1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

seafood adaptation!...

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by janagram, May 24, 2012.

1. MartiD

MartiD New Member

That or my paleo diet has prevented me from burning now. I put it on the in morning, and in the afternoon go for a swim and sit in the sun for awhile with no sunscreen and haven't burned yet. I normally have to be careful first 3 or 4 times in sun until I get a base but this year I have just tanned darker than ever before with no burn. I think Dr. K has said he uses CO instead of sunscreen too. It's weird I know!

2. MJ*

MJ* New Member

MartiD that's great, I think it's a combo of good eating and CO and other supplements...good stuff!

3. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

CO (or ev olive oil) work as about SPF 2-4. That means that if you can go out on the longest day of the year at noon and get burned in 30m, CO will get you between 1 and 2hrs before you burn. Not bad, esp. since commercial sunscreen is not ony full of chemicals, but it doesn't protect you from skin cancer, since

- It's only effective against the rays that cause the warning sign (sunburn). Commercial SPF *only* refers to these rays.

- Even though they've tried to make it protective against UVA rays, they've failed. Every one of them breaks down in ... sunlight. Even physical blocks like zinc/titanium oxide are problems these days b/c most of them contain micronized particles with unknown long-term effects.

Putting on sunscreen allows you to stay out in the sun far past your individual "safe" point (which will depend on time of year, time of day, cloud cover, base tan, genetics, omega 3:6 ratio (so far as I can tell) & other dietary factors I have't yet identified), vit D status, etc.), which is why skin cancer continues to increase the more sunscreen people use. It removes the warning system without removing the danger of excess exposure.

I use CO, and when I've reached my personal max, I cover up. I've found that starting 3 years ago, my body tells me exactly when I've had enough. I watch my children, and theirs does the same - they seek shade naturally when they're on the edge.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

!!!....... like so many things these days... cover up if sun burns you.

5. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Great post MamaGrok...interesting about the CO...I agree, know your limits!

6. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I agree, my kids work on a beach I drive them crazy about this!

7. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I am fair skinned and have always burned. I haven't done anything stupid like spend 10 hrs in blazing sun, but I have been working and playing for many hours at a time in full sun with no shirt or hat and since going paleo I do not burn anymore and I have not used any sunblock since 2010. I tan for the first time in my life. WTF? One more amazing benefit.

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Even DH, who has only somewhat reduced his wheat, processed oil, and sugar intake, has seen some improvement in the sunburn department. He got a painful burn a couple weeks ago, but it hasn't peeled at all. He's surprised.

9. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

I did yard work this weekend without a shirt for one hour and got sunburn. I'll see how quickly it heals.

10. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Clearly I've got too much o6 yet as I got a killer sunburn a few weeks ago, which peeled in a week. Normally I slather the sunscreen but I headed off for a few hours at Disneyland without it and paid the price!! Looking forward to not needing it someday. For now I'll stick with coconut oil!!

On a related note, my skin is improving so much... Nice soft elbows... And my face, which was downright ashy and flaky, is looking great and I stopped using oil of Olay moisturizer/sunscreen a month ago ... Nothing on my face not even CO!

11. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

Small world. I did use sunscreen for the all day visit to Disneyland last week. Not one bit of burn. I never put on a jacket at night to get some cold as an added bonus. That success emboldened me for my weekend sun exposure. The burn is staying surprisingly strong. I keep hitting it with aloe and coconut oil.

12. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Is it the high concentration of 06 that causes sunburn?

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

we think the 06 and the UV rays cause the problem.......

14. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

I was in Las Vegas this week for some R & R, and decided to get some Vitamin D with about 15 mins of pool time. I forgot to pack my sunscreen and didn't want to pay an exorbitant amount that they charge in the hotel. I ended up staying poolside for 2 hours, playing in the water, drying off in the sun, repeat.

I'm very fair-skinned and burn extremely easily, even with sunscreen. But this week, in 105 degree cloudless Las Vegas, I am amazed as anyone that I did not even get slightly pink. Must be the CO, the CT, the extra seafood (from zero consumption to once daily), to full-on Paleo.....) Funny, I didn't connect the dots until reading this thread.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If it peels I got a coming blog that tells you you are really deficient in one hormone........tell tale sign. That will be Webinar material.

16. Stonecold

Stonecold New Member

Too funny Optimal....that was exactly what was going through my head.

17. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

I am analyst for a living but very intuitive in thinking. My intuition has be gnawing at the back on my mind that I may have hormone issue. I look forward to the new information. Intuition also been telling me to look to an iodine connection to the hormone issue. To that end I'm eating more seafood, rereading blogs, and posts about people's hormone tests and results. I expect I'll need to make a case with my CW doc for what may look odd tests for someone considered generally healthy and getting healthier.

18. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

You have me really fired up to learn. :) . When you hear hooves think horses not zebras.... I was thinking some T4 T3 issue with some other hormone wreaking path I don't understand. Re-reading blogs I think the answer is probably simpler. 1. I have treated OSA (apnea which I hope to share about soon). 2. I have been VLC paleo for longer then a year and still/recently cold adapting. 3. I get too much light at night like reading blogs and posting right now. That would seem to be the recipe for poor prolactine release and result in low DHEA or GH. FWIW, I have not peeled yet.

I have more to say but it's past my bedtime. ;)

19. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

I am glad to say it didn't peel. I hope to get to the point I don't burn either.

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

No question your answers will be found on labs if you look.......you cant know what is under the rock if you do not look.......of know to look.........modern medicine does not because they dont understand how evolution created us.......once you do you start looking in new places and stop drawing Chem 7's and H/H and lipid panels.