1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Seafood in order of "optimality.." help!

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Allanah, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Allanah

Allanah New Member

Hello!
    I know "optimality" is not a word, :) however I need some help figuring out which types of seafood are more superior in how optimal they are over other seafood. Here's a list of some of the seafood which I have access to or would like to eventually acquire. In order of most to least optimal, which of these are the best? (I know oysters are the best, and tilapia is inferior to salmon, etc., but I'm still including everything I have access to so that I can reference it later. :))

Canned oysters in water
    Canned clams
    Canned pink salmon (wild caught)
    Canned mackerel in water
    Canned sardines in water
    Canned tuna in water
    Canned crab in water

Frozen salmon (wild caught)
    Frozen calamari
    Frozen octopus
    Frozen lobster tails
    Frozen crab
    Frozen tilapia
    Frozen flounder
    Frozen catfish
    Frozen smoked oysters
    Frozen swai
    Frozen raw shrimp
    Frozen Ahi tuna steaks
    Frozen mahi mahi

Fresh salmon (farmed)

Taking into account DHA, mercury, and anything that affects health overall, which of these are the best and worst?
    Are there any other really good seafood options that I am missing and should try to find?
    Should I significantly limit any of these sources? I know tuna steaks are usually recommended to be consumed less than once a month for my age (and I will probably never have them anyway) due to mercury, but from my understanding that changes depending on redox? How can I figure out my redox? (sorry I know that's off topic;)) Other than tuna and mercury, though, are there any reasons to limit any of these?
    Lately I've been eating salmon twice daily (canned salmon for salmon patties for breakfast and a frozen salmon fillet for supper) until I can get more seafood variety, is this too much of one thing? Is it okay until I can get other sources?
    Anything else I should know about seafood? (the next thing to find on my shopping list is sea vegetables!!:))
    Thanks in advance for any tips!

BrainWhisperer likes this.
  2. Marbear

Marbear Gold

Here is what I use:

DHA Charts
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/html/table_g2_adda2.htm
    http://seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafood_nutrition/practitioners/omega3_content.php

Regarding mercury:
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-01-fatty-acids-fish-shield-brain.html

Search Dr. Kruse's site for Redox Rx. There is a list of things you can check for your redox.

I'm pretty new here too but the bottom line is eat as much seafood as you can - raw is always better but hard to access in some places. With that being said, make sure you are blocking blue at night and you are getting the morning and afternoon UV you need as well so that all the DHA you are eating can turn that UV light into a DC electric current.

mrc, NDC74, Solidsilverteeth and 4 others like this.
  3. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Marbear, the article you posted is great ~ and also just makes me feel awful, because I did not consume fish during my pregnancies. Maybe tuna ... maybe occasionally. I don't recall being so afraid of the mercury (although I'm sure it was on my radar at the time) ~ I just didn't know of the importance for their neurological development. I wasn't raised on seafood, so I was not familiar with it. ...So many things I would do differently if I were having more children now...

Anyway, thanks for the links. I was just thinking to myself this morning, that I would like to work on a project with the kids: Making big posters to hang on the fridge, with all of the benefits of DHA... and then a list of all the best sources. They are old enough that they are doing some of their own meals now, and I have been emphasizing to them that I want them to eat some fish every day.

4. Penny

Penny New Member

seafood with the highest DHA is herring,mackeral,sardine - but oysters have 200% of the daily zinc requirement plus shellfish feeds the distal flora better than say a salmon steak - evolutionarily speaking, it would have been easier to "score" shellfish as it is on the seashore, so there is that eating for your biology thing...

A great test is to stand on one foot prior to eating seafood and then do it after to check any change in balance - if there is,m think "mercury" - it is at this point you should eat some cilantro or pop an alpa lipoic acid pill and chase it with 200 mcg of selenium - I think wasabi has some mercury chelating properties also - really, the Japanese have it down with wasabi and ginger with their raw seafood -

One more thing - search for estrogen and BPA's - Dr. Kruse posted something about canned seafood and its BPA affecting estrogen - I think it binds to the estrogen receptors or something...

You can also try smoked salmon as well - never eat tilapia or catfish and flounder is also a bottom feeder so not sure that's such a hot idea either...

Skipjack tuna I've heard has less mercury than albacore - the bigger the fish, the more mercury it probably contains -

NDC74 likes this.
  5. Marbear

Marbear Gold

Jenelle - don't feel awful about something you did when you didn't know any better!! Like Dr. Kruse says when we know better, we do better. I think it's more important to focus your energy on moving forward and I think a perfect example is the poster project with your kids. Teach them now and then they can teach their kids. Plus you never know what they may teach other kids as well. It's the ripple effect. I don't have kids of my own but everyday I am inspired from reading about so many parents here who have taken the steps and made the changes to make their own lives and the lives of their kids better.

A lady named Lisa posted this on Facebook recently and I think she sums it all up perfectly:
    "I think it's better to accept that we all wanted optimal for our children, even if we only know now that we were on the wrong track. We don't know everything; even if we did we would be imperfect in our execution. All you can change now is the future - I don't accept any guilt for this and I move forward with my family doing better now."

NDC74 and Jenelle like this.
  6. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thank you, Marbear. I really appreciate that. It's easy for me to tell others not to feel bad about things... "We do the best we can with the knowledge we have at the time." I've said that a lot, in fact. You're right... all I can do is move forward and teach them better now.

Thankfully ~ we have been a Paleo family for 3+ years... so the addition of quality fish daily is not a huge deal. We already do not eat like anyone else we know in real life.

