1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Screen time biohack

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Butters, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Some time ago I thought using laptop during daytime isnt as bad as at night.
    It seems I was dead wrong.
    So despite I already use f.lux on 2700K at daytime I plan to only use the laptop in the evening hours.
    Thoughts behind that are:

Pros:
    -blocking most of the fake blue light during the day
    -I already wear blueblockers in the evening so I will be protected
    -saving time during the day, because I cant drift away doing useless computer stuff in the daytime and use the daylight to the max
    -more focus on important things, because I dont just look something up on the computer

Cons:
    -when working on important things in need of the computer, attention may suffer in the evening
    -risk to stay up longer than usual, but that can easy be controlled

What do you guys say? Good idea or bad?
    Or would you guys say f.lux on 2700K for light protection is enough during the day (I think I know the answer already)?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Of course this is wrong. the color temperature of the computer does not equal the sun. The spectral density is far different.

3. Mitchell97

Mitchell97 New Member

I'd leave flux on 1200k all the time or use RedScreen (I prefer it over flux) and also take the computer outside or if you use it inside use some sort of eye protection. To change it to 1200k during the day, you set flux to 1200k for night time and during the day you change the time in the flux app to the night time settings. If you're going to use it at night I recommend you download RedScreen and dim the screen a lot to not lower melatonin production.

Penny likes this.
  4. Butters

Butters New Member

I already use f.lux on 1200K at night + blueblockers. I will try to lower the setting at daytime. But I have Windows and it seems to be set at 2700K minimum.
    I just tried RedScreen - doesnt do so much more. I already have the screen dimmed down to the minimum.

5. Penny

Penny New Member

IMHO, looking at this screen for more than 10 minutes a day will make my eyes burn... even with flux set to its lowest settings plus UVEX blue blockers on - outside, not so bad, but there is a lot of glare and the net book sucks speed wise - staying off the bloody thing is the best thing - at night - just do not go on it - your skin is still absorbing the light - in a pinch I will do the "darkroom" mode on flux which is really weird, but it is still a fail - really, find something else to do and if you have to go on it, print out stuff you want to read for later - the idea is to get back to nature, not keep limping along with techno-crap...

caroline and Alex97232 like this.