1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Seafood Breakfast Idea Help!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by edance83@yahoo.com, Oct 16, 2012.

1. edance83@yahoo.com

edance83@yahoo.com New Member

Hey everyone. I've been having to eat eggs and canned tuna for quite some time and now I have a little more money to be able to eat some "real" fish and maybe some shellfish for my first meal of the day.

I'm from the midwest and don't have any ideas for good seafood recipes. I almost never ate fish growing up. I used to hate shrimp as well. I've made my fish dinners pretty decent now using spices and whatnot, but for breakfast I've only been doing a tuna scramble as I like to call it.

I just started eating shrimp, but I've still never cooked it yet. I'd like to try clams and maybe oysters as well, but that can get expensive since there really isn't much meat in them. So, I think I'll mainly try to stick to fish and shrimp for now.

I'd love to know what you guys eat for breakfast on the Epi-paleo diet. I need to eat a decent sized breakfast so that I'm not hungry before dinner. I can't really eat lunch because I won't have enough money for food since I'm buying fish now instead of land animals.

I'd like to cut back on the amount of eggs I eat if possible, but I will take any breakfast ideas even if they include eggs. No cheese though.

It doesn't have to taste "breakfasty", I'd be ok with just some good recipes for fish/shellfish. So, what do you eat for breakfast?? :)

2. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

My breakfast often isn't fish, but there is some food that works quite nicely in the morning (or any other time).

I sometimes have a kipper (or two) with my breakfast. That's actually a very traditional breakfast dish -- the sort of thing Sherlock Holmes might be eating in an old movie. Grilled mushroom and tomato would be good with that.

Another is smoked haddock (the un-dyed type). You can poach it in water for about 4 minutes. That often used to be served with a poached egg on top. Something like steamed broccoli or asparagus would complement that well.

And there's kedgeree. That's a sort of 19th century Anglo-Indian breakfast dish. The usual version has rice in it, but maybe cauliflower could substitute for that.

Quicker would be cold cooked fish or some smoked salmon or trout.

Then there are Scandinavian dishes with fish that's been marinated in vinegar and spices. Here's a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe along those lines for rollmop herrings. He soaks them in a kilner jar for a while with a mixture of cider and cider vinegar and some spices. You'd maybe want to substitute a little honey for the tablespoon of sugar, and I wouldn't use zest of orange unless you know the orange is unwaxed - but something like this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/23/herring-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

inger here makes a Scandinavian-style dish of fish with these sorts of flavours, but she doesn't marinate it just mixes it up and eats it fresh.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I use breakfast to load up on Saturated fat. I always have seafood for lunch and at least for dinner 3x/week

Recently I've pushed the fat content up to deal w/the nausea I get w/taking cycloset

If your going to do seafood why does it have to be a breakfast type meal. Why can't you just make a dinner type meal and nosh that?

We do seafood stew regularly.

Bacon. & clams & mussels is a big hit

Fish "tacos" wrapped in blanched cabbage

Shrimp salad

Tuna & sardine salad

Crab cakes

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I do the same thing Gretch does.......but if I have left over from the night before I take full advantage of it for the BAB then.

5. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

There's another one for you, Lovelife - leftovers. Besides just eating them "as is" you could use some flaked fish and/or some shellfish as an omelette filling.

6. ealachan

ealachan New Member

My "fish for breakfast" go-to recipe is half a can (or sometimes a whole can) of salmon cooked in a little bacon fat, with a couple strips of bacon crumbled into it, and two runny-yolked eggs over the top. Super good on a bed of lightly cooked kale, as well.

7. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I do the same as Shijin and load up on saturated fats for my BAB and then have lighter seafood meals for lunch and dinner.

The few times I had a seafood BAB I ate bacon wrapped salmon or just noshed a pound of shrimp. My veggie of choice these days is always some type of seaweed - dulse, kelp, arame, kombu, etc. If I'm feeling especially hungry, I'll also throw in some avocado or mushrooms.

8. Rosekelly

Rosekelly New Member

Frozen clams. Bacon. Add garlic and onions. Yum!

9. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I do something simple - mash together half an avocado and a can of sardines, spread on a sheet of nori, then roll up and cut into slices. Very tasty and easy.

10. Hmmm! I am going to try this! Caveboy eats many cans of sardines, but I'm having a tough time getting into them.

11. edance83@yahoo.com

edance83@yahoo.com New Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! :)

For those asking why I want to eat fish for breakfast.

I do eat fish for dinner. Here is my dilemma... I don't have the money to buy any grassfed meat. So, I can eat beef that is grainfed or try to just eat fish/shellfish. What do you guys think is better (the fish is not always wild caught either). I figured it would be better to eat fish than regular meat, but maybe not.

I also don't understand why we shouldn't use any saturated fat when we cook our seafood? I know that it was stated in one of the blog posts, but I never saw or understood why. Also, what do you guys cook your fish in then if you can't use any butter, duck fat, or CO? It will stick to the pan if I don't use some kind of fat to cook it on. I can't grill because I don't have one. I guess I could bake it, but that ends up taking so much longer than just cooking it on the stove-top.

I have $150 for food for a month. The cheapest fish I can get is Swahli or another white fish I can't remember the name of.. not wild caught for $10.99/4lbs. As you can see it's pretty tough to eat this way and get enough food. I was eating two eggs, can of tuna, a potato (I know not great, but helps hunger), half onion, some butter or duck fat, one piece of fish (about 4-6oz), 1 quarter pound burger, cup of cooked broccoli or seaweed salad. That was on about $125/month. Sometimes no potatoes. That was breakfast and dinner. Skip lunch because not enough food. Sometimes I was hungry still, but I'd wait out till dinner. I've always had a large appetite, though to me this isn't a lot of food by any means, but my roommate can somehow only eat once a day and be fine (though she smokes and drinks coke all day). So, to some I guess this is plenty of food, but to me it's not much. Fish has never really been filling to me compared to other meat.. I'm assuming it's the lower fat content. Which is why I usually need to fill up on a good amount of fat and meat or I'm hungry. I love food! :)

12. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

Talapia perhaps?

Liver and kidneys are often fairly cheap these days - I guess mostly because people are sort of halfway to vegetarianism and don't like to eat anything that looks like it actually came from an animal. If it's from something like an non-intensively reared lamb, it's good. Frozen lamb's offal from Australia or New Zealand should be grass-fed.

Canned sardines and salmon are pretty cheap considering.

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I often eat seviche for breakfast, just take the jar out of the fridge, strain some seafood from the lime juice, and eat. Really fast, really simple, really good. Breakfast from start to finish in 5 minutes.