1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Seafood and viruses

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by MJ*, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

The only time I ever got severe food poisoning was from a bag of store-bought beef jerky..... technically cooked. I eat raw veggies all the time pulled from the dirt when working on farms - we don't wash and yes there's manure in the dirt that *we* put there - we use good practices for the manure sourcing but after that.... a bit of dirt and bacteria have only been good for me. I would never use chlorox on my food. My mother never was a clean freak with us kids either... my immune system handles stuff for me now. I know I could get sick... but how much are you increasing your likelihood of getting sick by constantly disinfecting everything and getting no exposure at all?

2. MJ*

MJ* New Member

There is something to be said for not making your environment too sterile...and for allowing your immune system to do its good work. I stopped buying antibacterial soap for that reason a few years ago. There are good points being made on both sides of this.

3. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I agree with Soul, I wouldn't use chlorox on my food. I do wash things well though. I used a mild orange oil soap to wash fruits and veggies, then rinse well. I wash meat, chicken and fish too, with just water and then dry it with paper towels before cooking. It reduces the bacteria on surfaces.

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

So our DNA is passively receiving the sequences? Or does our immune system secret them away there?

5. Ditto on the dirty food - we get from a local farm where I see the farmers and workers and know their practices - same with meat. What scares me is frankenfish!

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Wait... I'm supposed to the clean the food I get from my garden? yeah I rinse it off... but other than that... I don't bother.. and 1/2 the time I forget to wash the stuff I buy at WFM...

here's your frankenfish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakehead_(fish)

7. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

I don't clean food I get from my garden, sometimes rinse with water, sometimes don't . I do rinse meat and fish with water.

I don't know where my other food is coming from or who has handled it and where their hands have been...even buying from WF.

I know I am being OCD cloroxing my fruit and veggies :rolleyes: I got really bad food poisioning in Mexico and started doing this religiously when I got home. I never want to go through that again.

Thanks for being diplomatic MJ!

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

indigo I had that reaction to beef jerky for the longest time... just couldn't eat it. I still can't eat bags from the store, they gross me out and smell weird so I make my own now and that's been going well. I know the meat is fresh and I dry is properly and my brain calms down about it. But it's normal after food poisoning, it's how we're supposed to not eat anymore what made us sick once.

9. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Thanks, Soul.

I felt a little beaten up by some of the responses and this was right after the Webinar last night and I was feeling like there was no hope for me b/c of Hashis.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Hashi's is a tough thing to have........the truth is what you need. If you have it you need to run a tight ship. Tighter than you currently believe because of the light you allowed and not the food you eat.

11. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

That came home loud and clear last night!

Haven't been tested for Hashis...actually my allergist told me my thyroid was toast and I had Hashis. My sister has Hashi's. My mother, sister and I are all hypothyroid. Should I be tested for Hashis?

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yes.........no doubt

13. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Yes to all of that. There are thousands of viruses that are capable of integration into human DNA, many have cleverly made it part of their life cycle. Most, but not all are RNA viruses. Think herpes (DNA) virus that infects, an RNA intermediate integrates into neurons and may lay dormant for many years before being excised and starting viral replication (thus becoming infectious) again. There are thousands of HERV's (human endogenous retroviruses)...they make up roughly 8% of our genome. After integration many viral sequences are made "silent" by host cell processes (methylation, deletional recombination, histone deacetylation, etc), but as Dr. K has pointed out, many sequences have radically modified our epigenetics. HERV sequences can act as promoters and enhancers, turning our genes on and off. They are implicated in multiple forms of cancer and in autoimmune disease.

14. Glen PDQ

Glen PDQ New Member

How likely is it that our gut flora would incorporate the bits of genetic material from the large amount of viruses in seafood? Perhaps the genetic material in seafood is more likely to cause changes in our gut symbionts first.

15. Marccus

Marccus New Member

need not to worry about this thing as still haven't any type of virus been discovered which can cause any type of problem like HIV or cancer, so be happy and enjoy your sea food with awesome taste and date

16. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

Food poisoning caused me a 6lb weight loss in just over 6 hours this weekend. Vomiting and diarrhea constantly for hours. Was no seafood involved. I've narrowed it down to some chicken a guy from work gave me on Friday night or Saturday lunch Chipotle, would have been the carnitas.

17. Inger

Inger Silver

Fowl is foul... or how did Jack use to say ;)
    hope you feel better soon!

18. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

A hard lesson to have to relearn. I'm back on track now!