I did have a small moment of panic when I saw the post above about BPA. We just went to Costco yesterday and stocked up on canned fish! o_O But I was happy to see that the sardines and the tuna both say no BPA. Whew. The canned salmon... we will eat it, and then I may have to look for another source. There is no mention on the can about BPA for that one.

NDC74 and Marbear like this.
  7. Eilee

Eilee New Member

I noticed on your list, you mentioned only canned oysters in water. I eat crown prince canned oysters in olive oil l and drain as much of the olive oil that i can. Is this problematic?

8. Solidsilverteeth

Solidsilverteeth New Member

Great links, from a few years ago. I wonder if there is any updated current info

9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Solidsilverteeth and Alex97232 like this.
  10. Solidsilverteeth

My only concern is it’s hard to eat local.

Jack says if you eat something from far away then you are an idiot.

I find it hard to find local oysters, the only ones available to me are not local.

But I can buy local mussels, how similar are mussels to oysters from a goodness point of view?

Is it better to eat local mussels than oysters from far away?

https://skipthepie.org/finfish-and-...ild-raw/compared-to/mollusks-mussel-blue-raw/

11. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

The local rule applied more to the vegetable than the animal world.
    Oysters Trump mussels but mussels are a good choice if oysters are unavailable.
    Oysters come with water..

Solidsilverteeth likes this.
  12. Solidsilverteeth

How does the local rule apply more to some things than other things? The animal have been eating local.

This doesn’t make sense to me.

I wondered that when Jack talked about coconut oil and other things that can’t be local.

13. Solidsilverteeth

Mussels don’t have any fluoride but oysters do

https://skipthepie.org/finfish-and-...ild-raw/compared-to/mollusks-mussel-blue-raw/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  14. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Once I became cold adapted within a week of starting CT I gave up eating coconut oil. I don't recommend it unless you live in a latitude where they grow.

100% of the meat and seafood I eat which is at least 95% of my diet is all local. I became localvore almost two years ago now, not because I knew anything of circadian biophoton synthesis or was delusional about personal actions mitigating global warming but buying directly from farmers is the only way to know the animals are healthy and happy. Pretty much all the "organic" from WF is fraud. If you're eating caged, diseased, tortured, chemical meat/seafood then thou art that regardless of your redox potential.

15. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

16. Solidsilverteeth

This makes sense to me.

But it's not just a case of if you live in a place where coconuts are then you can eat coconut oil, you won't local coconut oil. Not from the other idea of the world.

I sell my honey locally there is no point selling it to fr away places. The information from lock flowers is in local honey. My honey cures local hay fever there is no point buying honey from the other side of the world.

Same with oyster or mussels, you want local not tinned from fr away places.

It doesn't make sense to me to say eat local with some things but not others, what am I missing?

17. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

1. Coconut oil has its context but your general recommendation is incorrect. CCO has benefits for people just starting out on the journey. It loses importance as you carry on.
    You would need to elucidate that statement with a lot of data as pertaining to seafood as the nervous systems of mollusks and cows are quite different...
    You could actually be misleading and scaring people who only have access to this kind of seafood. Are you that sure of your statement ?

Any point is welcome that is backed up with data and or reason. Using Old English for adding weight to words is for the pulpit. Ask questions,draw conclusions but do please do not make contrary statements to what is being taught without carefully debating the point made here. Bigger newbies read here as the entry portal. This is not meant as censure but an invitation to build constructively.

18. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Have you read my previous posts?

My plan shortly is to never eat seafood again because I'm going to be full time California on the Pacific coast which is currently in a 'slow' motion extinction event from Fukushima which has 5000 tons of nuclear material releasing into the ocean 24/7 since 2011 for the next 20 million years or so. For context Chernobyl only has 168 tons. Both my uncles have already died from radiation poisoning. Untold number of Japanese have died already and we can't know the real number because the government is silencing the data. The doctors there are also killing newborn babies with birth defects a practice I wholeheartedly agree with. Millions of Japanese will be dying soon.

Redox potential DOES NOT CURE PLUTONIUM POISONING inside the human body.

19. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

You are missing context and useability. When you start out with a low redox you can even eat ketogenic in summer. Complex 1 needs to recover.
    Complex 1 is the most sensitive in the ECT as pertaining to macro nutrient input (leaving aside deuterium for a minute) The carb load in a steak is minimal so the stress on complex 1 is less. Local or not local does not come into it for that reason as the photonic charge of the electrons received is way lower than if you were to eat the plants the animal ate for you.makes sense?

Canned: You lose DHA through the canning process, probably B12 too. However you preserve the DHA /EPA ratio and the "high B12. You maybe lose the 1H
    There is the BPA argument. Possibly but detox does not depend on the ingestion of some dandelion variety but on the methylation process working. The methylation process is now presumed not to be working because of malabsorption / reduced content of B vitamins. B vitamins are light sensitive and destroyed by light ( a good thing if it happens in context,a bad thing if it happens in your house or the supermarket ) it is a good thing because B vitamins are aggressive oxidants if we keep them too long.

This is why I responded pointedly earlier. It takes a heck of a lot of study when you are not a member and even if you are a member. The paradigm thinking is alive in everyone of us and is recreated every day by easy solution marketing.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Marko Pollo likes this.
  20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Lahelada
    If someone have given you a deal,
    free with no attachments,
    available any seafood, from any place, all wild and fresh, all best.

Would you eat only seafood?

Or, would seafood be only part of your diet?
    How big part, please describe in percentages of total food eaten.
    Better, compare a variety of food in their calories or their weight.
    How much would you care about Omega6 food?
    Or would you even care about omega6?