1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Seafood Query

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by K123, Feb 2, 2014.

1. K123

K123 New Member

Hi! I try to buy wild caught fish whenever I can find it. But when it comes to other seafood like squids, scallops, oysters, mussels etc I really do like them all but I can't figure out if they have to be wild or not. Does anyone have any pointers for me? I have never seen these being sold as wild. With prawns I try to buy cold water Atlantic prawns which are tiny but at least they are not farmed!

Jan Christer likes this.
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Just do the best you can. If all you can manage is cans of sardines - do that. Don't over think it. Dr. K. has never said it should all be wild caught - that would be pretty impossible. Food is only 10% ...you have bigger things to worry about ...like your non native EMF exposure and water and sunshine.

Tell us more ... please start a journal. Dr. K. likes journals so he can get some context.

CjHedberg and rlee314 like this.
  3. nicld

nicld Gold

I asked jack the same question and he said that farm raised is better then grass fed beef or pork so eat it. I actually found some of the best salmon was fresh farm raised from Chili. Scallops, oysters and mussels with stewed tomatoes and seaweed makes a great soup.

4. K123

K123 New Member

Are you sure he said that about seafood nicld? Just a simple googling of "Farm raised Salmon dangers" brings up so much about the toxins in farmed fish. Even once a year gives you too heavy a dose of toxic elements I have read. I really cannot seem to be able to ignore that.

http://www.draxe.com/the-dangers-of-farmed-fish/
    http://www.primeseafood.com/farm_raised_salmon.html
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/09/farmed-salmon-dangers.aspx

and that is just the start!!

5. Hope

Hope Gold

In the recent optimal recent webinar (#1) he said, if your redox potential is good, you needn't be concerned about these things....

rlee314 likes this.
  6. nicld

nicld Gold

Here is what he said when I asked him.

http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?8597-Farm-raised-seafood&highlight=farm+raised+seafood

Of course wild would be ideal but there are times where that is just not available. He has also said this on some of the webinars too. The only seafood I have found to be farm raised are shrimp, salmon and talapia (not a fan of farm raised talapia). The others might be "farm" raised but they are raised in the ocean. I would check and see how they were farm raised. I am pretty particular about my salmon since I can taste the difference between the farm raised and the wild but the fresh stuff we get from Chili is great.

7. Tanya

Tanya Gold

"if your redox potential is good" - these key words should serve as a constant reminder to me when I choose my seafood.

rlee314 likes this.
  8. K123

K123 New Member

Wow! Thank you guys! Appreciate that input. Will try to buy what I can find wild and what I cant farmed :)

9. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I think I'd go for tinned salmon that's wild caught than fresh that's farmed. I also think that the size and location of the fishery is important. In Scotland they have fish farms which lose a percentage of fish to disease, wild fish sometimes get in and infect the farmed which have little natural resistence and worse still, some of the farmed get out and infect their sea faring brothers. I have switched to atlantic farmed shrimp as I'm sure I read there's actually nothing wrong with them. They have a lovely sweet taste, better than the meatier tiger prawns. Line caught tuna is available tinned too. I like that better than fresh, especially canned in olive oil.

CjHedberg likes this.
  10. TimB

TimB New Member

What about the recent problem with radioactive isotopes in the Pacific salmon?

This link is a discussion by Arnie Gunderson on radiation in the Pacific.

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

It all ties back to our redox potential ...... apparently our body can handle most things......

Mother nature has provided a system of housekeeping ....

CjHedberg and rlee314 like this.
  12. TimB

TimB New Member

Take 2.
    I guess the system didn't like the link I added.
    Anyway what about the problem with radioactive particles in the Pacific salmon?
    The scientific consensus (I know, they're often wrong), is that no amount of radiation is safe.
    Some of the salmon caught in the Northwest has tested positive for Fukushima cesium.
    As a result, folks like Arnie Gunderson of Fairewinds Energy, have advised not eating seafood from the Pacific, unless you want to just take a chance.
    And I know, we take a chance eating practically anything these days.
    Just trying to eliminate what I can that prevents getting to Optimal.

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

14. TimB

TimB New Member

Survival of the fittest in action.

