1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Seafood for beginners

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by shannoncorrin, Mar 17, 2018.

1. shannoncorrin

shannoncorrin New Member

I didn’t grow up eating seafood and I’m not fond of it. I think I can learn to tolerate salmon and maybe shrimp but the thought of oysters just doesn’t sit well. I also have no clue as to how to prepare it. What sea food is easy to tolerate and easy to prepare? Are there any good resources out there?

2. I too hated seafood before coming across Jacks work ,now I mainly eat salmon I usually have with chilli for lunch and I eat a dozen Raw Oysters 4 times per week I have them with cracked pepper and fresh squeezed lemon for Breakfast also with a cup of hot Beef Bone Broth.

Actually knowing the WHY regarding seafood consumption I look forward to the above knowing I am ticking the boxes and the results have been better cognitive function more energy deeper sleep to name a few.
    I can only suggest that mindset plays a big part ,knowing how important DHA is I was able to overcome my negative bias towards seafood.

DHA1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Cheryl., Billybats, drezy and 2 others like this.
  3. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

I used to only eat whiting that my Dad caught or any other white flesh fish & tuna. Now eat sardines, mackerel, salmon & oysters. Don't really like oysters, but try & disguise them with tamari & bit of olive oil. The red salmon has the least amount of DHA so mostly eat mackerel & sardines - both canned.

Cheryl. and caroline like this.
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

simple is always best - just lightly grill a piece of fresh fish - get to know your local seafood place and ask for suggestions. There are recipes in the epi paleo recipe section

Cheryl. and Brent Patrick like this.
  5. shannoncorrin

shannoncorrin New Member

That’s another issue. I live in Ohio. The only seafood available is what is at the main grocery store in town

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The only membrane in humans without DHA is the inner mitochondrial membrane. There is biophysical a reason for this.

Cheryl. likes this.
  7. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Good point. A lot of tastes are acquired tastes. In history it was acquired because it was the only thing available so you learn to eat it or you go hungry, and tradition had filtered out the crap and preferred good foods. Nowadays we have to make a conscious decision to pick the right food. And it helps to know how important it is, to make the right decision.

Cheryl., Billybats and Brent Patrick like this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

You can get cans of sardine and wild caught salmon and mackerel .......all great choices.

Cheryl. and Brent Patrick like this.
  9. caroline

caroline Moderator

and cans of oysters......

10. DHA can turn solar light radiation into an electrical charge, the Retina and SCN need a constant supply of DHA to run faster than organ clocks so as to make sense of the electrons from food via the ETC?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  11. Carrie Rosado

Carrie Rosado New Member

Nice thread.

12. shannoncorrin

shannoncorrin New Member

What do you do with the canned seafood? Mix it with anything? Heat it? Put on a salad?

13. drezy

drezy Gold

The more "traditional" stuff you mix in the more deuterium you'll get and the more processing the more deuterium you get. The raw oysters start to make sense in this respect.

The best I've gotten my own mom is slow cooked pulled pork (on a bun * facepalm) and with coleslaw (OK I'm willing to negotiate). With seafood I can lightly cook oysters or fish and sprinkle salt, turmeric, and pepper and she'll eat it. She won't MAKE it for herself though *facepalm#2.

FWIW if it was lunch time and you handed me some canned seafood I'd reach for my ever-present turmeric shaker and black pepper for various reasons. All that extra stuff you've been raised to believe that you need is just a belief.

Cheryl., Dean6789, Billybats and 3 others like this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The Leptin Rx just gets more right every day!
    "Before now researchers believed that land mammals played a bigger role in the diets of Stone Age people.
    'At the Norje Sunnansund settlement outside Sölvesborg in Sweden you can see that just over half of the protein intake has come from fish, 10 percent from seals, and around 37 percent from land mammals - such as wild boar and red deer - and scarcely three percent from plants such as mushrooms, berries and nuts......they only got 3% from plants." Imagine that. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ple-ate-large-amounts-fish.html#ixzz5AHHPJLeo

Cheryl., Dean6789, SlamSlask and 2 others like this.
  15. Jan Christer

Jan Christer New Member

Cheryl. likes this.
  16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Jimm, Cheryl., Jim Laird and 8 others like this.
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

Centerpiece to my life. Thanks Doc.

18. shannoncorrin

shannoncorrin New Member

How about albacore tuna packed in water from Costco?

Jan Christer likes this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

We make homemade mayo with lots of fresh herbs and garlic and fresh tumeric and fresh lemon juice and free range eggs etc. and then put it on a salad or use in an omelet.

Fresh herbs and fresh lemon juice make everything taste better!

Tuna is not such a good choice - but I suppose better than nothing.

Cheryl., WalterNL and Brent Patrick like this.
  20. Jan Christer

Jan Christer New Member

Cheryl. likes this.