1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Scrambled eggs

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Gagnrad, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Inger

Inger Silver

Why is that?

2. Inger

Inger Silver

Gangrad I feed the ducks myself so I know what they get.. they do make a lot of mess LOL I do take care there have a pretty nice winter home tho. I always wash the egg in water so it is clean and nice before I crack it open.
    I never had an issue with raw eggs, not of any sort. I have eaten a ton of them for years now. But I only buy organic and from our own hens/duck. The duck eggs is so nice and fatty! The yolk is orange red color... so nice.

Gagnrad likes this.
  3. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I think that's probably the key.

Pork you've got potential problems with stuff like trichinosis; chicken and eggs, with salmonella. I suspect it all goes back to questionable animal husbandry practices, though.

I've heard Sally Fallon say that Louis Pasteur's solution for milk was actually a solution for filthy urban dairies in 19th-century Paris where the cows were fed on spent brewery grain and not much else. Yikes! I suspect she's right. Heat-treating the foodstuff seems a poor solution beside addressing the problem at a system-wide level.

Do you know Joel Salatin's stuff? E.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Sheer-Ecstasy-Being-Lunatic-Farmer/dp/0963810960/

Joel Salatin says he's only once had a bad case of sickness in animals, and he now realises it was the result of his doing something stupid.

He talks of moving animals around to keep the farm healthy, pointing out that if you put cows on concrete and stuck in a small corner of your farm, you've got all their dung and urine concentrated in a small area, which (a) causes pollution problems and (b) will also mean you have poor meadows because none is falling there. He has it all worked out -- like a kind of symbiosis -- so that his chickens scratch around where his cattle were, and so on. So clever.

I've seen old accounts that speak of Plains Indian encampments as being filthy. But, being nomadic, Plains Indians never stayed anywhere long, so that wouldn't have mattered.

I think you get problems where you have permanent set-ups that are dirty, overly cramped, and not properly thought out at a systems level.

I should suppose that Paleolithic people ate the eggs of waterfowl raw. You can roast eggs in the ashes of a fire, and maybe they did that, too, but I bet they usually didn't bother. If we really can't do the same, the question has to be: "Why?"

I bet no-one's going to stop the French making mayonnaise.

4. Tanya

Tanya Gold

In addition to my previously mentioned reason for avoiding egg whites in general, I would be especially concerned about raw egg whites. They contain avidin - glycoprotein that binds to biotin and prevents its absorption. Cooking egg, destroys only one third of avidin. Raw egg whites also contain inhibitors of trypsin enzyme and therefore significantly reduce protein digestion

5. badger

badger New Member

Big +1 for Joel Salatin !

I love my scrambled eggs with calves brains. Helps that I can get em for $1 apeice, fresh..

This is the recipe I use. You have to dance when making this dish.

minus the rustic country bread...

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I do this a lot after Feb 15.......in smoothies

7. Inger

Inger Silver

I think the issue is way smaller with fertilized eggs. Not sure why anymore but there is a difference

8. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I am not so sure about that either, Inger, but it is quite possible…..

9. Tanya

Tanya Gold

The inquiring mind wants to know what else is going into that smoothie recipe? :)

10. acasey

acasey New Member

I scramble mind medium with a couple of sardines. Also, I like cottage cheese omelets. I chop spring onions and add to cottage cheese.

11. Hunger4More

Hunger4More New Member

The best way I've found to scramble eggs, everyone who tries them, raves about them:

Add some fresh chives and smoked salmon... you've got a damn near optimal breakfast there!

fitness@home likes this.
  12. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I liked adding chopped garlic, onion or asparagus for sure :) Gotta get my sulfur and cysteine going.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

When I do eggs, as I did this AM, I tgo raw in smoothies or poached. I am not a fan of scrambled eggs because it ruins the fat profile by cooking.

Scompy likes this.
  14. Scompy

Scompy Gold

This is very close to what I've been doing:

15. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Do you ever eat them poached and served over fresh greens, with crumbled bacon and goat cheese. good olive oil, vinegar, pink salt, fresh cracked pepper....so damn good.

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I eat them over guacomole and tomatoes

Snowie and thisbirdhaswings like this.
  17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

It is quick and easy to drink an egg.
    Make two holes, one on each end, suck it in, untill you heard a pop.

18. I did this today, with some crumbled bacon. Yum.

19. RobertEzank

RobertEzank New Member

Hi, I remember reading that cooking the yoke " scrambled" oxidized the fats and makes it not so good for you.... any thoughts ? of course lightly cooked is better...... ever since I read that I often think of that when I want to scramble and usually just do over easy or poached?

20. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Over easy still gets the albumin fried up and changes the configuration more negative. Not that great compared to poached. Over-easy is a last alternative, or doing the eggs low-heat over-easy and keeping the yolks runny and taking them out, then scrambling the whites a bit for a runny-yolky scrambled eggs.