Anyway, it's here to stay.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Not all radioactivity is bad........and that radioactivity is altered dramatically in seawater. Many of the risks out there are overblown......some are real. Japanese have the real things to worry about.

rlee314 likes this.
  16. Maggie P

Maggie P New Member

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The topic of radiation in seafood is overrated and misunderstood (few know about hormesis and transcription factors like PARP1 and Ku70). Sharing this for people who say, "I'm not sure about eating seafood due to Fukushima." https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/seafood-fukushima-radiation_us_56d4f6e6e4b0871f60ec971f

Radiation has been condemned by the entire scientific community as being a “dangerous bar”. This is surprising, however, since there is strong scientific evidence for the molecular mechanisms of how transient “radiation drinks” could promote health. I tell my patient's seafood radiation has many surprising benefits. Today we know that low doses of radiation stimulate DNA repair through the activation of four transcription factors, PARP-1, PARP2, ATM, and Ku70. In response to low dose, sublethal radiation (or xenohormetic compounds). PARP-1 and PARP-2 activate two DNA repair pathways called “Single strand break repair” (SSBR) and one called “Base Excision Repair” (BER). Both of these repair single-stranded DNA breaks. In response to low dose, sublethal radiation (or xenohormetic compounds), Ku-70 activates the DNA repair pathway called “Non-homologous end joining” (NHEJ). https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...+parp1+parp2&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,22&as_vis=1
    Science evolves even if your thinking remains stagnant. We must expand our grip of science…………or risk falling from the cliff. I tell this to my patients and all the alternative functional medicine doctors who keep telling their patients seafood is bad. It is really bad advice based on outdated thinking.

CjHedberg, Jan Christer and Maggie P like this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Eat your damn seafood. DHA helps fix the inflammatory reflex because it improves the efferent and afferent reflex arcs of this reflex from the brainstem. How much do you know about the inflammatory reflex that controls all gut and brain inflammation? It is huge for autism and autoimmunity. The vagus nerve has an important role in the regulation of metabolic homeostasis of the microbiome, and efferent vagus nerve-mediated cholinergic signaling controls immune function and proinflammatory responses via the inflammatory reflex. Dysregulation of metabolism and immune function in obesity are associated with chronic inflammation in the gut that cannot be turned off. The critical step allows a loss of control of the circadian release of insulin with the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cholinergic mechanisms within the efferent pathway of inflammatory reflex have, in the past 2 years, been implicated in attenuating autistic and obesity-related inflammation and metabolic complications. This pathway synapses in the celiac ganglion which send fibers to the gut and spleen where immune cells can be altered from their normal programming. The efferent part of the reflex is supposed to release norepinephrine (NE) that binds to T regulatory cells. These T cells are activated by NE to trigger production of acetylcholine that binds to macrophages receptors which produce TNF in the spleen and gut where massive arrays of T regulatory cells are located. When acetylcholine binds to the alpha-7 nAChR is causes the complete shut down of TNF production in the gut and spleen inhibiting two key molecular pathways of inflammation. I talked about the TNF and NF-kappa beta way back in the leptin series.
    One pathway controls NF-kappa beta that instructs genes in the nucleus of the macrophage to initiate making TNF. The other pathway governs the release of IL-1 and other inflammatory molecules. Research has now been worked out that shows that the immune response in humans can be controlled by the nervous system. Stimulation of the vagus nerve and quieting the output of the PVN is the key options that must be met for helping these people out. LUPUS is an autoimmune disease. Researchers have now found that when lupus was triggered by crystalline silica, a toxic mineral, and DHA blocked the activation of the disease. "96% of the lung lesions were stopped with DHA," noted one of the study authors. Silica has some unusual effects on the polarization of tissues. DHA works in non-linear fashion help the situation. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160929133613.htm

CjHedberg and drezy like this.
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

CjHedberg and drezy like this.
  20. drezy

drezy Gold

There needs to be a mitochondriac greeting card with maybe this scene from Manet on the front of the card:
    [​IMG]

Obviously this is an early mitochondriac wife trying to get another guy to properly man-splain seafood and full solar exposure to her stubborn ass husband.

"Eat your damn seafood..." is exactly what the dude on the right is saying right then right there. If the husband starts talking shit about mercury then the dude obviously has a pimp cane to smack some sense into him because he cares that much.

Man, who knew becoming a mitochondriac was going to really open up my understand of the works of Édouard Manet.

CjHedberg, Sheddie and Jack Kruse like this.