1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

seafood adaptation!...

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by janagram, May 24, 2012.

1. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

For those in California, try and find a sushi restaurant that serves live sea urchin from off the coast of Santa Barbara -- it's hands down the most sublime unprocessed flavor I've ever experienced in my life.

2. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

Joe do you know any places around the beach cities area?

3. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Ok Joe, spill if you know a local source. I'll ask my usual sushi haunt but I love me some urchin. In Hawaii I had lobster sashimi......hands down the best thing I've ever eaten. So delicious!

4. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I recently bought flounder roe at a local fish shack on L.I. Really cheap $2.00 a pound. It's long pouches of dense fish eggs that I sliced 1/2" thick and curry/turmeric/ butter/CO black pepper slow fry in the pan -1 billion fish eggs delicious!

5. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

fresh uni is mind blowing anyway, but if a place serves it right out of the shell, you'll enter a new world of subtle but layered amazingness!!!

there was a place down here in MV that served it that way but they've since changed ownership and I haven't been back to check. I'm guessing you'll have to do some investigations of your own.

Another option is to take a field trip to the Redondo Pier where all the fresh off the boat seafood is sold. I've seen the black spikey urchins there before. You'll just need a scissors and some crafty hands to cut the bottoms out!

I still ponder an idea of someday doing a coastal road trip where at some point we stop in SB and I bring a bucket or a net and jump in the drink to grab my own urchins! ; ) Not sure how far out they are though, will need to research.

6. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

Krusing, also do you like snails? Some sushi places might carry them sometimes (our local one does, thanks to my dad's influence on the owner ; ) but also there's a traditional Italian grocer/deli in Tustin that carries canned scungili (conch). It's a bit pricey around $6/can but they taste amazing, especially if you throw them in some sort of marinara. I've added them to take-out Thai coconut seafood soup. If you have a Peppino's anywhere near you, they have scungili too which is surprising.

7. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

I am basically in Redondo.....will check it out...thanks!!

8. Awesome idea. Thanks.

I've been eating a lot of salmon and haddock wild caught. There are a lot of online resources, but it's hard to know what yard stick they are using to make their determination. Looks like wild US shrimp is safest. I suppose some of the US farms might be sustainable. Sort of like "organic" meat.

Interesting that Dr K says bad fish is better than grass fed beef. Thanks for the tip on cilantro for mercury. I try to eat fish for lunch and/or dinner ever day. My stomach doesn't like fish for brekky though. I need a heavy protein in the morning to set myself up for happy blood sugars all day long.

Any way, here are two links I just read:

http://www.rodale.com/safe-fish-eat

http://www.rodale.com/12-fish-you-should-never-eat

9. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Any tilapia you get will likely be farmed. Fish farmers actually use hormones to treat the tilapia to change their sex to mostly male, because if there are too many females the fish will breed too much and lead to way too many small fish and not enough fish that are big enough to process. Farmed tilapia has also been found to have as high as an 11:1 O6:O3 ratio.

In other words...yuck.

10. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

what to do with the live urchins:

[video][video=youtube_share;U789yspjIg8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U789yspjIg8[/video][/video]

11. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Do you eat that raw?

12. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

yes... my dad's side of the family is Sicilian and growing up in Gloucester, MA they would pick those off the rocks down at the harbor, haul them back home in buckets, get the scissors and get to work. It's labor intensive for the amount of roe (or actually gonad) you get per urchin, but the unique taste more than makes up for it. It has sort of a nutty, sweet flavor.

It's usually not available live out of the shell in sushi bars, but if you are ever in a sushi bar in California and they offer uni as sushi, make sure it's a somewhat vivid yellow or deep orange and *not* pale, texture is firm and *not* slimy, and that it has no smell to it. The freshness factor makes the difference between an amazing experience and a miserable experience. Seafood sections in Japanese markets will carry it too (as sashimi grade uni).

I'm not sure on it's nutritional profile. The Japanese have known it to be an aphrodesiac food. With some googling I found out it is rich in anandamide, which I guess activates the dopamine pathway in the brain. Well chocolate has anandamide as well, so I can't know what the implications are for including more urchin in one's diet. Maybe Dr Kruse has some input.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

anandamide is part of the endocabinoid system......LDN like.

14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I'm trying to figure out why my skin has recently become incredibly smooth. Is it the recent increased seafood intake? Anyone else seeing this?

I now eat some seafood about 4X per week, up from none to once per week

I can't think of anything else that I have changed. I'm still eating about the same amount of fat.

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Seafood has done miracles for my skin. And it's still getting nicer every week. No more chicken skin. My massage therapist today used lotion and I had to wash it off afterwards... it was bugging me. My skin is nice and soft without a layer of something.

16. janagram

janagram New Member

um, wellll, I doubt I'll be urchin adapted anytime soon! But I am eating more fish. So far once a week, with intention to increase.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This is the base of the Epi-Paleo Pyramid I follow.

18. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

My skin suddenly and dramatically went smoother two weeks after giving up dairy & wheat 100% (no more 98/2). Smoother than ever n my life. I was hardly eating any seafood at all.

I'm going to guess it's some deficiency that different ones of us have for different reasons.

19. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I think CO consumption is what has helped mine. I do eat seafood a couple of time a week but that has recently changed as to my skin changed last fall after I started eating 3-4 tsp of CO daily. Now I use it as a moisturizer and sunscreen daily.

20. janagram

janagram New Member

its a sunscreen??