1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Scrambled eggs

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Gagnrad, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I wonder how people like to do these.

They seem quite a good option -- cleaning the pan aside -- since you can get a good bit of fat into them. Same, to some extent with omelettes, but not with boiled or even fried eggs.

I understand the classic method is as follows. Take a small thick-based saucepan and, off the heat, put in a tablespoon of butter for each person; break in two eggs per person. (There's no need to beat the eggs first, because they get plenty of stirring from before the pan begins to warm and because, classically, you don't add milk.) So then, on a very low heat, stir pretty much continuously, removing from the heat temporarily, if the mixture begins to thicken too quickly and unevenly. When it begins to thicken nicely but has not gone to far and begun to set, season with salt and pepper and serve. You can also "finish" it with a tablespoon of double cream, letting it heat briefly afterwards, and finally stir in a handful of chopped fresh herbs, if you've got them. the secret seems to be very slow and even heating: I believe in the old days chefs would even use a bain marie (a water-bath) to ensure that.

Here's what I tried this morning. I thought I had some ham, but hadn't, but I had some ducjk eggs and some peppers and spring onions. I put 2 teaspoons of duck fat and 1 of ghee in a saucepan (I'm avoiding milk solids at the moment). In that I gently cooked the chopped vegetables. Took it off the heat and cracked in the duck eggs while stirring, so they didn't start to cook before they were mixed. I then continued cooking on the heat, finishing with salt and pepper and some turmeric.

It was too bland and too sweet. I think something like this should work for a quick Paleo breakfast, but this was not quite right. Butter seems just right, and other fats just aren't the same. Maybe it needed more salt (since butter is usually salted already)? Perhaps spring onions are really only for salad?

2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I think scrambled eggs all depends on the quality of the egg otherwise they are a bland food. I like your breakfast but what i would do is this . I would cook teh ham vegetables separately so you can fry them hard which will give them more flavour. I do scrambled eggs as you do,perhaps with the exception that both the butter and the eggs are put into a cold pot and then put onto the fire. Maybe I misunderstood and you do the same.

3. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

I like my scrambled eggs moist and creamy, which is achieved by low heat and patience. :)
    And I like them fat...

<Geek warning>

I melt a big tablespoon of coconut oil per egg in a pot and when it's warm enough to make a water drop dance I add the eggs. In the eggs I have some salt and vinegar (lemon juice etc. would work fine as well) because:
    - acids decrease the pH, which decreases the proteins' negative charge
    - salt dissolves into positive and negative charged ions that cluster around the charged proteins and neutralize them
    So, the proteins won't be as repelled from each other and will bond together sooner, at a lower temperature, while they still can't connect with each other as tightly = moist and creamy.

Anyway, I stir constantly and remove from heat while they are still somewhat undercooked, because they will keep thickening due to the residual heat.

<Side note>
    If you add milk/cream to the eggs, the proteins will be surrounded by more water and the proteins will have to be warmer to find a bond, i.e. increased cooking temperature.
    Also, if you add some form of sugar, sucrose molecules will surround the proteins, which also will result in an increased cooking temperature.
    <End of side note>

<End of geek warning>

Having said that, I prefer my scrambled eggs creamy and simple, with a little black pepper and salt on top.
    Maybe with a grass fed beef chorizo on the side. :)

4. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Thanks, Lahelada. Yes, I usually do the same as you.

This time I was trying to have vegetables in the eggs, but it didn't really work. Not a good choice of vegetables perhaps -- just what I happened to have. And maybe, as you say, it was the eggs that were too bland. I like duck eggs, but I think hen's eggs might be better in a dish like this.

I had what one does with one of those Italian open-faced omelettes (frittata?) partly in mind. I've seen those suggested as a paleo breakfast and used to make them with all kinds of seasonal veg and sometimes chopped bacon or ham or grated gruyere as well. They do take longer, though, and need putting under the grill, so it's more fuss on a weekday.

Coconut oil then, Rerun. Jimmy Moore uses that -- though I think he says he uses a frying pan and cooks the eggs fast so that the whites and yolks cook somewhat separately.

