1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

school

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by MrPinkies, Apr 5, 2013.

1. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

What do you pack in your kids lunch box???

~Kate

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

I don't have young kids anymore but I am sure you will get lots of ideas here. Have you gone to the website ...Nom Nom paleo? She has great recipes and two little boys....

3. We homeschool, but often pack up food to take with us wherever we go. Our staples include things like cut up veggies like carrots, bell pepper, celery, cucumbers. We also often grill veggies like bell peppers, stuffed jalapenos and mini peppers wrapped in bacon, zucchini, eggplant and mushrooms, and they love the grilled veggies. Zucchini "latkes" is another favorite.

Meats like salami, leftover grass-fed burgers, meatloaf, sausage, or meatballs; salmon, sardines (or salmon, or tuna) mixed with Bubbie's relish, mustard, and hard boiled eggs, crab cakes,; soups and stews in a thermos like green chile stew, clam or seafood chowder, texas-style chili, etc. I also make a variety of casserole type dishes like red chile enchiladas made with grass-fed beef and eggplant for the "tortillas," butternut squash lasagna, frittatas, etc.

Thankfully my kids are not picky at all, so they happily eat lots of veggies. We also always keep frozen blueberries and rasberries on hand, too. I don't bake a lot, but if I did, I can think of a whole lot of other ideas. Some of the paleo cookbooks have good ideas for make-ahead food items that can be frozen and then used later.

4. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I have a middle schooler and one in elementary school and we do a variety of the following for packed lunches:

- meatballs
    - salmon spread with cut up veggies (smoked salmon/cream cheese mix)
    - roast beef
    - burgers
    - lettuce wraps (with ham, bacon, etc)
    - salads with bacon
    - beef stew / chili in a thermos

For sides they'll often take carrots or cut up peppers with ranch dip, muffins (grain free, of course!), homemade 'larabars,' berries, raw cheese and yogurt. It's definitely more difficult with my middle schooler because she tends to get made fun of for having "different" lunches. My 8-year old son couldn't care less what people say, so he's pretty easy!

5. Oh Yes! Lettuce wraps for sure. Another favorite, for those not opposed to deli meats (we buy the best quality we can find) is using ham or roast beef as the wrap material, and stuffing with cukes, peppers, avocado, jicama, etc.

A good friend of mine has a daughter who has life-threatening allergies to nuts, dairy, and soy, and she has become very creative with her food ideas. I like this list of ideas, which is where I got the meat-wrap idea.

http://www.consciouseatery.com/2012/08/whats-for-lunch.html

6. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I have an 8, 10, and 12 year old. Lunch is a tricky one for us. My 8 yr old especially is concerned about not having a sandwich.....he really wants a damn sandwich..lol

A lot of what I do I know is still not optimal. It is grain free and organic and I am trying!!

Apples and nut butter
    Larabars
    Kefir
    organic lunch meat rolled up
    cheese sticks
    shrimp
    leftover meats...especially beef and chicken kebab style
    chicken salad made with organic mayo, almonds and grapes
    seaweed....they love seaweed!
    sometimes I make mac and cheese with corn pasta...probably a big no no but they loooove it!

For his birthday my 8 yr old kept saying all he wanted was a lunchable! what the hell! This kid does not have any memory of junk food like my older ones do...it is so strange.
    He also tells me that as soon as he learns to drive he is driving to mc donalds. SMH.

7. kathylu

kathylu Gold

My son demands bread too. It's a constant struggle, occasionally I give in but only gluten free breads. He likes "bread-like" items made from coconut flour, so I will make "paleo" pancakes and muffins once a week. He also eats more fruit than I would like. However, his diet is light years better than any other child I know.