceride/HDL, BUN/Creatinine, and CoQ10 levels.

I would not fixate on your individual markers as long as your overall pattern shows very low inflammatory markers. If the above markers are good - fuck it, your golden.

Here's some light reading

FADS1 FADS2 gene variants modify the association between fish intake and the docosahexaenoic acid proportions in human milk.

And

Omega-3 Fatty Acid Blood Levels Clinical Significance Update

Inger and drezy like this.
  17. drezy

drezy New Member

Omega-3 Fatty Acid Blood Levels Clinical Significance Update

" ...since population omega-3 blood level ranges may vary due to environmental and genetic reasons."

Coincidence can be tough to sift through. I wonder if we should open up a possibility that the appearance of extra DHA may be a response to an insult and maybe not a cause of issues.

Alex97232, Inger and DrEttinger like this.
  18. DrEttinger

In my world that is the case with most blood test markers. The results are 'responses' rather than 'dietary'. My easy days are when I get a vegan in and there is low BUN, creatinine, protein, hemoglobin, iron, phosphorus, DHA/EPA..., and elevated MCV, glucose, and triglycerides. Now that's dietary.

Here is the BASE list of my new patient labs. I add to it based on what the person is coming in for.

Components:
    C-Reactive Protein (CRP), High Sensitivity
    Co-Enzyme Q10, Total
    Complete Blood Count (CBC) with Differential & Platelet Count
    Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP14)
    Ferritin
    Fibrinogen Activity
    Free-T3
    Free Thyroxine Index
    GGT
    Hemoglobin A1c
    Homocysteine
    Insulin, Fasting
    Iron, Serum
    LDH
    Lipid Panel with LDL/HDL Ratio
    Magnesium, RBC
    Magnesium, Serum
    OmegaCheck(TM) (EPA+DPA+DHA)
    Phosphorus, Serum
    rT3
    T3 Uptake
    TIBC % Saturation
    Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
    Thyroxine (T4), Total
    Uric Acid, Serum
    Urinalysis, Routine
    Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine), Whole Blood
    Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy

Alex97232 and drezy like this.
  19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

If the above markers are good - fuck it, your golden.
    --------------------
    My man. Thank you.

'
    Do I undestand it correctly that according to that research

high DHA/AA ratio is irrelevant most of the time
    except
    that it may create or be observed in
    psychiatric and deppresive cases?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4176556/

upload_2019-6-1_10-18-16.png

Attached Files:

20. drezy

drezy New Member

Have you ever had to inform a patient that their environment is total sh*t?

Overconsumption is a simpler possibility, but I'm still thinking through the possibilities of what it might mean, like Jan may be getting at, if the body is maxing out or favoring serum DHA in order to maintain some homeostasis in some critical place.

Sean Waters likes this.