I might try coconut oil. I don't really care for it, though. I sometimes eat a spoonful from the jar for health's sake, but the taste doesn't suit me somehow. I do like coconut flesh and coconut water, just not the oil.

5. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I used to hate coconut oil until I tried a different brand. Now I just want to put it everywhere.

6. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Thanks for the tip.

I'm using Biona organic coconut oil. I think Biona is actually a German company, but their coconut oil is the most easily obtainable organic one round here. I'll try someone else's next time.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

MCT has no taste .....

8. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

I make mine very different and people like them. They are not creamy or runny but fluffy and drier. I crack them into a bowl with a good splash of milk (I use maybe a tbs per egg) and then whip them by hand with a whisk. I then take a huge knob of butter and heat it over medium until it gets hot and then add the eggs. I cook mine until they are totally done and fluffy. I have to have mine with cheddar cheese melted in with salt on top. My husband eats his with mozarella cheese and BBQ sauce and Texas Pete.

I know culinarily speaking it isn't the correct way to make them but I just can't do warm and "loose" eggs. I'm not scared of getting sick, it's just a textural issue for me. I don't have them much anymore because with PCOS I'm trying to stay off the dairy. Now I just fry them in coconut oil.

9. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

I have both refined and unrefined coconut oil. I use unrefined when I want the coconut flavor.

As for the veggie/egg thing, I never got into it. I make omelets for my husband but the veggies must be cooked separately because they tend to expel a lot of water when they cook.

Guys, have you seen the little scrambled egg muffins? You can also line the pans with bacon.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/scrambled-egg-muffins

10. nicld

nicld Gold

I can't do "loose" egg either, blahhhhhh. All this talk of eggs I might have to have some tomorrow. I did make my DDD 4 eggs and cottage cheese for lunch the other day and by the time it was supper, we had a hard time feeding her. I need to have the hubby give her some more of that for breakfast.

11. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Yummy recipes here, but I don't do scrambled eggs anymore after learning that breaking egg yolk for this or in an omelet immediately oxidizes the cholesterol in it. The healthiest way to eat an egg is poached or soft boiled. In my case I need to go a step more because of my AI situation and eat egg yolks only….

12. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Do you ever eat the egg yolks raw, Tanya? The Caveman Doctor (Colin Champ) is a big fan of that -- probably because he doesn't get time to cook them, by the sound of his working hours!

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Dr.K. had talked about a smoothie he sometimes does with raw eggs and coconut milk etc...
    I, too, Think the less cooking the better for eggs.
    The smoothie recipe may be in his ecookbook?

14. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

How is it with the biotin vs avidin story?
    I once learnt that raw egg whites should be avoided, because they contain avidin, which binds biotin. I remember some source saying that the avidin from one egg white can bind more biotin than there is in one yolk and thus cause biotin deficiency.
    So I mostly fry my eggs - I fry them so that the whites coagulate more or less completely (which of course denatures the other proteins as well) and put raw yolks on top.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

you are hard core.....:D

16. Inger

Inger Silver

I always eat my eggs raw..... makes me feel way better than cooked! I often take a duck egg, break it into a glass and drink the whole think just like that. I think it is yummy! The whites and the yolk both. Sometimes I ditch the whites but I usually do both.

17. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

You win this one! I sometimes eat the yolks of hens' eggs raw, but I've never done so with duck eggs.

Duck eggs are said to be dodgier, because ducks are, apparently, given to poking around in rubbish. I read that pre-war duck eggs in Germany actually had to be sold with a little paper label stuck to them instructing the buyer to hardboil the egg.

I expect it's over-blown. I have tended to give duck eggs a little more cooking than I would a hen's egg ... but not always. And they're evidently doing you no harm raw.

18. Tanya

Tanya Gold

No, I don't and only because of my AI condition. I need to be extra careful there.

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Authorities seem to emphasize cooking animal sources of cysteine thoroughly. Pork, chicken, eggs.

Tanya likes this.
  20. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Yes, especially pork and egg whites…...