1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

seafood adaptation!...

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by janagram, May 24, 2012.

1. janagram

janagram New Member

OK, how much? Everyday? We need to explore the safest and best sources of seafood! I don't know that much about the subject. My mother was from No. Dakota....we didn't eat a lot of fish. (Hi, Paleocowgirl!)

But. I have ( in recent years) begun eating delicious wild salmon and halibut. I enjoy those when at a good restaurant, and I cook them well myself, but often beef is more tempting. If I had grown up on the gulf coast I would just looove shrimp, but I don't. How to learn to? Or are scallops really good? (I had a slightly yucky dish of scallops once, so don't order those.) tentacles are out, no calamari. I amy not be the only one with this issue. I am also very motivated to seafood adapt! So I am literally opening this thread to cultivate the factor x implications of diet!!!

2. AKMan

AKMan New Member

My attempt since last winter to eat a ketogenic seafood rich diet included eating wild-caught salmon once or twice a week, shrimp once or twice a week, and other seafood like mussels and scallops. However, I often felt I was falling short of my goal.

My solution was to fill my bottom drawer at work with sardines! Mostly the skinless, boneless variety packed in water or olive oil. Kipper snacks, too. My breakfast now consists of 1 or 2 cans of sardines. If I eat lunch it is a green salad or steamed veggies and sardines or cooked fish if I can get some. My goal is to eat only fish during the day and dinner is usually beef or venison (moose). I raise chickens, so I eat eggs on the weekend, but I also pig out on grilled salmon on weekends.

My HDL went from 39 to 61 since January! Triglycerides are 51, from 60.

3. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I love your thread, will try and add some things when I have time!

4. janagram

janagram New Member

I still hold out hopes for scallops being good....so if they are...how to prepare, or what to order in a restaurant. And also shrimp. They seem possible in an ideal world.....whereas, mussels, wellllll, (never say never , my hub loves them)....and about those sardines, Akman, that's a stretch....but again, maybe it could be a special taste....I once had a ...hm, what to call it? a kind of pesto made with sardines and olives and capers that was pretty good on a cracker...oh wait, I said cracker! Sorry!

5. Huck

Huck Silver

A good way to start with fish and seafood is to see them as a vehicle for butter and garlic. I love shrimp, scallops, and cod cooked in garlic butter. Crawfish tails are good but expensive, unless you can catch your own. Saute some celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic and throw in some crawfish.

6. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Sea scallops (not bay) are delicious grilled or sauteed simply in a good fat, sprinkled with salt and pepper. I look at most seafood like most veggies - pretty meh alone, but a nice vehicle for fat & salt & yeah, garlic.

But the quality issue keep s me from eating more. Where is safe shrimp? I know to buy salmon only wild, but what about the other types? I know they shouldn't be farmed, but how do I find out? where do I get them?

I know small fish, like herring, are supposed to be safer, I guess because they don't get farmed? (yes, and the theoretical mercury issue, although I also read that bigger fish also concentrate selenium (?) more, and that chelates the mercury or something.

Very confusing.

7. So one easy way that always gets rave reviews at my house is to take some bay scallops and poach them in butter (or fat of your choice). Get a pan that is just big enough to hold your scallops. Melt butter (or CO or combo) and put the scallops in. If they aren't fully submerged you will have to turn them over once. Cook them slowly - just enough heat so the fat is trembling until they are opaque. Have some steamed veg ready to go (fennel bulb and celeriac root are a good match). Grab a bowl, toss in your steamed veg, top with scallops, drizzle some of the fat from cooking the scallop over the top of the dish and sprinkle with salt. If you are serving this for a larger crowd - grill a filet of salmon to go with it.

Scallops are like a good steak - over cook them and they turn tough and yucky.

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

3-5 meals a week......the worse off you are the more it should be 5-6 a week.

9. AKMan

AKMan New Member

You guys ever hear of Ceviche'? You take raw fish (salmon, trout, halibut, scallops work best IMO), squeeze lime and/or lemon juice over it until it is cover, refrigerate for 4-8 hours. The acidic juice cooks the fish. While it's soaking, add chopped onions, cilantro, garlic, capers, green onion tops/chives.

I eat it right out of the bowl, but also good as a side or a topping to grilled fish. Or corn tortillas if you do those.

10. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

At what point does the benefit of any kind of seafood outweigh the negatives of modern seafood?

- If you can only get farmed fish, should you eat it, anyway?

- If you can only get clawless crabs from the Gulf, should you eat it, anyway?

- If you can only get three-headed shrimp from the coast of Japan, should you eat it, anyway?

I just don't know where the balance is. I may just stick to canned herring & sockeye salmon until I can figure it out. (Are all canned oysters safe?)

11. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE ceviche. Trout, scallops, shrimp, octopus, anything!!

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

During webinar Dr K said seafood/fish is the optimal protein. I assume you can't eat too much of it then? I think I'll grow fins soon at my rate.

Do we need to eat ruminants to be healthy? I do include offal but rarely ever eat muscle meat right now.

13. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I sooo agree lobster was always my excuse to eat butter, before I knew I could eat butter!!! :cool: I've never had crawfish tails, are they in shells? If so do you eat them, life softshell crab?

14. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Scallops wrapped in BACON! Yum...muscles I used to think I'd never ever eat one...my brother worked in a very nice restaurant and he made me try them...promised me a good drink if I did ;)...It was surprisingly so soft and incredibly delicious, not rubbery or at all what I expected...garlic and butter Huck those where part of how they prepared them, and some spices, that I'm not sure of...but never say never...

15. MJ*

MJ* New Member

ceviche? what does that word mean MamaGrok?

16. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Incredible!! Congrats!!

17. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Thanks for the recipe and great tip!

18. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Scallops are wonderful if done well. If done badly, they get chewy like erasers...:) You basically just want to get a good hot pan with a little butter in it and sear the scallops. They're better when they're not "done" all the way through, at least to me.

Mussels are wonderful steamed in white wine, and also in a coconut curry broth - that's one of my all-time favorites.

Sardines, I've only just tried recently, and I was actually shocked at how much I liked them. They tasted like somewhat stronger tuna to me. I was a little skeeved out by the crunch bones, but not so much so that I didn't polish off the whole can.

19. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I've never cooked muscles, how do you know when they are done?

20. If I may.. :D

http://bit.ly/JuDiGQ