1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Seafood and viruses

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by MJ*, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MJ*

MJ* New Member

From this abstract:

"Viruses are the most significant cause of shellfish-associated disease"

Since viruses cause epigenetic change, and shellfish carry viruses, will eating more shellfish also cause epigenetic change in us? Will it make us sick or smarter or both? This is just a curious question I've been considering, is there an expense to eating so much shellfish?

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks for asking this, MJ.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Perhaps the answer is that if we are very stressed, our bodies will seek to use these viruses to improve our lot in life. Is this why Jack first introduced the Leptin Reset, then CT, and then finally seafood? So we would not be overly stressed when exposed to those viruses?

4. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I am not really sure if it was planned this way, but it seems like a good progression. I believe viruses are stessors, right? I do think that since viruses play a vital role in epigenetic changes this study at least corroborates the possible connection between viruses, eating seafood and accelerated epigenetic changes that led to our big brains...I'm just wondering if eating seafood today will cause further epigenetic changes or maintain status quo.

5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Yes, viruses often insert sequences in our DNA upon infection. Often it is a random event and no harm comes of it, but sometimes viral sequences can activate other genes we possess. Think oncogene activation, which may lead to cancer, especially lymphomas, leukemias and sarcomas. Even though it can be damaging for the individual, for a mutation of this type to be passed on, the viral gene or gene fragment must be inserted into germ cells (eggs and sperm) then the host must reproduce for it to be stably maintained. Viral gene sequences can also "jump" to other locations taking host cell fragments with them and reinsert themselves. So gene mixing is not infrequent. There is quite a bit of evidence that this does occur. This is certainly one way that evolution occurs. Does it mean you shouldn't eat seafood? Not at all...viruses are everywhere, you can't avoid them. I'd be more worried about acute illness from a virus than genetic or epigenetic change.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/01/bornavirus-in-human-dna/

6. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Interesting article thanks Kathy...germ cell insertion is a factor for anyone of reproductive age when considering all their habits. It is becoming abundantly clear from all that we are learning here that what we do, what our grandparents have done, in terms of what we consume, and are exposed to, and maybe even our physicality, directly effects the health of our offspring. For us as individuals, I agree acute illness is a concern with especially the consumption of raw or tainted seafood. Considering that there is no fossil evidence of the changes from ape to man, Dr. Kruse has contended that epigenetic changes to the individual matter - the speed of which allowed for encephalation of our brains. What we do and are exposed to matters and directly effects our own health and development. I agree it's hard to avoid viruses since they are everywhere, the point of this was that the abstract of this article shows that viruses are especially abundant in seafood. Therefore, by consuming seafood in abundance we are being exposed to more viruses as a result. We have no way of knowing what the exposure to viruses of today will bring tomorrow in terms of epigenetics. My takeaway LoL is this confirms what I'm already doing, cooking my seafood, for more than one reason.

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

here's a thought.... is it possible for the viruses found in seafood (raw shellfish in particular) that will allow us to become immune to diseases like HIV/AIDS, Ebola and other debilitating viruses/bacteria? take MRSA and the flesh eating bacteria - COLD + those viruses might support increased immunity in a person w/a healthy BG axis; but decimate those adapted to warm,& who have a sub-optimal BG axis

I'm inclined to believe that some times there are benefits that out weigh the risks.... the question is - are you willing to accept those risks?

8. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Really interesting speculation, and I do think it possible...I wish we had some evidence, certainty...a strong immune system should help fight off diseases, but that's a tough question to answer without knowing - what are the risks?

9. Also - what about the concept that it changes things so we can pass down the benefits, yet suffer the illness ourselves. For me - my passing day is over, no benefit for my progeny now for me to die of some strange vibrio!

10. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Well, the two major types of immunity are humoral (antibodies) and cellular (NK, T cells, eosinophils, phagocytes, etc.). I don't think infection by a virus found in seafood would confer any humoral protection against the diseases you mentioned...unless you ate seafood containing Ebola (incredibly unlikely since it's a primate virus) and managed to survive long enough to form antibodies. HIV is a special case, since one of its unique features is its ability to escape a humoral response. Now you might be on to something if the infective agents in seafood were able to activate cellular immunity...which would also provide some nonspecific protection. That is...if you have lots of NK and T cells they may attack many different viral or bacterial agents. In fact, one of the diagnostic criteria for AIDS is a drop in T cell level coinciding with a rise in viral titer.

The bottom line for me...if you cook your seafood, I think any risks are truly negligible. If you eat raw seafood, the risk is higher, so source (clean water) and time of year (more infections occur in war months) becomes important and freezing certainly helps. Can you get sick from raw seafood? Yes. Does it happen frequently? Not really, though outbreaks are certainly reported every year. If you are immunocompromised, cook your seafood. If you are not, use common sense and don't complain if it does happen...you knew the risks. I still eat raw seafood...sushi/sashimi and raw clams/oysters occasionally.

11. kathylu

kathylu Gold

oops...warm months, not "war"

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

You know as I read it I thought it said warm. Not war. Lol!!!

13. MJ*

MJ* New Member

;) LoL thanks gawd my passing days are over too, no guilt over not eating it raw if that turns out to be the benefit haha!

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

There is a far more likely chance you get ill from meat.......just look at the two recalls this week for millions of pounds of meat.

Brent Patrick likes this.
  15. MJ*

MJ* New Member

No doubt meat can make you ill. I saw the Times article yesterday on ground beef and Salmolenna, ground beef is a big culprit, and cross contamination in kitchens.

16. kathylu

kathylu Gold

True. However, the real truth is that you are much more likely to get a food borne illness from contaminated fruits and veggies than either seafood, meat and dairy. Unfortunately, I can't find the cite...but the issue is that many more fruits and veggies are eaten raw than animal products. Surprising, eh?

17. MJ*

MJ* New Member

That is surprising! I have been using a fruit and veggie wash from Trader Joe's but it probably does not get everything, and hopefully it's not adding something bad LoL!

18. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

19. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Wow indigogirl, I didn't know you could use bleach on food items! You learn something new everyday! Thanks for sharing...

20. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Good to see you back, MJ!