1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Screen time risk

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Jack Kruse, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Consider this....What is critical to a plant to grow? Sunlight and water. Being oblivious to both is like a scientist asking why a plant will not grow in the wrong kind of light............ Sometimes research is only difficult because they don’t know what we don’t know. This is the basis of the Dunning Kruger effect I often speak about. As a result researchers ask the WRONG questions and order the wrong tests and clinicians keep looking under the wrong stones to find answers. This is what functional medicine does with methylation and depression. It turns out methylation is altered by ambient light frequencies and nnEMF.

To answer this question precisely, mental health professionals and scientists must ask better questions by stepping outside of its normal line of questioning and think about what blue lit technolgy screens, depression and lack of sleep all have in common: the use of light. Moreover, how this light varies from sunlight that plants and brains need to develop properly. technology screens introduce a very alien spectrum of 5700 K (solar noon) 24/7 to the eyes and brains in very high doses. This light affects the central reitnal pathways which connect to the SCN, pituitary, and brain via POMC release just by shining the fake light directly into the eye which then has its effect on the brain and mood and mental status.

We, as a general population are unfortunately so far behind this basic understanding and will take years before we start to realize that artificial light is the next "cigarette" and "highly process carbs" scandal for the public to deal with.

https://theconversation.com/with-te...over-five-years-theres-a-likely-culprit-86996

Annemarie Heise, Mayuri and Danny like this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

^^^ If you haven't read this article you need to. Buckle up for some heartbreak though.

I've made some (more) parenting/home rule changes after reading it.

Mayuri, Danny and Sandra like this.
  3. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Drezy.. are you the kind of parent that can talk with your child/children about everything. If I had kids I would show them the trueth of everything from day one. For an example: if you do this such and such this is or can be the consequence. You seem like that kind of Dad. I really am Thankful Dr. Kruse and all of you on here have opened my eyes to nnEMF and nature. We sure did lose our way, some of us.

4. drezy

drezy Gold

I am very lucky to have an easy to raise boy. Several people both in and outside of family have remarked on how incredibly closely my son and I work together. I've hand made every one of his school lunches minus about 12 since he was in pre-K. Lately we listen to short story audiobooks together in the dark before bed (a great dark 45+ min) and then talk about them during the drive to school. We have deep discussions. He's my only real investment in this planet.

This morning we discussed an article pointed out here by @Mystic Rose60 :

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...-in-the-news-today.11246/page-100#post-234131

That one was painful to read too.

Sadly the boy in the story felt pressures to academically super-achieve and offed himself. My son, who feels his own pressure, thought it was crazy. Still I made it very clear to him that in the end I don't really give a flying f*ck what his grades are. Instead I just want him to be able to look back and say that his put forth a really good effort. I explained that I'm not here to judge him but that I'm just a proxy for future him. He already knows that.

Oh, I'm very direct about all that. Plus it's easy when you have a boy. He grasps the following from this site:

His generation is bathed, by default, in blue light and nnemf
    That effects hormones
    More boys of his generation will experience "soft wood" issues
    Those boys that don't will ultimately have a selection advantage

As a result:
    He's barefoot outside regularly (shooting cans like a Texas boy should)
    Homework is done outside on paper
    f.lux or iris + blueblockers are always used when screens are involved
    3x/week CT
    Epic-Paleo diet (with a few cheats b/c he's just a kid)

I've also learned to have some fathering rules too:
    Provide
    Protect
    Be sincere
    Wear just underwear around the house until asked to put more clothes on
    Proceed to ignore all requests to wear more than just underwear around the house
    Try to be a lens to the world
    Admit that you are a flawed lens with some aberrations
    Hopefully play with grandbabies someday
    Die and get the hell out of the way

Sean Waters, Mayuri, Danny and 2 others like this.
  5. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Wooooow Drezy. No words but awesome Dad.

Sean Waters, Mayuri and Mystic Rose60 like this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Nah, I have so much more to learn.

Sean Waters, Mayuri and Mystic Rose60 like this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

we all do. It is the role of the skeptic.

8. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

Heartwarming to hear that you have such a wonderful father, son relationship @drezy !

Each day is a gift and we all have the opportunity to learn so much while here. :)

@Jack Kruse , thank you for posting this article Doc!

Mayuri likes this.
  9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

skeptic = perpetual doubter

10. drezy

drezy Gold

I doubt that definition

Sean Waters likes this.
  11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I think couple days ago Jack posted about it.

Skeptic by definition can't be sure of anything.

I can imagine asymptotic approaching of something, but newer able to reach it by 100%.

drezy likes this.
  12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

drezy likes this.
  13. drezy

drezy Gold

I was just being skeptical of that.

@OptimalSkr posted an interesting description of true skepticism last weekend here:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...nal-skeptics-like-this-one.20219/#post-234119

Cool history and worth a listen to understand the flexibility skepticism.

For some reason it reminds me of a mental equivalent of a good boxer's footwork (aka don't get hit with feet planted too firmly).

14. Danny

Danny Gold

How old is your son?

15. drezy

drezy Gold

My son is 13.

16. Mayuri

Mayuri Silver

Thanks Dr. Jack.
    Today we submitted documentation to the town council to try and prevent a white elephant being constructed in the middle of our town with ramped up Gs and free Wi-Fi space and massive light pollution. The people of the town are against it and there's a big meeting later in the month. We really appreciate all these articles they are very helpful !!!

17. drezy

drezy Gold

Have you watched or read about Nora Volkow's work?

18. Mayuri

Mayuri Silver

No, I'll check it out. Thank you very much.

I think there is an extra incentive to be able to get the attention of those in power here because the health bill is borne by the government. The government's health bill in Oz is already through the roof from obesity, high blood pressure /stroke, cancer, diabetes. The suicide rate here among teenagers is really bad think it's 8 to 12 teenagers commit suicide every day.

People just don't know that they're surrounded by dangerous technology.

California just won a Supreme Court ruling against the telecommunications company there on the "right to be informed".

drezy likes this.
  19. drezy

drezy Gold

For a starter:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3184892/

That one still creeps me out.

@Mayuri you change your profile picture more often than I change jeans.

*Note to self: maybe it's time to change jeans

20. Mayuri

Mayuri Silver

You know? I think it has something do with anonymity to a lesser degree. Not everyone knew I had cancer.

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

It's a weird experience to go through. I found all too often, when you tell someone you have cancer they automatically think you're gonna die so I kept it to my family and close friends. We tell everyone about Dr Jack, so I figure they'll see me here sooner or later.